Beatles Mono VINYL Box Set - 8th September 2014 Release Date (Part 6)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joel Cairo, Aug 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Again, I now have good, even great copies of all of their records in mono, except for the WA and Help! I also have the mono CD box.

Part of the reason I want the set is due to the book.

I'm just pointing out that it's a spurge and not chump change for some of us, in response to the poster who said that us more established folk here should be able to afford it.

2. My rubber room isn't too bad ;)

3. spartanmanor

spartanmanor Forum Resident

And I see there will be a UPC code on the mono masters.

[​IMG]

4. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

That's been known. There's no "historic" artwork to reproduce for that one, so I guess they figured it could have a barcode.

5. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

Just cross off four people from your wedding guest list.....

chumlie, Ash76, David Ellis and 6 others like this.
  6. I'll be getting Beatles with barcodes :D

7. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

yes. without reverb. it's stereo too.

8. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

I thought we were going to wait until that internet Q & A with Sean at http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/f...no-vinyl-box-question-to-the-abbey-road-team/ for the definitive answer?

9. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

So when does the embargo end on real reviews? So far we've pretty much just had random blogs "reviewing" the set and talking mostly about the packaging, barely mentioning the sound.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  10. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

"Can I have a box for free? Go on……", my favorite question so far.

Bill and morinix like this.
  11. Hey! Kickstarter! :)Help me get the Beatles Mono box :laugh: Think anyone would donate?

Keith V likes this.
  12. sethICE

sethICE Forum Resident

I followed your lead and just cancelled my US order. The CA order comes to about US$ 337.91 shipped at the current exchange rate - hard to imagine Amazon US will come down that low from the current $408 with tax. (If it does, and I happen to catch it, I can grab it then, but only if it's at a time I can still cancel CA....)

jumpinjulian likes this.
  13. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Sorry to continue slightly off-topic, but:

It's not without reverb. That is a myth. Somebody said that and it got repeated afterwards without anybody ever checking.

I have the LP myself — it'a 1977 Apple label repress in pristine condition, made from the same SHZE 117-A-2/B-2 stampers. I've done copious comparisons with the normal UK mix, trying to find that elusive "Holy Grail" quality that this pressing is supposed to have. My findings? Reverb is the same. The dynamic range is DR=14, I don't know how that compares to the original UK vinyl. Apart from the compression, what is also different is the EQ and that is what makes the German LP sound sweeter. Here are the labels on my copy:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
    Tommyboy and Nobby like this.
  14. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

Correct.

Here's @Steve Hoffman from 19th June 2006

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...es-please-please-me-album.83942/#post-1854160

sgtmono and crispi like this.
  15. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Good, thanks for clearing that up. You brought out the "Steve", didn't you? ;)
    Anyway, here's a quote from a knowledgeable friend of mine, to further confound things about this German stereo pressing:

"It’s true though that this stereo cutting sounds exceptional. But an EMI tape log shows that the British mastertape was in fact sent and returned to various countries on various occasions. It looks to me like this special cutting occurred due to ignoring the mastering instructions, rather than being transferred from some unprocessed work parts."
    I think he might be right. Just food for thought.

Dinstun likes this.
  16. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Well, there is some salesmanship involved there, but he is probably right in that an original like that, especially in that stunning condition (probably the only example I've since in years that actually rates the 'stunning' description) will have the fresh sound of a newly recorded performance.

That being said, PPM is not be-all-end-all of Beatles recordings. It sounds great on a 70s stereo GER HorZu reissue, OK on a 60s or 70s UK stereo issue, and OK on a mid-60s (1967) UK Parlophone mono issue like I had. I love the music, but I'm only in the so-so range of opinion on the sound of the recording.

All things considered, I think the reissues should be the best sounding issues we've heard in decades, at least since the mid-to-late 70s. Monos were already long gone, but the EMI one or two-box stereos were still very nice sounding as anyone who had, or still has one can attest. I've kept two copies the best of all my EMI one-box stereos I've acquired through the years, so I wasn't at all tempted by the stereo reissues of a couple of years ago.

But I pre-ordered the new mono box. If it fulfills my expectations, I may even get a back-up.

The early 80s UK and Japan mono reissues were all good, generally, but problematic. I had full sets of both. I got rid of both. I hope, assume, and perhaps expect this should easily match and most likely surpass those reissues. I'll be pretty disappointed if they don't, but again, looking at the care being taken to produce them, I think chances are good this will be a definitive set.

17. Have you called your mom lately ?

daveidmarx likes this.
  18. EdogawaRampo

I'm cancelling my pre-order. No one has mentioned this:

Pepper has its psychedelic pink inner sleeve, although you’ll probably want to keep the LP in the more protective sleeve also included since the pink one is kind of snug and could scuff the vinyl (in fact, several of the covers are kind of snug too, possibly because they were cut according to original dimensions that do not take the extra thickness of the 180-gram vinyl and padded inner sleeves into account). The earlier covers, however, do not house the original generic Parlophone inner sleeve imploring you to "Take good care of your microgroove records...", which is really the only significant break from authenticity.

I cannot believe The Beatles intended their precious product to be housed in super tight sleeves, especially considering their impact on culture and countering all things uptight.

Moreover, I was under the distinct impression that this set would reproduce the originals in authentic detail and now that appears not to be the case. Considering how fragile vinyl is, how could you neglect the sleeves with the admonition to "Take good care of your microgroove records..." ?

It's all too much.

19. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

Atrocities everywhere. Haven't read anything about it.... but there better be some shed free felt on the bottom of this box.

20. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Completely off-topic, but it's been nagging at me for a while... EdogawaRampo, what IS that avatar of yours? It reminds me of the clip of the Bonzos singing "Look Out There's A Monster Coming" while in blackface, but it's obviously not that. So, what is it??? :confused:

21. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Sportin' my promo "Beatles in Mono" Apple tee shirt today! Any other promo items spotted out there yet?

22. Bill Lettang

Bill Lettang Forum Resident

I can't imagine the Beatles singles (Mono Masters) don't exist as 1st generation mixes..granted, they may be all over the place on different reels, but what's so hard about re-leadering them onto new reels chronologically and cutting from that. Besides, many of them never ended up on an album so most must surely exist as individual master tapes...If what I've read true, then PPM, MMT and Mono Masters are dupes. Granted, possibly great sounding ones but dupes none the less and I'm a little uncomfortable with THAT much of the catalog not emanating from 1st generation tapes. Besides, most of the adverts claim "from the master tapes" which is surely misleading...and more so for people who are working hard to save for this box. Also, as an aside, a gentlman questioned why we don't wait for the answers from Sean and company, but that might be a tight date to be cancelling if need be any preorders.........................

23. EdogawaRampo

It's one of the alien business executives from the late 80s SF film They Live! An all time favorite of mine.

daveidmarx likes this.
  24. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

So now we know. Thanks! :)

25. Aside from $$ I don't understand why anyone would cancel their order. I totally get those who can't or don't want to spend on this but these are going to be great.

And interview with Sean is going to change your mind one way or another. Really ?

I sort of miss the days when you just played the ducking records and just discussed the actual music.

Ok this is a mastering masters site but still .....

chumlie, Ash76, Millington and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.