Kate Bush Live Shows 2014 *Spoiler* Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by theMess, Aug 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

It was an artistic decision. I haven't seen it, so I can't say whether it feels like a "cheat", but it doesn't sound like it from the description. It sounds like she wanted this segment to be sung while floating in water. Whether one feels that decision has artistic merit or not is up to the individual viewing the show, but it sure sounds interesting.

2. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

If Kate can't sing for an hour, then that's unfortunate. But I doubt it's true.

This is not rec.music.gaffa, and I don't believe it's "disrespectful" to suggest that the reason Kate doesn't sing for portions of the show is much more likely an artistic decision than because she can't hack the singing. And, oh, by the way, she's gained weight, but it's not like she's morbidly obese. She looks like a healthy woman of her age. Maybe it's disrespectful to suggest that's an issue--you might want to consider that next time you put on a PC police hat. But I wouldn't worry about it, personally.

showtaper, EwaWoowa and ippudo like this.
  3. Teddy Novaks

Teddy Novaks Forum Resident

Saw Kate wednesday, I cried.

The show was a genuine spectacle and she was onstage for a good 2 1/2 hours.

Managed to get seat in the third row; the sound there wasn't great but I was 12-15 feet from one of my idols. I can't imagine her changing the running order of either song cycle; they're just too good as is, and there is a logical flow. Both have a storyline...

It was like nothing I've ever seen before. I'm going again, this time the seat is further back and I'd expect the sound to be better. KT namechecked James Guthrie on the night and I've just learned that the helicopter sound is the one used in The Wall.

Happy, happy, happy.

[​IMG]

4. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

I agree this specific example was an artistic decision. My point was that it also allowed her to take a break. She was taking sips of water from stageside even during the first 6 songs. It's my speculation that - given that her extended break from touring was part due to the exhaustion she felt - that this time she's taking no chances and taking things as easy as she can. There were several parts of the show where Kate left the stage and they weren't for costume changes. Sure, some of this was artistic but I suspect that it was also to help keep her energy levels up.

5. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

This is an odd album-by-album feature, since it skips her second album, Lionheart.

But one of the key points it raises: Kate Bush was signed to EMI in much much better times, when their artists could basically have carte blanche to record at Abbey Road at arm's length from management and with nearly unlimited time...(The Beatles were the first obvious pop benefactors of this).

Oh...And will we ever get a chance to hear those hundreds of demo songs from the time of the first album?!

theMess likes this.
  6. butch

butch Senior Member

No, I was referring to you calling the other poster's opinion, silly. That's where you were being disrespectful. You have a right to disagree but I think you overstepped your boundaries.

Kate was actually quite heavier believe it or not. One could say that she was becoming morbidly obese. Unfortunately she was not in the best physical shape and she starting exercising with a personal trainer. She did it primarily to keep up her stamina for the show but to also lose weight.She looks better but is still heavy. In addition she's not the young woman she once was when she toured 35 years ago. It is certainly possible that Kate wanted to rest at certain points during the shows besides the appointed breaks.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  7. Kate loves analogue and regrets the albums recorded digitally.

8. ConnieGuitar

ConnieGuitar Here in my balloon...

Hi, Teddy - thanks for the post! Would you mind elaborating a little on your references to the sound not being great from your vantage point? Too muddy? Loud? Mixing issues? Were you in one of the side sections or center? I'm in row H of the stalls (so fourth row from what I've read) so am very curious to hear more about this: thanks in advance.

9. Teddy Novaks

I was in row F, centre block so third row.

To me it was a little muddy, but I put this down to being so close. Some of the instruments where not as defined as they could be.

So what! You'll be 15 feet from the stage and so 20" at times from KATE BUSH!! I'm going again in a few weeks, seat will be half way back do I'd expect the sound to be clearer...

ippudo and Sammy Waslow like this.
  10. butch

butch Senior Member

It's definitely a case of original intent vs a later reinvention/re-imagining isn't it? I got the same impression you have because her original ending was so absolute and definite(as Kate states in the discussion) vs the Before The Dawn performance of Ninth Wave which seems to be more open to intrepretation.

11. ConnieGuitar

ConnieGuitar Here in my balloon...

Oh trust me I'm not complaining in the least... :) I was just curious: of course I can't help wanting everything to be just so.

And thanks for the clarification re the row configuration as well - I thought I'd read on here previously that the first four rows had been removed for this production.

12. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I will be in row T somewhere in the middle, hoping that this is a good seat.
    re the member who was rude about my earlier post, I tend these days to treat rude people on forums like these as I would treat them in real life, by ignoring them. Life is too short and I find usually they are just looking to provoke a reaction or start a fight. This was proven in this case as they then went on to call another member PC, as if that is a bad thing.
    Anyway, moving on....
    I wonder what the Hospitality packages turned out like? The ones with a meal in the church etc

13. Teddy Novaks

Finally: my own personal weep count: 5 times. Running Up That Hill (the whole thing just caught me up: Kate f-ing Bush is singing RUTH right in front of me!), And Dream Of Sheep, Watching You Without Me, Hello Earth and Cloudbusting.[/QUOTE]

At least one Naughty Boy sneaked a few... :wave:

14. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

Twenty inches from Kate?!?! :D;)

(Classic Spinal Tap Stonehenge typo)

sunspot42 and Teddy Novaks like this.
  15. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Makes sense. Kate has virtually never had to sing for long times, and if she has to call off concerts at the end of the run it will be a serious body blow to any plans to perform live again. On top of this, people who want to sing on stage a lot usually have vocal training for those purposes that changes the range and tonality of the voice. I'm guessing that Kate won't have done that, because her recording voice has already changed quite a lot with age and studio work must still be where her main future lies.

16. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Excellent. Sounds like Kate will be performing "Sat in your Lap".

LivingForever and theMess like this.
  17. Cloudbuster

Cloudbuster Forum Resident

Around the time of the release of her last album Kate was asked if she would consider putting out some of her earliest compositions, unfortunately her answer was "no". I'd love to hear Never For Ever which was recorded during the Lionheart sessions. Andrew Powell, who worked with her at that time, described it as "a killer song".

theMess likes this.
  18. ippudo

ippudo Forum Resident

Give me an inch, girl!

theMess likes this.
  19. Cloudbuster

Cloudbuster Forum Resident

20. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Morbidly obese? That's really hard to imagine.

21. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

We've all seen the recent photos. Kate isn't a lithe 20-something year old anymore, but then again, few of her fans are either. I think a lot of us have a mental image of Kate circa 1985 as that was the last time she did signifant press in support of one of her records. After her son was born, she obviously held on to some of those pounds and maybe added a few more over the years. From a clinical standpoint, she might qualify as obese (then again at 175 my 5' 11" frame is on the high end of normal on that scale), but I'm not sure she deserves the morbidly obese label typically reserved for operatic singers either.

22. Dr.O'Boogie

Dr.O'Boogie Forum Resident

I know the feeling :)...even if it was a long time ago!

[​IMG]

23. Teddy Novaks

Reminds me.. while I saw The Police in a pub - the Nashville - I never tried to see her way back then...

24. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I guess I haven't seen these photos. I've seen some where she's older but that's it.

25. butch

butch Senior Member

The operational word in that sentence(she was becoming morbidly obese) is "becoming"(I didn't say she was morbidly obese). I have been communicating with someone who went to the shows and she didn't seem graceful on stage with all that weight according to their opinion. BTW she was heavier before these performances. The only reason I mentioned her obesity was because of the comments on the breaks etc so on in the show. She is no longer the lithe 20 year old that toured 35 years but rather a 56 year old who is obese. That will affect her stamina on stage for sure.

jsayers likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.