Jimi Hendrix's 'The Cry of Love' and 'Rainbow Bridge' Treated to Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Crazyhorse11, Aug 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Which version of Straight Ahead do you think will be released on the re-issue of COL?

2. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Pretty sure they are missing film on a couple key Randall tracks. The 7 tracks circulating might be it.

3. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

"Takin' Care Of No Business" is one of Jimi's earliest known songs, dating to spring 1966, Jimi signing a publishing contract for it on March 30 that year.
    Unfortunately there's no known '66 recording of it, only the version with Curtis Knight from July '67 and The Experience's May '67 recording.

4. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

The regular one - there is only one offical version.

reb likes this.
  5. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

ok, i thought there were some differences on first rays.

dino77 likes this.
  6. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

If the film has higher definition, is a little lighter (is that possible?) and features camera angles that we haven't seen before, then it will be "interesting". The problem remains that Jimi's heart just wasn't really in it, he looked miserable and was pretty well static all the way through.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
    dino77 likes this.
  7. SoundAdvice

Isn't there 40 minutes of that show on film that's never been seen? Even "off-night" Jimi I find weirdly fascinating and hypnotic to watch.

8. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

There is NO consensus Ok???? If there was then we'd all be happy and satisfied and there would be no more need for threads or the Steve Hoffman web site. So just watch your step there mister! o_O :D
    the beave

Carserguev likes this.
  9. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Nope :)

10. Which is what I call the crappy one. Don't get me wrong, the song is great, but nothing can convince me Jimi was finished with the overdubs. I think it was, indeed, the message that prompted Jimi to make a quick mix of it to debue at the Electric Lady opening party. It really makes me wonder what the other mix sounds like - the one done a day or a couple of days before the one that is commonly known now.

As for "Drifter's Escape," it sounds complete, but only the mix on Loose Ends does it for me. It sounds like one of those tracks where Jimi dubbed a slew of guitar lines, and the idea was to fade in and out certain channels to see which licks flowed better with one another. Kind of a pre-Gilmour thing.

11. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

True. Without the theatrics, one can concentrate on the amazing finger work.

12. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Me too! I supposed we were just so used to it but the "Loose Ends" version is less fussy, more direct and just works better in my opinion.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  13. SoundAdvice

I think it's only 3 camera angles for Atlanta and little clear footage of the other 2 band members. And the 3 camera angle for Jimi aren't the greatest - said stage or a sharp upward angle from the camera pit.

14. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Well Ultimate Hendrix just says the gig was recorded and filmed. I did read that EH felt some of the footage was too dark to use but I suppose we'll never know if the entire gig was filmed unless EH decides to release some additional information. It was a mulit-artist gig like IOW, so there was a lot filmed on that day.

15. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

Neither do I. However, either one would have been fine as a b-side to "All Along the Watchtower." A Dylan pastiche to accompany a Dylan cover. But otherwise... not so much.
    That makes the most sense. But unfortunately, the mix that appears on South Southern Delta is painful to listen to.

16. SoundAdvice

Red House from Randall's would be the biggest priority for any kind of release but no footage of it has ever surfaced. It's the only song from Randall's that EH ever gave a CD/LP release.

17. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Agreed! Although I think "Watchtower" from Randall's should have been released sooner than it was. I think it's the best multi-tracked version of that song they've got.

18. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Here are my reconfigured versions of the albums based upon interviews I have read with Eddie Kramer.

The Cry Of Love - All First Rays project

Freedom
    Drifting
    Ezy Ryder
    Night Bird Flying
    Dolly Dagger (Originally held back for Rainbow Bridge and replaced with My Friend)

Room Full Of Mirrors (Originally held back for Rainbow Bridge & swapped with Straight Ahead)
    Astro Man
    Angel
    In From The Storm
    Belly Button Window

Rainbow Bridge - All First Rays project tracks

Stepping Stone (Originally held back for War Heroes)
    Earth Blues
    Pali Gap
    Bleeding Heart
    Straight Ahead (Swapped with Room Full Of Mirrors)

Izabella (Originally held back for War Heroes)
    Drifter's Escape
    Beginnings
    Come Down Hard On Me Baby
    Hey Baby (New Rising Sun)

NOTE: The live Hear My Train A Comin' from Berkeley added to Hendrix In The West. If necessary, drop The Queen & Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

War Heroes - All Experience era outtakes

Look Over Yonder
    Somewhere
    Peace In Mississippi
    My Friend (Originally replaced Dolly Dagger on The Cry Of Love)
    The Star Spangled Banner - studio version
    Have You Ever Been (To Electric Ladyland)

Highway Chile
    The Stars That Play With Laughing Sam's Dice (Originally held back for Loose Ends)
    Tax Free
    51st Anniversary (Kramer has stated that this should have been added to War Heroes)
    Midnight

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  19. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

If you feel there are too many instrumentals on my reconfigured War Heroes, the Experience cover of Gloria could be added instead of one of the instrumental tracks.

old school likes this.
  20. Cool! I see what you're doing - using all of the tracks available at the time, according to Kramer, to reconstruct how he would have done it if he were given free reign. Did he mention "Drifter's Escape," as being in the running back then? If so, I take it that it would be the mix that he and Hendrix put together and not the posthumous mix on Loose Ends.

I take it that's the same with "Stepping Stone" and "Izabella," not using the single mixes. I wonder why he felt the need to remix "In From the Storm," when there was a superior mix already in the can, done by Hendrix.

crozcat likes this.
  21. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

That is correct, these come from Kramer's suggestions of how to improve the albums based upon some of his original configurations and then some ideas he had later. I tried to use the tracks they had available at the time and not newer outtakes that they have found more recently. The later period tracks are now all on the Cry Of Love and Rainbow Bridge and the Experience era tracks are on War Heroes. My intention was to use the same mixes and versions they used to compile the Cry Of Love, Rainbow Bridge, War Heroes and Loose Ends.

Some of these reconfigured versions could perhaps be improved by using some of the newer outtakes and versions and mixes that are now available.

Another lp could be compiled using more later period outtakes including tracks like Message To Love, Power Of Soul, Lover Man, Valleys Of Neptune, Cherokee Mist, Crash Landing, Stone Free (remake) etc..

I also compiled my own Band Of Gypsies studio album that I have posted a few times on the forum.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  22. old school

old school Senior Member

Good stuff John! You really know your Hendrix I'm impressed.

John Fell likes this.
  23. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Thanks Old School! I know you are a big fan yourself. :edthumbs:

old school likes this.
  24. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

I don´t understand the dislike for Drifter´s Escape...
    Too many guitar tracks for some, maybe - but I love it!

Carserguev, old school and John Fell like this.
  25. Could you post the BOG studio album again, with where you've taken the tracks from? Can't seem to find that post. Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.