Led Zeppelin 1, UK Red and Plum label, let's discuss!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Geoman076, Mar 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VinylNutz

VinylNutz Active Member

Sung: Thanks for your anaysis on LZ I. It's helped me target which UK orange/plum copy to seek out. I have a LZ III UK original with A-5/B-5 matrices which I like better than any other copy I've heard including the Classic Records version. Any sight on LZ III editions or maybe this should be a new thread?

2. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Just curious, where are did you pick up your UK original? Between local record stores and Canadian online vendors, all I seem to see around are Canadian pressings and occasionally US (unfortunately, never the mythical RL LZIIs). I haven't yet paid much attention to overseas online retailers. Perhaps that's the way to go.

3. I believe it, Sung. :agree:

I've done several shootouts over the years only to find that I was way off when I upgraded my system. :realmad:

jeff kleinberg likes this.
  4. VinylNutz

VinylNutz Active Member

I got mine from the UK through the wonders of Ebay. The shipping is expensive, about double North American rates, but worth it for my favourite UK bands where I would like an historic copy. Apparently, the A-5/B-5s are the first pressing with a credit to Peter Grant on the label. This credit was quickly removed on subsequent pressings even on the orange/plum label. They are fairly common on Ebay with prices varying widely. I got mine for about GBP 10 plus about GBP 6 shipping or about $38 CDN. The LP and cover are in VG++ condition with working wheel and laminated cover. This is a great sounding copy which I prefer to the Classic Records reissue which is nice sounding but too tame compared to the UK. The UK original has a really kick *** sound that gets your toes tapping. I haven't compared the UK to an early Canadian or US pressing though. That would be interesting.

5. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

i just got a (kid you not) nm orignal 1 with the -A matrixes on both side. got it as a throw in from somebody on ebay who i bought a ludwig II from. just took it out of the 2b cleaned pile and noticed that it has a paste on back cover. cleaned it up and playing it now and it really does rock. i have the classic reissue and this is certainly different sounding. not has huge sounding, but more air around the instruments. would love to find a piros cut as i love his stuff, but im liking this copy a lot.

6. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

by the way, who was/is "rg"?

7. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

I have a original UK Plum and an original US Broadway Atlantic, but IMO, the Classic reissue beats them both in sonics, detail, and prescence.

8. Chrisinger

Chrisinger New Member

Led Zeppelin II Pressings

I have a Zep II SD-19127 With side one having a AT and a (PR) on deadwax and AT GP (obviously George Piros) on side two. This album has a heavy cardboard cover with 1841 Broadway on inside of gatefold if that matters. I have to say that the vinyl is extremley quiet and sounds overall outstanding, im sure if i hear other pressings more often i may find my copy of Zep II subpar to the others but again mine sounds incredible. If anyone can add anything to this post im eager to learn more! Chris

9. Hi everybody,

I am new to this particular thread. I have not read ALL the contributions however I'd like to add this:

I have a UK orange-plum labelled Led Zeppelin I. The sleeve does NOT have turqoise lettering but the later orange lettering.
    The full complete matrix numbers are:

Side A: 588 171 A // 1 1 2 Notes: The second 8 is crossed out and a hand written 8 scribed above it. The 3rd and fourth song have no spacing between them.
    Side B: 588 171 B // 1 1 01 Notes: The second 8 is crossed out and a hand written 8 scribed above it. The side appears to have only two tracks.

Label Credits: songs are registered to either Warner Bros / 7 Arts or Jewel Music

So if I have understood the majority of the contributions above, it seems I have a first pressing with second labels in a second sleeve.
    But I'd be happy to be corrected.
    Thanks!

Bas

10. kippenhok

kippenhok Forum Resident

I have an identical copy and I came to the same conclusion.

Bas Mollenkramer likes this.
  11. Thanks for writing. Much appreciated. Leuk dat je schrijft. Hartelijke groet uit Amersfoort! Inmiddels blijk ik ook een echte aller aller eerste LZIII te bezitten.

12. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

This is only my opinion, my UK A1/B1 is fine, but my US "AT/GP' copy is a much better sounding record - it trounces my UK original.

13. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I just received a plum label A1/B4 pressing that was listed on eBay as never played and it is absolutely mint both cover and record. The new reissues caused me to want to complete my UK collection.
    Now I have a US AT/GP, UK plum label, Classic, Japanese 3rd issue and the new remaster. Can't wait to give this a spin!

hi_watt and shinedaddy like this.
  14. vinyl collector

vinyl collector New Member

Hello im wondering if anyone has heard of these? : I have two Led Zeppelin 1 Atlantic 1969 uk orange lettered Red/Maroon labels. The 1st cover has the silver line,the labels have small print and an A//1 A side matrix and a corrected B side matrix with extra gaps, apparantly barely any were made like this! Story has it that this is the very very 1st pressing orange lettered LZ1 other words side one has the 8 crossed and replaced with an 8 above like pretty much all orange lettered covers what makes this extremely rare is side 2 has the 588 171 without the 8 crossed out just like the 1st press Turqouise! Both of my vinyls are the same except the other has no silver line, but at the top of the cover has 1 cm gap above the LZ which is meant to be very rare also! Both these albums I believe are the true 1st pressing which came immediately after the Turqouise, and both excellent condition! any one out there seen these before? oh and most I have seen that say they are 1st pressings have Warner Bros / 7 Arts Jewel music on the same line, as mine have Warner Bros / 7 Arts on one line then Jewel music below Warner Bros on a second line! ANYONE?

15. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I've seen an Orange lettered LZ I with the same matrix details as the Turquoise copies i.e. non crossed out 8 and with the Superhype credit. Not many but I have come across some.

Regarding the Warner Bros / 7 Arts question, I was wondering the same thing. I've seen both variations but can't really work out why or how or when!

vinyl collector likes this.
  16. vinyl collector

I have seen one years ago they must be super rare!

17. vinyl collector

and both of mine are Orange lettered LZ1 with same matrix as the Turqouise on side 2 but have the 8 crossed out on side 1 they are both with the Warner Bros credit with jewel music on a second line. I would love to hear from someone with these same pressings, I am also wondering what they would actually be worth. I have seen plenty of Turqouise for sale lately just none of these! are these weirdly rarer haha please help someone???

18. vinyl collector

You seem to know your stuff on LZ Records,could you please go to my Question at the end of this feed and if you can answer Thankyou.

19. jcmusic

jcmusic Forum Resident

I have a copy with A-1/B-1 Matrix #'s and it is one of the best sounding records I owe period, it is not turqoise color cover. The cover has the grey stripe at the bottom, what really makes this record sound so good is it is dead quiet through out even between tracks kinda amazing.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  20. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Your Led Zep IV has an orange/plum label? :confused:

21. vinyl collector

has yours got the 8 scratched out? My two copys have the A//1 matrix 8 etched , side 2 has no 8 etched (same as Turqouise) I have two different covers / one with the silver line at the bottom and one without the silver line but about a centermetre gap betweem the top and the LZ Orange writing, I have been told this is very rare also!

22. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

You've never seen a UK pressing of IV?

jeff

23. jcmusic

jcmusic Forum Resident

I would have to look at it again I think it has something x out just don't remember, the grey stripe on the bottom of the cover indicates very early pressing. At least that is my understanding...

24. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Not that I recall. I have a UK LZII. The reason I asked is the label colors changed in the U.S. well before IV came out.
    I haven't seen enough UK Zep albums to know the history of the labels.

25. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

The plum label was used on Zep I to IV. Houses used the familiar Atlantic Orange & Green logo and then from PG onwards it was the Swan Song logo.

Eddie

Six String likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.