Curious about the age at which Beatles fans began to like them.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by David Ellis, Aug 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Allen Michael

Allen Michael Fuh you blue

1987 beginning of my 6th grade year!! First album was the Red album!

2. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Yer slaying me, David. What I wouldn't give to have walked in your winklepickers.

spindly likes this.
  3. David Ellis

David Ellis Forum Resident Thread Starter

Did you miss Love Me Do or were you too young?

4. Christobal

Christobal Forum Resident

I was about 8 or 9 in 1977 when I saw A Hard Days Night on TV and was transformed. My mom said "I have a few old albums of theirs" and produced the US AHDN soundtrack and Beatles 65. A few months later, she offered up her Sgt. Pepper and I was on my way!

5. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

In 1979. I was 14 and lost interest in football (soccer) and decided that I liked music better instead. I relied on radio for my Beatles fix and then managed to get Rubber Soul about 5 months after that. Also the BBC showed 6 Beatles movies that Christmas so there was no going back

6. David Ellis

It was a two minute conversation something like- Us - you're John Lennon and Paul McCartney aren't you, Them - yes, Us - what are you doing there? Them - waiting for this shop to open, Us - why, Them - because we want to buy something, Us - Got to get home our Mum's will be waiting and I'm hungry, Them - okay then, see yuh.

spindly and AFOS like this.
  7. Dr-Winston

Dr-Winston Forum Resident

I was around 11 years old, the films were all shown on the BBC, Lennon's death had piqued my interest a year or so before (I bought Woman) and the re-release of Love Me Do (it got in the charts!) all combined to take me over the edge. I taped my Mum's copy of The Red Album and never looked back. I asked her why she didn't have The Blue Album and she told me that they had gone a bit weird after that...

David Ellis likes this.
  8. agaraffa

agaraffa Senior Member

70's - I was in 5th grade and although I knew them already, I really became a fan due to a good friend of mine. After school we'd go over his house, sit on his bedroom floor and spin albums... mostly the White Album and Hey Jude. Great memories!

David Ellis likes this.
  9. David Ellis

My mum wouldn't let me have winkle pickers, only sensible school shoes. Those were the days. I'd sue them for child abuse today:laugh:

action pact likes this.
  10. sgb

sgb Senior Member

I had turned 19 in December, 1963, just before the explosion of Beatlemania in January 1964.

11. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"Came to them in '70".

I was almost 12 in the spring of 1979 when I decided it'd be fun to see "Beatlemania" on stage. That was it - I was a fan!

agaraffa likes this.
  12. BuddhaBob

BuddhaBob Forum Resident

I saw them on the cover of LIFE magazine when they hit NYC. I was 9 and watched them on the Ed Sullivan Show--totally took me in. I have been a fan ever since.

13. greenwichsteve

greenwichsteve Well-Known Member

As an only child, I think I missed it as my parents weren't into much pop music at the time, so we never listened to the sort of radio programme that would play it. I knew Cliff Richard and Elvis Presley and that was about it. That situation changed very quickly after PPM!

14. Damien DiAngelo

Damien DiAngelo Forum Resident

I became a fan in the mid 1990's, around the time the Anthologys came out. I would have been around 24 years old.
    Before that point, I didn't think much of them. My attitude was that they had a few good songs, but other than that, they sucked.
    Then one Saturday, my roommate's friend brought over his blue box set to listen to, since I had a working turntable, and he didn't. We spent that day drinkin', smokin', and listening to the Beatles. We decided to start with 'Help' and go forward in order from there.
    I quickly realized that they had more than "a few" good songs, and they were actually pretty awesome. They've been one of my top favorites since then.

David Ellis likes this.
  15. Thwacko

Thwacko Forum Resident

I wasn't born until 1977. I grew up with "oldies" thanks to my dad, so I don't remember a time when I didn't like the Beatles. By the early 90's I was pretty sick of hearing about them, and sick of people in my generation who were obsessed with them to the detriment of making new music. In the early 2000's I picked up "Rubber Soul" and "Revolver" on CD and haven't looked back since.

jeatleboe likes this.
  16. David Ellis

As you've probably read I can relate to that.

17. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

So much awesome in this post.

13 in 1980 when I first got into them - not long after I became a fan John was killed.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  18. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I was three years old

19. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I became a fan in late 1994 at the age of 14 with the release of Live At The BBC (I also borrowed the Red and Blue albums from someone- those were a blast to listen to for the first time) and into 1995 with Anthology 1.

I then started to buy the studio albums. That was a fun couple of years buying all the studio albums and the next two Anthology CD sets. :)

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  20. David Ellis

21. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

At the beginning - at lucky 7.

22. gotityet0

gotityet0 vinyl nut

A fan from the beginning, at least from the U.S. 63' is when I first became aware of them. I was only 4 or 5yrs. old

23. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I was born in 1970, but I had several older siblings who were already into the Fabs, so they seemed very much alive growing up in my household. Some of my earliest childhood memories center around their music.

David Ellis likes this.
  24. sbeck201

sbeck201 Forum Resident

From when I was 9 in 1963.

25. Came to them in 1970, at age 12. Before that I had always liked them - they were everywhere and you could'nt escape that wonderful music - but I guess I was confused by their rapid evolution (image included), and I couldn't be / didn't feel the need to be a music consumer yet.

It came to me as a shock in fact. I was waisting away that summer's vacations and had all these late period Beatles hit songs in my head. I mentionned it to a pal. He took me home, where his older brother had all those singles, with that neat apple on the label spinning like crazy, and the sound blasting out of a remote speaker he had set out in the garden. And on top of that, he played electric guitar (an ordinary axe, but a cool old Gibson tube amp!) The Hot Wheels got stashed under the bed for good. My life was then changed forever!

David Ellis likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.