Who's your favorite artist/band?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnnyQuest, Aug 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harmonium

Very short-lived Prog band from Quebec with 3 studio albums and 1 live double LP.
    All 3 studio albums are very solid and over the years I would say I have enjoyed them equally.

GodShifter likes this.
  2. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

The Byrds
    1. Mr.Tambourine Man on the radio
    2.The Bells of Rhymney and Notorious Byrd Brothers
    4.Byrdmaniax
    5.Gary Usher wasn't fired by Columbia and continued to produce them

3. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

C U R V E

1. When was the first time you heard their music? Watching 120 minutes on MTV...It was like NIN with an angel singing.

2. What's your favorite song & album? Geez...I'll go with a double; the song Gift and the album of the same name.

3. What would you rate their catalog? (1-10) 10!

4. What is their weakest effort overall? The New Adventures of Curve...their final full album...I think they lost some steam there...still, there are some killer tracks ('Till The Cows Come Home, Nice and Easy)

5. If there was one thing you could change about their career, what would it be? Oh boy...that they didn't decide to take a "break" between 1994-1996 which allowed the (terrible) band Garbage to reap the commercial rewards that should have been theirs. Also, releasing a song called Hell Above Water the week of 9/11 didn't help their chances...

4. This could change from day to day as I don't really "play favourites" anymore, but to play today I'll say it's My Bloody Valentine.

1. When was the first time you heard their music?
    Early 1989, heard the song "I Believe" from the Feed Me With Your Kiss EP on the CBC radio show Brave New Waves

2. What's your favorite song & album?
    "To Here Knows When" (Tremolo version); Loveless

3. What would you rate their catalog? (1-10)

4. What is their weakest effort overall?
    This Is Your Bloody Valentine
    (1984), their debut mini-LP from when they were young and directionless

5. If there was one thing you could change about their career, what would it be?
    Take the bong away from Kevin Shields, so maybe he could've got the followup to Loveless finished in less than 21 years

marke, GodShifter and jedilips00 like this.
  5. Andersoncouncil

Andersoncouncil Forum Resident

Understandable. But unless you never listened to the radio, I'm sure you've heard 'The One I Love", "Losing My Religion" or "It's the end of the world as we know it"

John Adam likes this.
  6. Andersoncouncil

I agree...they never got the exposure they deserved. I need to check out some of their later music. I have (and love) everything up through Indoor Living. Speaking of Indoor Living---there are some great tracks on that album, "New Bruises" "The Popular Music" that Marion Brown song.

davechen likes this.
  7. donniewn

donniewn Forum Resident

a lot of great bands,but there is two that stand above the rest in my opinion,jimi Hendrix and the beatles.after that yes,rush,pink Floyd...the list goes on.

8. jedilips00

jedilips00 non-exist-ent

Dinosaur Jr.

[​IMG]

Around the release of Green Mind - saw "The Wagon" video on MTV's 120 minutes.

I have a sentimental attachment to Where You Been as an album. It came at a perfect time in my life. Though I love them all.
    My favorite track is a probably the deep cut "Hot Burrito #2"

Solid 8.5

Probably self-titled debut. For a while, they improved exponentially with each release.

5. If there was one thing you could change about their career, what would it be?
    Undo the post-Bug break-up of the original band. Though the reunion has been entirely worth it, it would have been nice to see the original band firing on all cylinders during the 90s - I feel like they would have been huge.

9. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

The Wailers

First I distinctly remember was in college, probably around 18 y/o at the time.

Song - Keep on Moving, reason being it's the one time Bob, Peter and Bunny take turns soloing in the same song. Album - Soul Revolution

Solid 10. Lee Perry productions are some of the greatest tracks ever laid down.

None I can think of. They didn't waste time in the studio. While their Studio One output is not my taste as I'm not much of a ska fan, in terms of that genre they were excellent (RIP Junior Braithwaite).

That Bob, Peter, and Carlton had lived. That Junior Braithwaite had not left the group. I can't help but think, even after successful solo output, had they all lived they would have eventually reunited at some point.

10. davechen

davechen Forum Resident

I have every album, and I have to say, their two recent albums, Majesty Shredding and I Hate Music are as good or better than anything they made in their heyday.

11. For a newbie, I'd suggest bypassing any particular "proper" album - the comp And I Feel Fine, which collects the singles and a few album tracks from their IRS years, would do the trick.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  12. Andersoncouncil

Wow! good to know. I will have to check them out. Better than Foolish? IMO that is their masterpiece.

13. Zack

Zack Senior Member

Grateful Dead.

1. An early recollection is hearing the "driving that train" chorus from Casey Jones coming from a car with the doors open while drinking in public behind a strip mall in 10th grade or so.

2. Chinacat Sunflower/I Know You Rider or Ripple; American Beauty.

3. 7.5 ("We make sh*tty albums, man." - Garcia)

4. The Grateful Dead (debut)

5. Bring back Jerry; a proper studio album in 1971-2.

Complier and footlooseman like this.
  14. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

CHICAGO

1972 after hearing "Saturday in the Park" on the radio but not aware of them.
    1974 after hearing the album "Chicago VII" and the first time I became aware of them.

Song: "Ballet for a Girl in Buchannon" - from 1970 album Chicago II
    Albums: Chicago Transit Authority - 1969, Chicago (II) - 1970, Chicago X - 1976

Classic Terry Kath-era Chicago (original lineup) 1969-1977 - Catalog Rating: 10

All albums (by them with non original members) after 1985.

If they have called it quits after "Chicago XI" - 1977 and after Terry died in February, 1978, they would be looked upon differently.

15. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

The BEATLES

1964 after hearing "I Should Have Known Better" and "And I Love Her".

Song: "Day Tripper" - 1965
    Album: "Rubber Soul" (Original UK version) - 1965

Catalog Rating: 10

"Yellow Submarine" soundtrack - 1969

They should have included "Strawberry Fields Forever" and "Penny Lane" in the album "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" replacing "Lovely Rita" and "When I'm Sixty-Four" on Side Two.

They should have let "Hurricane" Smith engineered "Revolver" with "Geoff Emerick" as an assistant enginer so that we can hear a less dry sounding "Revolver".

16. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

thats one way of looking at it....but the sales and longevity are in my favor.

17. multichamp201

multichamp201 Forum Resident

The Clash

When I was about 10 years old

Stay Free (song) Give em Enough Rope (album)

Their last album - Cut the Crap

For Joe Strummer to be immortal!

18. multichamp201

multichamp201 Forum Resident

I have to disagree, Piper is 100% pink floyd. I like the later stuff with waters too though.

footlooseman likes this.
  19. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

but it sounds so different....
    it could have been another band and i wouldnt have known.

although saucerful has a striking resemblance to it...but after that its a complete 180.

20. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Because I love this band about equally with Black Sabbath I will add them (kind of a 1a and 1b, thing)

KILLING JOKE

1. First time you heard their music?

The first time I heard their music was in 1988 when my then manager at the record store I worked at with played their self titled record for me. He said, "they're very heavy". Well, they weren't for me and they didn't really resonate much for me until awhile later. Of course, Metallica covering "The Wait" on their Garage Days Re-revisited helped me gain enthusiasm for them. The first album I ever purchased was Dirt, Extremities, and Other Repressed Emotions (and it took me awhile to warm to that one!)

2. Favorite song and album?

Favorite song is the last song on Hosannahs which is called "Gratitude". It's a massive sludge fest and just totally dig it. That said, like all of the bands I love, there are a ton of songs I like and it's difficult to pinpoint just one, but "Gratitude" is probably it. My favorite Killing Joke album is Brighter Than a Thousand Suns which is a supremely beautiful, nuanced record that has guitarist, Kevin "Geordie" Walker playing at the top of his game.

3. Rate their catalog

A solid 9 and the only reason I don't give them a 10 is Outside the Gates which flat sucks. I'm not crazy about Revelations, either, but's not a terrible album; it just sounds uninspired.

4. Weakest effort overall?

See above. Outside the Gates was just terrible. Really terrible.

5. One thing you could change about their career?

Boy, I don't know. A great career, overall, and a band that has put out few bad albums and, unlike most, continues to release strong material even late in their career. I guess I wish the band could have been a tad more popular. I mean not super popular where the hipsters and doofuses are falling all over them, but maybe popular enough that the band wouldn't have had to struggle as much as they have. They deserved more financial success for having such great output for so many years.

marke, Dudley Morris and ChoonyFish like this.
  21. Zombeels

Zombeels Forum Resident

The Kinks

When I was a child

Album : Something Else By The Kinks
    Song: Autumn Almanac

6.5 they put out a few horrible albums

Toss up between Phobia, UK Jive & Think Visual

That they would have released the album Four More Respected Gentleman back in 68

22. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Elton John
    1. Benny and the Jets on the radio when it came out
    2. Tumbleweed Connection..........too many to list. Sacrifice, Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters, etc....
    3. 8 easily
    4. Victim of Love
    5. Not to lose Bernie Taupin on some of the late 70's early 80's albums. Though, I still like most of them.

Skoegahom, 905 and Vinyl_Blues like this.
  23. GabeL

GabeL Forum Resident

You know, had this question been asked about 10 years ago, I would have immediately responded U2, but nowadays, I really enjoy many bands for different reasons on different days, so I'd have to say that I do not have a single, 5, or even 10 favorites...it changes every day :)

4stringking73 and Vinyl_Blues like this.
  24. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

the bones
    let it bleed baby!!
    steel wheelz
    bring back bill and MT full time!!!

Aghast of Ithaca and Zack like this.
  25. zen

zen Senior Member

:thumbsup:

[​IMG]

Summer of '72 (Machine Head)

Catalog is too vast, at this point.

Tough question with various lineups.
    Breaking it down...
    • mkI - 8
    • mkII (1969-73, 1984-88, 1992-93) - 10
    • mkIII/IV (Coverdale/Hughes) - 9
    • mk Morse - 9

Nothing weak.
    As drummer Ian Paice said, "We always traded quality for quality." It served them well.

Another album or two between Rapture of the Deep (2005) and NOW What?! (2013).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.