Special Priced 100 SHM-SACD Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Awesome, Aug 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 007james

007james Forum Resident

I just ordered [ SACD ] Aja [SHM-SACD] [Limited Release], by the time i receive it, I'll probably have forgotten i even ordered it especially since i picked SAL (snail) shipping

2. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

I'm not Keith, but in my opinion the 4 trio titles with LaFaro are mandatory.

3. Groggy

Groggy Forum Resident

I know the feeling!!

4. Bertly

Bertly Senior Member

I'm tempted to order 'My Aim Is True' even though reviews here seemed to vary..

5. Thank you for the reply. I asked Keith as I know he is a jazz aficionado and ordered every titles in the series. Any advise on these from this group is welcome! :)

6. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I have several of the Bill Evans discs (not all of them), and they are excellent.

7. KeithH

I ordered:

Relaxin' With The Miles Davis Quintet
    Cookin' With The Miles Davis Quintet
    Workin' With The Miles Davis Quintet
    Goats Head Soup
    Quadrophenia

The Who The Singles
    Blind Faith
    Making Movies
    Alchemy: Dire Straits Live

8. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

they are clearly not Mini Lp sleeves ,maybe Jewel cases

9. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

I hope so.

Pupalei likes this.
  10. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Why do you think that?

Bill

11. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

They always clearly Label them as Mini Lp or Paper Sleeve ,they might be those "sort of" mini Lp sleeves they used before

12. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Which 3-4 Bill Evans titles are most outstanding from musical point of view (from this batch)?

13. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

Anyone know how many of these are in 5.1(if any)?

14. ashlee5

ashlee5 Senior Member

None of them is in 5.1.

:wave:

Beaneydave likes this.
  15. ashlee5

ashlee5 Senior Member

Please note that these "reissues" have new catalog numbers. Universal Japan almost always uses jewel cases when this happens.

:wave:

16. KeithH

That would work for me.

17. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I hear ya! Why didn't they offer these for a lower price in the first place.

18. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Remember guys not all of these SACD's are worth buying, even if they're cheap... check the reviews before you pull the trigger.

jsayers likes this.
  19. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

It's a consequence of playing the Japanese reissue game. They'll entice you with "limited release" mumbo jumbo, the album will go out of print, maybe quickly, then get reissued-- perhaps with tarted-up manufacturing (SHM, etc.), or different packaging (facsimile paper jackets versus jewel boxes, etc.). Meaningless product differentiation is a hallmark of advanced capitalism. But I, for one, am not complaining.

20. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

The SACD sonics have gotten consistently good reviews, which is not the case, btw, for some of the jazz titles on the list (e.g. Sarah Vaughan s/t, masterpiece though it is, or Incredible Jazz Guitar of Wes Montgomery, the greatest studio jazz guitar recording ever made imo).

Sunday at the Vanguard is mandatory. Among the studio albums, I'd go with Explorations, Portrait in Jazz, Moonbeams, and How My Heart Sings in that order. (Note that HMHS and M are from the same session, with HMHS containing the up-tempo material.) Explorations and Portrait are definitive Evans statements from early in his career, when he recorded for Riverside. By the time he got to Verve (Alone is on the JSACD list), he became something of a stylist and, while the results are often beautiful, an entropy sets in on some of his solo records of the period. The best of the Verve years (e.g. California Here I Come, a live date with Philly Joe Jones on drums) are not on the JSACD list.

21. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

Sunday, Explorations, Portrait, Moonbeams.

formu_la likes this.
  22. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

Bill, they seem to like to vary the packaging-- apparently it's part of the marketing strategy over there. Maybe it ropes in some of the completists who want every reissue, or who have the jewel box but want the facsimile jacket etc.

23. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident

May have to pick-up 1occ. Thanks.

24. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

I agree.

25. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

All the speculators trying to unload their copies for $500 each or some such aren't going to be happy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.