Sharon Van Etten anyone?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GullGutt, Sep 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

i noticed some surface noise on mine as well :-(

2. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I bought the same set and it arrived this week. I'll listen this weekend and report back.

3. GKomar

GKomar Forum Resident

I have the clear vinyl version and my copy has a lot of noise too.

4. tinymontgomery

tinymontgomery Forum Resident

I got the black vinyl from amazon.co.uk, and side one is wayyyy off-centre. It's not going back 'cos the tragic fact is nowadays I generally play the physical copy once and the remainder of my listening is to the bundled MP3 download. Generally I have bad luck with Secretly Canadian vinyl anyway, so it wasn't unexpected.

5. Davey

Davey NP: Michael A. Muller ~ Mirror Music (2024 LP)

I was just watching her on the recent Jools Holland, and she was very good, just her and the piano for "I Know", strong performance. Kind of a tough set of acts to get mixed in with, the show was book-ended with strong Arcade Fire songs, and lots of other big acts like Wild Beasts. Damien Jurado came a couple songs later, just him and a chair and acoustic guitar, even broke a string, and Sharon was still at her piano at the end applauding. Cool setting, very nice group of acts, including Imelda May too. Great show, wish there were some American music shows like this, wish there were more music shows anywhere like this. The show is S44E07 if you get a chance to see it or download it, which I think was May 30, very recommended. And not just for Sharon, though admittedly I'm really falling under the spell lately, maybe the best record of the year at this point, but just a really good show overall.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
  6. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

I have Epic, Tramp and the new album.

Every lp has had noise issues. Jagjaguwar unfortunately use of United pressing plant in Nashville - the worst pressing plant in the world.

Went through 3 copies of Epic and Tramp and gave up as all were crap pressings. I am on my 2nd pressing of Are You Here and that thankfully is pretty quiet.

I have complained to Jagjaguwar and received no response.

She is a great artist on a label with other great artist who seem to not give a **** about their customers.:shake:

7. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Fan here, but think that she's going to be an example of the current states of affairs with other indie artists. With revenues sources being limited, there's going to be pressure to release more albums & EPs with corresponding tours. Considering the fact that Tramp sold only 45,000 copies (this was a figure quoted in WSJ, but it did not specific what mix of formats), and she performed in town for about $13, it's hard to see how this is sustainable for anyone other than trust fund babies. So, my impression is that one of the effects is that there will an excellent lead track (ie "Serpents" from Tramp and "Taking Chances" from the new one), and the remainder of the material will be good but not as good. This seems to be the case with Frankie Rose too.

8. Davey

Good points, but she sold out the Bowery Ballroom tonight at $20, with StubHub selling the decent seats for close to $70 right now. I think this is going to be a very big record in 2014, not major label big, but a very solid record that goes way way beyond the lead single, which I think isn't close to the best song. As mentioned above, she just did a choice spot on Jools Holland a couple weeks ago. I don't know how any of these great artists around now can make a living, but man, I sure hope someone of this quality can find a way.

9. Lil' Brian

Lil' Brian Forum Resident

10. Davey

That's it? No explanation or anything? Just an image of a painting of Sharon? What's it mean? I do kind of like it, though, probably would be a better cover than the head out the window, but I kind of like that too.

:)

Davido likes this.
  11. smoke

smoke Forum Resident

Haven't heard the new album yet, but this is awesome:

12. Lil' Brian

Lil' Brian Forum Resident

Just showing some love for Sharon's new album. ;-)

[​IMG]

13. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

Just picked up a copy of the new album (CD). So far I think it's terrific. Strong stuff.

L.

14. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I picked up the clear vinyl yesterday; on the initial play, there were occasional pops & clicks, but no distortion. I'm going to run it through the Spin Clean and see what happens, but, overall, I thought it sounded pretty good. At least the record was flat, which is my main concern with new vinyl. The gatefold packaging is beautiful, and, most importantly, the music on the record is great.

15. buzzlulu

buzzlulu Forum Resident

One of the best releases of 2014!

factory44 likes this.
  16. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

17. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

18. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

A trip through the Spin Clean got rid of some, but not all, of the surface noise on my clear vinyl pressing of Are We There. Overall, the LP still offers an engaging listening experience, in my opinion.

19. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

20. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

21. Jerry James

Jerry James Rorum Fesident

So, I recently picked up a used copy of "Are We There" from my local for $11.00 - it's the clear edition with the bonus 7" :wiggle: . My question is where was this copy pressed? I've read the posts about United and the lousy pressings (par for the course...), but mine (thankfully) doesn't have that dreaded U in the circle, and it's dead flat, and dead silent. It plays beautifully. Matrix reads JAG255LP followed by J.Lambert@JLM. So, where was this pressed - any ideas?

22. tzatziki

tzatziki Active Member

my new copy of "Tramp" has a lot of surface noise. i dont think Jagjaguwar cares about how crappy their vinyl is.
    :cussing:

23. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

I swear she walked across the street in front of me a few weeks ago in seattle

24. gohill

gohill Senior Member

same with mine, wish i'd kept the cd.

25. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

And as usual, you did nothing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.