Looking for a cart for older records, styrene 45's, etc. for under $50 - any recommendations?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by sami, Aug 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sami

sami Mono still rules Thread Starter

I've got a large collection of classic singles, many of them styrene, and I need a cartridge for them - I know it has to have a conical or spherical tip, but what I'm unsure about is whether it needs to have a heavy VTF, as some have suggested. I really don't want to pay more than $50 for one now, then possibly look at better choices down the road.

The three I've heard a little about are:

Audio Technica AT 3600 (1.5 - 2.5 grams VTF)
    Shure M-44G (1.5 - 3 grams)
    Shure 35X (1.5-3 grams)

All are under $50, and I've read good and not so good things about all three. Does anyone have experience with any of these, and are there others to consider. Thanks so much for any help!

2. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I have both a Shure M44G and a Shure M35X, and the M35X is the one I prefer.

Supposedly the internals on the M35 body are very close to the V-15 Type V (!!!!).

3. sami

Wow! What weight do you track it at?

4. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I use a 44G cart with a N44E stylus. 4 x 7 elliptical that tracks between 1.5 and 4g w/ 9.5 mV output. Fantastic sound with all records, but incredible on the ones that you're talking about.

5. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I've had good results with the M44g on less-than-stellar 45s.

6. sami

So it isn't necessary to have the conical tip I've seen Steve call a must for old singles, and especially styrene? Where do you track the 44G at?

7. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

No problem using an elliptical. Steve was referring if I remember correctly to the M55E, which has a smaller stylus and tracks at a much lighter force. Conicals like the 44-7 are fine for 45's and I like it a lot too. But the 44E give you just a bit more of everything. I typically track it around 2.5g on my Garrard Lab 80 or Dual 1019. I like the fact that you have such a wide range to choose from which makes it a good choice for a lot of different arms.

8. sami

Thanks very much for the information. I'll check that out.

9. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Shure M 35x is the bargain and one of the best current offerings for your wishes. I recommend this or a Shure M 44-G highly.

10. action pact

1.5g for the M44G and 2.25g for the M35X.

11. action pact

I'm hesitant to speak for the man, but I distinctly remember him stating a preference for the M44G and claiming that the M55E "carves" into the groove, which he never explained.

12. sami

Thanks for the responses and information, everyone.

Looks like the M44G or the M35X. Maybe get the 44G and pick up the N44E stylus for versatility, like sberger recommended.

13. McLover

McLover Senior Member

M35x tracks superbly at 1.75 grams on good tonearms. As good as it will track.

sami likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.