Neil Young readies Pono music service for expansion Part 3

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by stereoptic, Mar 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. htom

htom Senior Member

Unless you produce the physical copy (and I'm sure no music vendor wants to handle this kind of system) I don't think there is any simple proof of ownership, especially for digital music in any form. So I can't see this ever working.

darkmass likes this.
  2. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Stereosound, I really appreciate these updates from the Pono forum. Thanks for sharing.
    Jeff

3. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Maybe I'm crazy, but I'm counting on Neil albums like Time Fades Away being available in that format.

4. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Yep, just like a phone without a physical keyboard, Dead in the water.

5. cwsiggy

cwsiggy Forum Resident

Well, it looks like the albums on the artist Pono Players are announced.

My Petty gets Hypnotic Eye and Wildflowers in .... 24/48 for Hypnotic Eye (supposedly this was the native recording at their Clubhouse and not 96 like some speculate.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/music/...mpelling-new-hypnotic-eye/#!bKKbEeWildflowers in

Wildflowers in 24/96

I won't even mention the Dave Mathews (ok I will, 16/44!!!!) enjoy your cd quality.

again - probably not their fault, but if Dave Mathews or anyone is signing on with a LE model - to put out a Redbook recording for this Hi rez players launch is frankly just plain wrong and stupid.

Oh - if you bought a Neil Pono - enjoy a Letter Home... ROFL... in high rez! Neil is taking a real poo on people with that choice , sorry but it's true.

Pono is not off to a good start in my opinion. ....

The winning artist Pono is the CSNY which gives the 1974 box set!! in 24/192 and CSNY in 24/192.

I'm still hoping they do well, but my guess is this will simply fade to a middle aged balding man's niche ... (oh wait - it already is... )

Robert C, tim185 and jhm like this.
  6. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Where's the list for what albums the special edition players got?

I almost sprang for the Grateful Dead player. But I already have the studio albums in high res and I figured they'd select two of the studio albums to go on the player. So I'd end up with two albums I already have in high res. Did I choose wisely?

7. cwsiggy

cwsiggy Forum Resident

I think you have to go to the Pono forum boards. I got my info from a bud who texted me.

I can't find any info on the Dead - I almost ordered that one.

8. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

The PonoMusic forum confuses me. It's not a regular style forum like I'm used to. Hard to navigate and figure out how it's organized. I did a text search on the discussion area and FAQ and didn't find any info.

I may kick myself if they selected two live albums that I don't have rather than the studio albums. But it's all OK either way. I was looking for excuses not to gamble $400 on the Special Edition player rather than just gamble $300 on the regular player.

9. hogger_reborn

hogger_reborn Active Member

I really don't think it's going to go anywhere. Most people seem happy with lossy files - shown by declining CD sales and growing download sales.

Also, how does he expect this music player to compete with the likes of the iPod? Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they say the selling price would be ~$400? That's crazy considering the Fiio X3 and X5 already sound good and cost less. Even an iPod Classic sounds good to my ears with a good set of cans.

Not to mention, Hydrogenaudio has blind test after blind test showing that not many people can even tell a difference between a CD and halfway decent lossy file most of the time anyway.

Mazzy and GetHappy!! like this.
  10. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

1. Fiio is not likely to be as good as a Charlie Hansen player although the price is a concern.
    2. iPod Classic is just okay sounding. I'm slightly disappointed in mine. In fact I think my 5S sounds much better.
    3. Hydrogenaudio as usual doesn't know what they are doing. A misleading site run by amateurs.

11. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Yikes, if the NY selection is true that is insulting.

The other part of your post painfully hits a little too close to home. :laugh:

12. cwsiggy

cwsiggy Forum Resident

True - millions of Sally Soccermoms like their Ipods and that's fine.

I don't think it is trying to compete with an Ipod. It's trying to simply be one of the better portable higher end music delivery devices.

The pricing is probably about right for what you get - theoretically we are getting one of the better portables with Ayre Acoustics tweaking, large capacitors (hence the shape) and zero feedback design for a toasty warm yummy analogy sound... we'll see.

I'm going to guess it will blow the doors off the FiiO which I have not heard good things about.

It is a niche product, but at least I know what I'm getting. - a pretty cool toy priced much lower than the Astell and Kerns of the world with large capacitors, Ayre implementation for a warm sound that will let me play my ripped vinyl Flac's without getting off the couch every 22 minutes with a cool Tom Petty chrome skin.

They are really trying to create the storefront - that's where the money is and I wish them luck, but consumers will not pay those prices for "high rez"

That was the famous question asked of John Hamm at the SXSW festival... "What's your cut?"

13. cwsiggy

cwsiggy Forum Resident

I'm balder than everyone on this forum combined! really... :D

14. hogger_reborn

hogger_reborn Active Member

Even there, their Pono Store is still going to be limited by the fact that they'll sell what the music labels give them. If the music labels give them the same shoddy mastering we get in most other places, what will be the point? They would be better off doing like MFSL or AF and doing their own masterings to sell on the Pono Store.

500Homeruns likes this.
  15. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

Thank you. You're welcome.

16. Stereosound

Pono has announced that the Neil Young Artist Signature Series LE for Kickstarter backers will include:

A Letter Home - 192 kHz/24-bit

Harvest - 192 kHz/24-bit
    Description
    Discussion: Neil Young Signature Series LE

Details surrounding recording provenance and the artists choices will be included here as this information becomes available to Pono.

Pono has announced that the Buffalo Springfield Series LE for Kickstarter backers will include:

Buffalo Springfield - 88 kHz/24 bit

Buffalo Springfield Again - 88 kHz/24 bit

Description
    Discussion:Buffalo Springfield Signature Series LE

Details surrounding recording provenance and the artists choices will be included here as this information becomes available to Pono

Pono has announced that theCSN&Y Series LE for Kickstarter backers will include:

CSNY 1974 - 192 kHz /24 Bit
    Deja Vu - 192 kHz /24 Bit

Description
    Discussion:CSN&Y Signature Series LE

Details surrounding recording provenance and the artists choices will be included here as this information becomes available to Pono.

Pono has announced that the Dave Matthews Band Artist Signature Series LE for Kickstarter backers will include:

Crash - 44 kHz/16-bit
    Under the Table and Dreaming - 44.1 kHz/16-bit
    Description
    Discussion: Dave Matthews Band Artist Signature Series LE

Pono has announced that the Kings of Leon Artist Signature Series LE for Kickstarter backers will include:
    Mechanical Bull (Deluxe Version) - 44.1 kHz/24-bit
    Only By The Night - 44.1 kHz/16-bit
    Description
    Discussion: Kings of Leon Artist Signature Series LE

Pono has announced that the Neil Young and Crazy Horse Artist Signature Series LE for Kickstarter backers will include:

Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere - 192 kHz/24 Bit

Psychedelic Pill - 192 kHz/24 Bit
    Description
    Discussion:Neil Young and Crazy Horse Signature Series LE

Pono has announced that the Tom Petty Artist Signature Series LE for Kickstarter backers will include:

Hypnotic Eye - 48 kHz/24-bit

Wildflowers - 96 kHz/24-bit
    Description
    Discussion: Tom Petty Artist Signature Series LE

Pono has announced that the Foo Fighters Artist Signature Series LE for Kickstarter backers will include:
    Foo Fighters - 44.1 kHz/24-bit
    Wasting Light - 192 kHz/24-bit
    Description
    Discussion: Foo Fighters Artist Signature Series LE

Pono has announced that the Willie Nelson Artist Signature Series LE for Kickstarter backers will include:
    Red Headed Stranger - 96 kHz/24-bit

Teatro - 44.1 kHz/16-bit
    Description
    Discussion: Willie Nelson Artist Signature Series LE

Pono has announced that the Beck Artist Signature Series LE for Kickstarter backers will include:

Mutations - 192 kHz/24 Bit

Seachange - 192 kHz/24 Bit
    Description
    Discussion: Beck Signature Series LE

Details surrounding recording provenance and the artists choices will be included here as this information becomes available to Pono

Pono has announced that the Pearl Jam Artist Signature Series LE for Kickstarter backers will include:

Lightning Bolt - 44.1 KHz/24 bit
    vs. (Expanded Edition) - 44.1 KHz/24 bit
    Description
    Discussion: Pearl Jam Artist Signature Series LE

Pono has announced that the Elton John Artist Signature Series LE for Kickstarter backers will include:

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - 96 Khz /24 bit
    The Diving Board - 44.1 KHz / 24 bit
    Description
    Discussion: Elton John Artist Signature Series LE

Pono has announced that the Norah Jones Artist Signature Series LE for Kickstarter backers will include:

Come away with me -
    192 kHz/24-bit
    Little Broken Hearts -
    44.1 kHz/24-bit
    Description
    Discussion: Norah Jones Artist Signature Series LE

Pono has announced that the Crosby, Still & Nash Artist Signature Series LE for Kickstarter backers will include:
    Crosby, Stills & Nash - 192 kHz/24-bit
    CSN 2012 - 192 kHz/24-bit
    Description
    Discussion: Crosby, Stills & Nash Artist Signature Series LE

Announcement
    Pono has announced that the Lenny Kravitz Artist Signature Series LE for Kickstarter backers will include:

Are You Gonna Go My Way
    - 192 kHz/24-bit

Let Love Rule (20th Anniversary Deluxe)
    - 44.1 kHz/24-bit

Description
    Discussion: Lenny Kravitz Artist Signature Series LE

Pono has announced that the Patti Smith Artist Signature Series LE for Kickstarter backers will include:

Banga - 44.1 Khz/16 bit
    Horses - 44.1 KHz/16 bit
    Description
    Discussion: Patti Smith Artist Signature Series LE

Pono has announced that The Eagles Artist Signature Series LE for Kickstarter backers will include:

Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975- 192 KHz / 24 bit
    Long Road Out of Eden - 192 KHz /24 bit
    Description
    Discussion: The Eagles Signature Series LE

Artist album picks for the limited edition players of ZZ Top, James Taylor, My Morning Jacket, Metallica, Lyle Lovett, Emmylou Harris, Kenny Rogers, Grateful Dead, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Jackson Browne, Arcade Fire, Portugal The Man, Herbie Hancock and Tegan And Sara have not been released yet. Nor is there any info. if any or what/will be included as possible high res demo tracks with any of the regular black/yellow players or even the clear player. There was talk at one point of a possibility of including some tracks or something.

stereoptic and Ham Sandwich like this.
  17. Bolero

Bolero Senior Member

I plan on buying one of those things

18. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

I ordered the Beck one. Seachange (really, they wrote that as one word?) is nothing new, but Mutations hasn't been released hirez that I'm aware of.

19. GetHappy!!

GetHappy!! Forum Resident

There was a Canadian promo copy of Mutations that was released before the compression was applied to the standard copy, but no hi-res that I'm aware of. It was also HDCD, if I'm not mistaken?

20. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

Yes, I have the HDCD. Will be interesting to see if it is that mastering.

GetHappy!! likes this.
  21. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Are the artist editions still available for sale?

22. Stereosound

Nope. They were limited editions for those that backed Pono Music on Kickstarter.com There is light talk of the possibility of future artist series but nothing definite and probably not from the artists already involved.

crossroads69 likes this.
  23. Deryl Johnson

Deryl Johnson Well-Known Member

Yeah, but Your PONO Player has the actual name of a band or recording artist engraved into it. Everybody else down the line will get a player for $129, but they won't be collector's items. I think I'll wait five years until You can get the stereo component player for $159. It will store ten times as much as the Toblerone shaped thing, and it will be a cool stereo component. Then I'll buy about ten titles, probably my 45 RPM LP's so I won't wear them out.

24. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

No.

25. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

I don't think there's a better place to learn about digital audio codecs (for example). It's also the best place I have found on the web to learn the right way to do ABX testing. Just because a site openly discusses what some here consider to be audiophile heresy doesn't make them "misleading" or "amateurs". It simply makes them audiophile heretics. And if that makes some people uncomfortable, they must be doing something right. :agree:

Robert C, Rasputin and GetHappy!! like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.