Considering this beginner system

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Hanked, Aug 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hanked

Hanked New Member Thread Starter

Hey everyone, I've been floating around this forum and reading articles online trying to piece together enough knowledge to buy a decent system. I'm looking for great sound on a reasonable budget with a turntable.

Rega RP1 Turntable Cool Grey With Carbon Cartridge
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00AHVH8...TF8&colid=36CKECLOAXF03&coliid=I32GCGAWJW3MHW

Denon PMA520AE Integrated Amplifier - Black
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007Y3OB...lid=36CKECLOAXF03&coliid=I1OS6LNM9F8404&psc=1

Dali Zensor 1 Speakers Per Pair Black
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dali-Zensor-Speakers-Pair-Black/dp/B0057X5KF0/ref=pd_sxp_grid_i_0_0

This comes to about £600 ($1000)

Based purely on internet research and reviews. Any better alternatives for the same price range? Am I right in thinking that I don't need a pre-amp with this set up? What cables will I need? Can I also plug my TV or my laptop in to this amp?

Would really appreciate your help. Thanks in advance!

mikeyt likes this.
  2. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident

That has got the makings of a brilliant system regardless of upgrading or not. I wish you luck with it.

Hanked likes this.
  3. Hanked

Thanks Good Guy, what cables will I need to hook this up?

4. octaneTom

octaneTom Man of Leisure

Looks like the Denon comes equipped with its own MM phono stage, so you're correct - you won't need a separate phono pre-amp. The Rega comes w/ integrated RCA cables, so you won't need to buy a cable to hook that up to the amp. So, you'll just need some speaker wire. I'd recommend BlueJeans, but since you're in the UK the shipping might be expensive. I'd say just get some decent 12AWG wire at a local shop, nothing fancy, and call it a day.

5. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident

Qed keeps it nice & cheap or Chord if you have a bit more cash.

Hanked likes this.
  6. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Looks like a pretty cool setup!, I like that Rega :cheers:

Hanked likes this.
  7. Looks like you're on the right track. I wouldn't concern myself too much with looking for alternatives as you'll get 101 suggestions, and it'll just confuse you.

My only concern is the Denon Integrated Amp. There's no doubt it'll work, but if you can...try to get a unit with a little larger wattage.

jupiterboy, Hanked and norman_frappe like this.
  8. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

I had a Rega RP1 for a while and liked it a lot. No fuss, easy and fun to use and not much to go wrong.

Hanked likes this.
  9. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

As you are new to the game, I would suggest visiting a few shops and listening to some different components first, so you'll have a better idea of what type of sound you like and whether the components you are considering will be able to deliver it. Reading on-line reviews only takes you so far, and synergy between your various components is important.

Dave and Hanked like this.
  10. Hipper

Hipper Forum Resident

An integrated amp is one which combines a power amp and a pre-amp, and as pointed out it also has a phono input for your turntable, so you don't need to buy a separate pre-amp. The three pieces you propose buying when connected will play music.

Your speakers may need stands or some support. A rack to put the gear on might also be useful, especially to isolate the turntable from external vibrations. Of course you can use any old shelves to start with and get stands and rack whenever budget allows.

No matter what price of gear, if you have flexibility in positioning the speakers and your chair you could improve the sound considerably compared to just plonking the gear anywhere.

Richer Sounds seem to have a good deal on your amp at the moment:

http://www.richersounds.com/product/amplifiers-receivers/denon/pma520ae/deno-pma520

Richer Sounds have been around a while, as have these people:

http://www.sevenoakssoundandvision.co.uk/

As mentioned above, if you can find a local dealer who will let you listen to various combinations within your budget you should try them. You can talk to them, give them your budget, tell them your future plans and what you like listening to. Bring your own music if you can. I know Sevenoaks have listening facilities because I used them in the past. You don't have to buy on a first visit. In fact I'd say it's best to sleep on it and listen again a week or so later. I would say though that it's not nice to listen and then buy somewhere cheaper, although there's no harm in pointing out cheaper prices to them. Over time you could establish a relationship with them which allows upgrading gear.

To find out more info on the Denon Google your amp and find Denon's site. Here you can look at its manual which should answer your questions. It does not have a USB input so if you wanted to connect a laptop I think you could only do it via a USB DAC (Digital to Analogue Converter), or an external sound card with line out terminals. If you intend to buy a CD player in due course you may find that that has USB input (it will have a DAC installed).

I remember when I got my first gear forty odd years ago. I didn't know what I was doing and choices were limited (vinyl was the only real option although cassettes were just coming in). All I wanted was to play my music on my record player!

Exciting isn't!

But, try not to get carried away. It's dead easy to just buy the gear on Amazon or other places but it's also dead easy to make mistakes. Promotional literature and reviews make everything sound like world beaters but the only real way of finding out if these products are to your taste is to listen first. I know it's a bit daunting to follow the advice of listening at dealers but they should treat you well (if they don't just leave) and understand your difficulties. You will surely be more certain of getting a satisfying, long lasting purchase that way.

11. I like when I read generous and smart posts.

athensdrums likes this.
  12. Hanked

Hi John, thanks for your response. What benefit do you get from larger wattage?

13. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Welcome to the forum.

14. Hanked

Thanks for taking the time to write such a great response. I'm definitely going to drive down to Seven Oaks and check Richer Sounds out. The Denom amp is much cheaper than Amazon, although I work for Amazon so I get a small discount.

I had read about the way various components work together and how it effects the sound but I think it just didn't register that buying 3 pieces of well researched gear might not be the best approach. I'll go and have a play in store and see if I get a bit of an education at the same time.

Thanks again.

15. Hanked

Thanks, amazed how friendly everyone is. I expected my n00b question to ignored given that it was my first post. I'll definitely be sticking around

c-eling likes this.
  16. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

Looks like a nice setup.

17. econalan

econalan Forum Resident

I think this is great advice. In addition, you likely can get a better deal buying a package of components from one dealer, as opposed to buying individual components online.

18. Hipper

Hipper Forum Resident

Oh, I didn't realise you were a noob. F... off. :)

T'mershi Duween and tim185 like this.
  19. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

You received helpful answers because you are smart enough to do some advance research and assemble an intelligent plan before posing your very valid questions. It's the folks who come in and ask "what turntable should I buy for $100 so I can spin my grampa's vinyls?" that usually get ignored.

Welcome to the SH Forum!

20. 35wpc is not big enough to give you sufficient headroom before possibly driving it into clipping (distortion) mode, on those occasions when you happen to turn up the volume quite loud. While this may not damage the amplifier it could easily fry the tweeters of your speakers. My advice would be to buy as much power as you can afford.

21. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

While I know little about the Rega turntable and nothing at all about the Denon amp, I can however vouch for the speakers as I've been using these for a few years now, and love them.
    They were used with a cheapish Onkyo all in one system at first (for about six months), and worked very well, no clipping, no damage. They're hooked to an Atoll In30 now and work even better.
    They're very handsome as well (didn't care much for the plasticky look of the lacquered one, but it's no big deal).

22. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

You may want to listen to the Project debut 3 with Ortofon cartridge. Ups your budget a little by 40L or so but that cartridge is very nice- dynamic and detailed.
    I like the Dali speakers without the ribbon tweeter and those are very nice. Dennon (D & M) make bullet proof amps.
    My only recommendation is to check out cartridge alternatives to the base rega carbon which is a bottom of the line MM cart.

23. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

My system is driven by a 30 watt per channel British amp and it plays as loud as I can stand and sounds wonderful.

24. Hanked

Thanks Mrtn, I think I'm going to give them a go

25. Hanked

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.