Ramones movie to be directed by Martin Scorsese?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dudley Morris, Aug 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dudley Morris

Dudley Morris Resident Thread Starter

This tidbit from the recent Johnny Ramone tributes in LA is getting a lot of press right now, so I figured I'd share it here to see what y'all think:

Could be inspired, could be a total disaster, but no other major director is as well positioned to put across the feel of mid-'70s NYC so I'm hoping for the best if it happens. So long as Leo DiCaprio doesn't play Joey. :)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
    One Louder likes this.
  2. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Can Joseph Gordon-Levitt play Dee Dee?

ralphb and Dudley Morris like this.
  3. Dudley Morris

The real question is, who could possibly play Joey? Benedict Cumberbatch?

ralphb likes this.
  4. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Jeff Jampol strikes again. He's a popular punching bag on Doors forums.

http://wemanagelegends.com/jeff-jampol/
    he works with a weird combination of estates.
    MJ/Doors/Jim Morrison/Ramones/Janis/Tupac/Otis/Mancini/Peter Tosh/Rick James and I've seen his name associated with Hendrix.

5. Dudley Morris

I thought that name sounded familiar, from the Doors threads in these here forums. So is he kind of a wahoo? I seem to recall him making excited announcements about forthcoming live sets that didn't materialize, or something like that.

6. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Don't know how serious you are about this, but I think that could be an inspired choice, as would J.G. Levitt as Dee Dee.
    I think Johnny Galecki would be fine as Tommy.
    Now about Johnny....

7. Dudley Morris

Semi-serious - at first he doesn't seem at all appropriate, but there's something about his look and the way he's carried himself in some roles that makes me think he could pull it off.

8. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Adam Driver maybe?

9. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Unless they get Legs McNeil or Cheetah Chrome or somebody similar who was actually there as a consultant that they take seriously and listen to I shudder to think what Hollywood will do to this story.

10. ralphb

Pretty sure they were both advisors on that wretched CBGB movie, so I don't put much faith in them.

norman_frappe likes this.
  11. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Forum Resident

If Scorsese is involved I don't know why people think it'll be a mess. Who better to do a movie about music in New York in the '70s.

Chad

12. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Being on set is one thing. Having an active participation where people actually listen to you is another. If they had all that and the movie still turned out the way it did then you have me.

13. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

It's all about getting the right vibe. The Ramones were a very singular band, and those were very singular times. It's very easy to make a film for the masses but to really get it right is another thing all together. I'd rather see Jarmusch or Waters do it. I think they have a much better idea as to what the deal was back then, more than Scorcese. We'll see.

norman_frappe and ralphb like this.
  14. ralphb

You're quite right, and I have no way of knowing for sure. I think Scorcese is a good pick if this happens, he can certainly evoke the New York of the 1970's, but my expectations for any film based on this subject matter/era are always going to be far too high.

15. ralphb

Jarmusch, for sure. I also think Todd Haynes could do it justice.

16. ralphb

Maybe you're right. The more I think about it the more I think that this just wasn't Scorcese's scene at all, and the vibe is everything in a movie like this. The studio figures nobody does gritty NYC better than Scorcese, but there's gritty and then there's CBGB/Lower East Side.

17. Dudley Morris

Waters, as in John? I dunno - he can be pretty hit-and-miss and could conceivably bollix it up but good if he took an overly broad/wacky approach to the material. Which would certainly be possible!

18. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident

Too bad Nancy Walker is dead

Mark Nelson and ralphb like this.
  19. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I think a Ramones movie is a bad idea. As personalities they were not terribly compelling people and their professional career was pretty much a mess, so there's not that much of a story. There's a fair amount of performance footage around if you want to see the real deal, why watch anyone fake it?

20. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Yes as in John. He was there. He gets the absurdity of it all. Hell the guy put Stiv Bators in a movie of his. He's somebody that I think would get the insanity spot on without trying to doll it up for Hollywood. Scorcese really has no experience with that scene as he did one way or another with his best movies.

21. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Supposedly, Scorsese has sent out a casting notice, looking for young men who can pass for those in this famous photo:

[​IMG]

ralphb likes this.
  22. ralphb

:laugh: That's just evil.

jupiter8 likes this.
  23. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Forum Resident

Yes, Taxi Driver is a totally Disneyfied version of New York in the 70s.

Chad

24. ralphb

I get what Sam means. The CBGB scene was a very specific thing, the feel and attention to detail would be extremely important. Scorcese may get New York in the 1970's, but CBGB was a world unto itself , and I don't think he was a part of it. Of course, he didn't drive a Taxi either. We'll see, but the more I think about it, the more I hope it doesn't get made.

25. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Scorcese had experience with the type of people that he had in Taxi Driver. I'm not saying that he didn't know NYC in the 70's, I'm saying he didn't know a thing about CBGB's or punk rock in the 70's. Look, maybe he can pull it off. I'd love to see that. I just think there are others who are better suited for the job.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.