Bob Dylan - North American Tour 2014

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vertigone, Aug 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Keller in Portland is a great venue. Tempted to pop my Dylan cherry ......

2. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

:laugh:

I have seen him once, too, and that was enough. Unfortunately, he hardly ever plays the songs I most want to hear.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  3. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I saw him surprisingly play "Yea Heavy and a Bottle of Bread" at Madison Square Garden in 2002.

4. jordanlolss

jordanlolss Forum Resident

I love Dylan, I really do.. But I can't seem to find how people still enjoy his voice live.. I've never seen him live, and honestly, if he came nearby, I probably would go just to see him.. But do people actually go to his concerts to hear his singing, or just to see him live?

Maybe after some time I'll get into it more, but to me it just sounds like his voice is constantly cracking and he's losing his breath. Again, I love him and know he's an amazing artist.. I just can't seem to get into this

5. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

If you see him three times in the same city, you'll probably see the same setlist 3 times in a row.

6. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I read a great article, maybe I found the link to it here, about the tour he did with Wilco and My Morning Jacket. Tweedy and Jim James and others were instructed by Dylan's people not to look directly at him. They never once "hung out" with the man backstage. They would only see him on stage when they performed a tune or so with him, and they were informed by Dylan's handlers what that tune would be and what key to play it in before they'd see him on stage. Sometimes, Dylan would change the key on the fly. Tweedy was floored when one day, as Dylan emerged from his trailer, he said "Hi, Jeff!". Meanwhile, James was just about despondent that he never got to interact with the man.

So, if the stars on tour with him don't get to be in his orbit for very long, what's the chance a fan staking out his hotel, should he or she manage to find it, will be rewarded with an autograph? I'd say near zero, although I guess it's possible.

7. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

Cool ...:)

8. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I don't know if things are different now but when I used to follow his setlists a few years ago there would be changes every night.

botley likes this.
  9. j.barleycorn

j.barleycorn Forum Resident

He's playing the Orpheum Theater in Mpls again, which he used to own in the late 70-late 80s. He did a five night stand there in 1992. I went to three of them. Of the dozen or so Bob concerts I've seen since '78 they were the best. ( though '78 in St.Paul was great for the event itself. It was his first time playing in Minnesota since he had left to head East for the Village.) The '92 Orpheum run he mixed it up. It was not the same set list every night. I also had really close seats each night.

I haven't seen him for several years ( can't locate my ticket, but Willie Nelson opened for him) and I swore I wouldn't go again. His voice was just shot, but he was still playing guitar. I'd really rather not sully my live Dylan memories any further, but I might give in for one of those three nights.

10. mikestar

mikestar Friendly Optimist

Things Have Changed

mrjinks and tonyc like this.
  11. serge

serge Forum Resident

I love seeing Bob...seen him 21 or 22 times..just about everywhere in every type of joint

my problem is the place he is playing here in DC is awful and I won't go... also the ticket prices are a concern... a road trip to Philly say for Saturday night may be a better play than DC

I think his singing and band remain great... not to mention the greatest catalog in the business....

Carserguev and ConnieGuitar like this.
  12. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

One of the songs I wanted but did not get the one time I saw him!

13. botley

botley Forum Resident

I like "Things Have Changed" too! He opened with it at the Americanarama show I saw.
    Check in at the mayor's house first, then! Righto.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
    vertigone likes this.
  14. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

No Detroit date !
    :realmad:

15. hardknox

hardknox Forum Resident

Agree about the D.C. venue. Too bad when the Warner Theater is just sitting there and is hardly ever used. Yup, Philly sounds like the right move.

16. Hi Glen,
    Johnny99 bumped into Bob on the street near the Four Seasons years ago.
    Maybe he'll chime in with the story. It's brief but very cool.

17. jsb!

jsb! Forum Resident

I know this is all little off-topic, but:

I AM SEEING BOB DYLAN TONIGHT, IN ABOUT SIX HOURS!

Sorry, thanks.

Buda, Stan, HominyRhodes and 5 others like this.
  18. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

Within the past year Bob & Band has unfortunately/fortunately started playing basically the same show every night.

I say unfortunately as a jam band follower who loves going to concerts and not know what songs you will see. I've seen Dylan probably upwards of 20 times since 1999 and have definitely heard well over a 100 different songs. Probably closer to 200. As you said, until recently there would be significant changes every night, with only a handful of songs played every night. And those handful of songs that'd be consistent would change tour to tour.

I say fortunately because the last two times I saw Bob, there were next to no lyric flubs, or "lost" jams. Previously Dylan would mix up the order of verses/repeat verses regularly (I don't think he's nailed a desolation row start to finish since the 90s). Last two times I saw him he nailed every lyric, and even did some clever new lines in Tangled Up In Blue one show, something I hadn't heard in my Dylan shows previously. Musically, it was tighter too. There had previously been shows where the band would repeat the same things a few times (perhaps because Bob couldn't remember where to come in?).

So there are pro's and con's of Bob playing the same show every night. The only thing I would say is don't buy tickets to back to back shows unless seeing the same show twice doesn't bother you.

tonyc and botley like this.
  19. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

in 2002 he rocked the house down and covered freaking 5 warren zevon songs in the set and a year or two later the bob/merle haggard tour was really awesome but then in 2010 and again on the bob/knopfler tour, my god it was the biggest snooze ever. but bob bounces back and gets awesome every now and again, isnt that how it goes?

20. serge

serge Forum Resident

jam band bob is long dead..... crooner bob has stepped up to the mike....

since 1996 i've seen quite a few bob's...its fun.... the first one is was deadhead bob (in the aftermath of jerry's death) which turned to jamband bob...

21. botley

botley Forum Resident

I liked hearing Bob mostly behind a piano for the '04 shows (shades of his Bobby Vee era), but Bibbity-Bobbity hoppin' light with the stiff pant legs on is pretty entertaining, too.

I'd be happy to see him mix it up with just a few rotating setlists ('A' show and 'B' show, perhaps) for these mutli-date residencies. I'm only going to one night so it doesn't really matter as far as concerns me.

TeddyB likes this.
  22. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

I'm trying for the three Seattle shows. I figure this may be the last time I'll be able to do this multiple show thing with Dylan. It will literally take several of my paychecks, but who needs to pay rent anyway? I'd regret it more if I didn't go.

True, Bob hasn't mixed up his setlists much lately. But you never know what surprises may be in store on a new leg of the tour. It's always great to see Charlie too.

Buda and teebo911 like this.
  23. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

Last year in Rome, Dylan changed all the setlist...

24. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

Please give us your thoughts on the show.

25. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

Saw him in Melbourne 4 nights running just last week.
    Same set list each night, but stunning performances from Bob and band. He is singing really well and is very engaged and having a lot of fun on stage, leading the band often on his baby grand.
    He's really in great form, just owning the new songs.
    If you like his last couple of albums DO NOT MISS IT!

jsb!, serge and mr. scratchy esq like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.