Any Love Here for John Hiatt

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rck60s, Aug 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rck60s

rck60s Well-Known Member Thread Starter

During my time at A&M I got the chance to work with John Hiatt on 5 of what I feel are classic lps....In a conversation we once had he told me that even though he has written many hit songs that other artists have gone on to have Gold/Platinum hits with he has never had a Gold selling album..I find that very sad....Anyone else here love John Hiatt? Very interesting read in the Wall Street Journal...
    http://online.wsj.com/articles/john-hiatt-the-indefatigable-songwriter-1404840732

2. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

Great singer songwriter who, IMHO, has never made a bad album.

3. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

big fan. seen him many times. here's a pic I took on the 2012 cayamo music cruise.

[​IMG]

alchemy likes this.
  4. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

There are a lot of threads/mentions of Hiatt here. And I know a new thread pops up for each of his new releases, which have been plentiful in the past few years:

2014: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...bum-terms-of-my-surrender-jul-15-2014.351088/
    2012: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/new-john-hiatt-album-mystic-pinball-sept-24-2012.293141/
    2011: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/john-hiatt-dirty-jeans-and-mudslide-hymns-due-8-2-2011.254531/
    2010: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/new-john-hiatt-due-march-2-the-open-road.208492/

5. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I just got into him a bit more recently (shame on me). I started a thread here last month on album recommendations/best place to start. I have 5 so far and slowly working my way to others.

Also seeing him live a few times over the next couple of months.

6. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

Yeah, he's great.

7. Agent57

Agent57 Marshall will buoy, but Fender control

:sigh: Big time- oh well, Hiatt is great too. Gonna go play "Little Village" and sulk a bit...

8. Yannick

Yannick Forum Resident

9. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

love him !!!!!!
    Slow Turning and Bring The Family are two classic records for sure.
    Great songwriter.

10. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I love his work but I haven't kept up with his recent releases.

11. Prophetzong

Prophetzong Forum Resident

Riding with the King.

Folknik, jammincrowe and Runicen like this.
  12. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

One of my favourites! Saw him live with Ry Cooder way back in the 1970s!

Just bought Terms of My Surrender on vinyl last week, love it!

JG

botley likes this.
  13. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

Love him. I don't know that he needs a gold record.

14. PiratesFan

PiratesFan Forum Resident

He's one of my favorites. Too many great songs to list that I love.

I'll just go cue up "Buffalo River Home" now...

Beattles, DEAN OF ROCK and powerq like this.
  15. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Loved his stuff for many years. gave up on him 4 years or so ago. the new stuff just sounded the same and didn't have the lyrical bite. the concerts were too heavy on songs I'd heard 6 or 7 times before. But as someone said, there's too many great songs to list and he also has a scary trove of great unreleased songs as well.

16. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

Perfectly Good Guitar is a masterpiece...

The man is a songwiter's songwriter.

Beattles, augustwest, JoelWat and 4 others like this.
  17. Raynie

Raynie Hyperactive!

He's awesome. I just saw him play a few weeks ago with Taj Mahal opening, he hasn't lost a step. His lack of commercial success has kept him humble, a blessing in disguise. I look forward to his new album on vinyl.

Regarding the NYT mention of Gold Records, he never even charted until his ninth album, and I don't think he's ever broken into the Top 40. He commented in concert that royalties from Thing Called Love helped keep tires on the tour bus and later with his daughters through college. His audience was very affectionate toward him, salt of the earth types. Most people don't even know who John Hiatt is.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  18. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Great points. I love the guy, but there's no reason he needs to fill up current set lists with 60% Slow Turning / Bring The Family. He does have other good later cuts, but when he plays 18 cuts/night and probably 10 are from those two discs, plus 3 or so from whatever the new LP is, the shows seem practically the same.

I wish someone would talk to him post-gig and tell him to issue a "fan-club"-type release with 40 or so unreleased demos. He'd probably make about as much as he would off a regular "new" studio disc, considering what CDs sell these days...

19. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Finally picked up the new CD/DVD combo, it is excellent and not a surprise. One of the best songwriters out there.

Carserguev, botley and wayneklein like this.
  20. Love John. The only album of his I didn't keep was Little Head.

He's had a difficult time through the years and I'm glad he's finally in a place where he is happy. With his alcoholism, his first wife's suicide he has had more than his fair share of tragic experiences.

Yes, he does do a lot of material from his first three A&M albums but those are his most popular ones and I'm ok with it. It's o different than Paul McCartney or other artists playing their crowd pleaders. There are always going to be those who might not have seen him before as well.

I would like to see more diversity in the set list too including material from Riding with the King, etc. but he's kind of dong best of tours at this stage.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
    melstapler likes this.
  21. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

And both are available in Hi-Res too!!!

22. I find it amazing that he has never scored a gold record. Maybe I was so into him that I never realized how few people listened to him. I'd also add that his label could apply for a gold record if they audited his sales but most of his former labels have no reason to do that at this stage.

23. While he is mining the same sound in many respects, I feel his latest is one of his best in years. Tht said, I've never given up on John and feel his material over the last decade is as strong as his best material from before.

Carserguev likes this.
  24. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Slow Turning is available in Hi-Res? From what label and format or is it HD Tracks? Thanks.

The Mofi Gold is great.

25. I don't recall a Physical SACD release for this. My guess is something like HDTracks. My Gold sounds pretty damn good. Be hard to top IMHO.

eelkiller likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.