How do you respond to detractors of hi-res audio?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lucidae, Aug 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

First I would have to know someone who is aware that hi-res audio exists …

Heart of Gold, Music Geek and Mal like this.
  2. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Over the years I've become convinced that trying to change someones mind, especially in regards to art, is a complete and hopeless waste of time. Thus I just avoid it, they can think whatever they like, it has no impact on me whatsoever.

shokhead, Atmospheric and Mal like this.
  3. ress4279

ress4279 Senior Member

First thing is gauge their level of interest. "Is hearing the difference important?"

4. Terry

Terry Senior Member

I've never run into a detractor. In fact, most seem interested in what I've purchased of late.

5. JakeLA

JakeLA Senior Member

I've never had a discussion about hi-res music with anyone and I can't imagine that I ever will.

Dan C likes this.
  6. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

I don't.

People can like what they want.

MonkeyMan likes this.
  7. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

If people tell me they are happy with 128 MP3, I respond by saying some
    people are happy with McDonalds.

8. sfaxa

sfaxa Active Member

Nobody I know even knows what it means....I think that says it all.

9. botley

botley Forum Resident

One word: oversampling. If you're hearing filter artifacts on a well-mastered CD, you should upgrade your system before investing in high-res.

I can't name a single consumer application where the difference between content at 16/44.1 (given that it's properly converted from the source) and high-res is night-and-day. Sure, it's there, but even with a great system it's tiny, and so I consider it low-priority on the list of things to worry about in improving sound.

Sure, you could re-buy music you've already collected to have it in high-resolution, but for the same price you could get SO MUCH more benefit from upgrading your gear, and tuning the room you use it in.

10. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Most of my listening is 16/44.1 - sounds better than vinyl to me overall (slight loss in resolution is preferable to the myriad other problems with analogue, in my view). Hi-res PCM (24/96 and beyond) is audibly superior as an encoding scheme to my ears - however, I'd rather hear a well mastered 80's CD with no DSP than most of the modern remasters I've heard, hi-res or not.

botley likes this.
  11. botley

botley Forum Resident

Well said. By the way, I'm not a "detractor" and I've bought plenty of hi-res material. It sounds great, it's future-proof, and it adds real value as a bonus feature on my new purcases. But there's no way I will spend money upgrading CDs I'm already happy owning to high-res (until I hit the lottery, I guess).

Heart of Gold, Spitfire and Mal like this.
  12. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

Vive Le Difference. Personally, I am glad that I upgraded Disraeli Gears, the Grateful Dead studio albums and Eagle studio albums. For me, there is a vast difference between the HDtracks versions and the previous CD rips I had. To my ears, these were not minor differences at the margins, but dramatic differences, on par with going from black and white to technicolor. Well worth rebuying for me.

Coricama and Doug Sclar like this.
  13. vanye

vanye Forum Resident

Indeed. I agree that it's our differences that make us valuable as members of a society. However, in the present context I would ask if the differences in the quality of the sound that you perceive stem from the different formats or if the masterings differ.

botley and GetHappy!! like this.
  14. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

The non fanatics will attribute good sound more to the playback equipment than the file, and there's some intellectual justification for this.

On the other hand I'm equally clueless about nuances between average and great wine. To each their own.

Tristero likes this.
  15. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

The Hi-res releases that you listed are different masterings. Try doing a shootout between the same masterings, one at redbook resolution and one at hi-res and see if you notice a difference.

16. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Why would you let it upset you, life's too short?

Seems to me that many audiophiles suffer from "born again Christian" syndrome "I speak the truth and thou must believe me, and what I say is the only way"

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
    Dan C and Heart of Gold like this.
  17. sbeck201

sbeck201 Forum Resident

"I'm sorry, you'll have to speak more clearly!".

18. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

I am very new to Hi Res. I was skeptical until I tried it. I already had a DAC, all I needed was to hook up a computer to the DAC, so I thought why not? As with vinyl, some Hi Res is excellent, some is no better than CD. I agree the mastering makes a huge difference. I am enjoying it...and that's all that really matters. All you can do is state your opinion, it's not really your job to change other people's opinions.

19. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

In my opinion, go-faster stripes make cars go faster :)

Tim

Coricama likes this.
  20. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

I'm not sure that anything is future proof...

21. love4another

love4another Forum Resident

22. Atmospheric

Truthfully, I don't know. Allz I know is that I bought hi-res music files and they sound better (to my ears) than any other versions of the same material, of which I have owned several.

That would be a complete waste of time. I'm happy to listening to my hi-res versions. If something better comes along I'll listen to that. Does this bother you?

Coricama likes this.
  23. The Spaceman

The Spaceman Forum Resident

You're completely ignoring their point. The Hi-res versions of those specific albums are different masterings than the CD versions. Therefore there would be an audible differences between the two even if one wasn't hi-res and the other not. Most likely the improvement you're hearing is just the mastering.

Dan C likes this.
  24. Atmospheric

No, respectfully, I don't believe that I am ignoring anything worthwhile. I am intentionally choosing to focus on what means the most to me: enjoying music I love as much as I can. I just don't give a rip about convincing you or other similarly minded people about anything. Here, I'll just say you won whatever argument we are supposed to be having. Now please just leave me alone to enjoy my hi-res music.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  25. The Spaceman

The Spaceman Forum Resident

:sigh:

Music Geek likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.