Barnes & Noble stores carry vinyl.

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by KeithH, Aug 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now Thread Starter

I don't know if this is news for other parts of the country, but a Barnes & Noble in my area started carrying vinyl recently. They had none when I was there two or three weeks ago, but they had a display near the front of the music/movie department today. It was a couple racks amounting to about 30 LPs along with some Crosley turntables. Among the LPs they had were a few copies of Kind of Blue (stereo), Steve's 33 1/3 mastering of Rumours (with the Pressed at Pallas sticker), some Beatles LPs, The Black Keys, Joni Mitchell Blue, and A Love Supreme. I'm no expert on vinyl, but the prices seemed to be reasonable for Barnes & Noble. Kind of Blue was $21.99, A Love Supreme was $15.99, and Rumours was $24.99.

2. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

3. KeithH

4. econalan

econalan Forum Resident

Very interesting. Looks like I'll need to pop into a B&N store here in So. Cal.

5. KeithH

I'm curious what the vinylers here think of Barnes & Nobles' prices and titles. The selection was fairly limited in the store I stopped in on Sunday, but there were some good titles. The only one that stood out to me in terms of mastering was the Hoffman Rumours LP (33 1/3). Are there any other standouts there?

6. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

None at their store west of Boston.

7. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

They have a decent selection online and, occasionally, good sales.

8. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

Not mine and it is huge, and in a hipster town....

9. KeithH

I suppose Barnes & Noble could be trialing LP sales in select stores or could be phasing them in slowly across the country. As I mentioned in the first post, my local store had no LPs just two or three weeks before.

10. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Are there many vinyl outlets in the Penn State area? As a college town I'd assume yes but, if not, perhaps they're looking to fill a space in the marketplace.

11. KeithH

A few, but I don't live in State College (unfortunately :D).

12. econalan

econalan Forum Resident

Checked a smaller B&N store in So. California today - no vinyl.

13. KeithH

A good time to be in Michigan. Well, there's a first time for everything.

;)

econalan likes this.
  14. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Update from my earlier post...the Framingham MA store has a small display, similar to that noted by the OP. Including the Crosleys, it's about the size of a small table.

15. KeithH

:)

16. KeithH

A local Barnes & Noble store has taken vinyl to a new level. Previously, they had what many here had seen in their area, meaning a small vinyl display in the middle of store and a slightly larger display with Crosley turntables in the Music/Movie department. The store I was in today still has these displays, but they have replaced a large display of rock and jazz CDs with LPs. These are tiered shelves in an L configuration that are now filled with records. They have consolidated the CDs into some waist-level bins nearby. With the tiered shelves, have three record bins to a column, you see a lot of album covers. I have to say, seeing that many records makes for an impressive display.

Presumably Barnes & Noble sees vinyl as more worthy than CDs of their limited shelf space. I'm sure that CDs are not selling well at Barnes & Noble, but does this mean that vinyl is selling well or are they still banking on it? Truth be told, I rarely see people looking at LPs when I am in Barnes & Noble stores. That said, a teenage girl was paying for an Arctic Monkeys LP when I was there today.

Fortunately for me, Barnes & Noble still has bargain bins of CDs ($4.99, $7.99, $9.99). I picked up the two-disc remaster of The Last Waltz and the two-disc Pet Shop Boys compilation Pop Art: The Hits for $19.06 with tax, after my membership discount. :)

17. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

My local B&N went from a small section of LP's last year and expanded them four-fold this year. Should be interesting to see how this all pans out.

18. TACP Force

TACP Force New Member

Guitar Center has vinyl also and in 7 weeks they have already marked all of it down 30% off.

19. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

The one near me has gone all-in as well. A little more mainstream and a slightly smaller section than Urban Outfitters, but with passable prices ($20-25). Interesting to see how it works out for them.

Gaslight likes this.
  20. KeithH

Wow. Were their prices particularly high to begin with?

21. KeithH

Barnes & Noble's prices don't seem to be outrageous. I've considered buying some LPs there, but I need to research some titles as far as mastering and, especially, pressing quality.

22. dcottrell6

dcottrell6 Forum Resident

Was just at B&N on Saturday and picked up a few LP's.
    Lindsey Stirling - Shatter Me
    Billie Holiday - Lady in Satin
    Daft Punk - Discovery
    Alabama Shakes - Sound and Color

Had a 20% off coupon on 1 item and got the 10% off for being a member.

23. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

There's at least three separate vinyl displays at my local B&N. Interesting selection and the prices are pretty good.

FWIW, I have not actually bought any LP's at my local B&N yet but I have purchased from B&N online a few times in the last year and I always seem to get better LP's from B&N than Amazon. Dunno why that would be, but I'm almost at the point of saying the heck with Amazon for vinyl, I'll just order from B&N. :laugh:

24. KeithH

I stopped in Barnes & Noble today and saw a couple MFSL titles. They had Bitches Brew for $61.99 and Talking Book for $32.99. I don't keep up with MFSL vinyl, but those prices seem high.

After several outings of perusing their vinyl bins and leaving empty-handed, I bought the Sony stereo reissue of Kind of Blue today for $16.82 with a 15%-off coupon and the 10% member discount.

25. KeithH

In stopping at Barnes & Noble today, I was surprised to see a Record Store Day issue of the Pretty in Pink soundtrack on pink vinyl. It had a Record Store Day sticker on the front. Either it was a mistake for Barnes & Noble to get this LP or the labels offer leftover Record Store Day stock to chain stores. I had never heard of Record Store Day LPs turning up at a Barnes & Noble.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.