Has the vinyl resurgence led to increased sales in the HiFi industry?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Brian Gupton, Aug 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Summerisle

Summerisle Forum Resident

Headphones offer a much better image, even relatively low cost earbuds can leave a modest stereo standing.

Um excuse me, no.

2. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Personally, I don't find that to be the case with headphones. I think most sound like crap with severely out of kilter frequency balance -- way rolled of highs, bloated midbass -- unless you get up into the big bucks range and they offer no imaging at all -- everything's obviously hard left or hard right. I use 'em a lot -- headphones, IEMs, not cheap earbuds -- in my work and when I'm doing recording and audio editing etc, but almost never for pleasure. And while I listen to music, say, when I'm driving or working out or something (not so much while I'm working, the music is too distracting), its no substitute for actually listening to music with undivided attention. (FWIW I also subscribe to the old fashioned practice of paying attention and not, say, texting, during concerts either.)

But, you know, people's behavior is people's behavior. I just think it's the cultural and behavioral changes that are the challenge for the future of hifi -- not the way hifi is marketed. And I don't think that exposing people to better sound -- and almost anything offers better sound that low cost earbuds or the common portable Bluetooth receiver/speaker systems -- means most people will care.

3. Summerisle

Summerisle Forum Resident

Absolutely.

Slick Willie likes this.
  4. The Entertainer

The Entertainer Forum Resident

I will say that high end audio can be very discouraging for younger people on a budget. Recently I went into a Huppins looking for an Audi0-technica AT-LP120, which is a decent, but not great turntable. But it suits what I've been looking for and is definitely a step up from my $100 Sony. When I finally got someone to come and help me, I was informed that their turntables did not come with a cartridge and I'd need to buy a $100 cartridge in addition to the turntable (I'm not sure why this is when I've seen it come with a cart elsewhere.) and if I'm going to HAVE to spend $300 on a turntable anyway I might as well get the Pro-ject turntable over here, or this slightly better one here, or this $1000 Thorens over here. Basically the guy was telling me "oh, you don't want that piece of junk" for a turntable I think it pretty decent. I mean, I can't afford to spend $1000 on a turntable, so I left feeling like, oh well, might as well stick with my cheapy I guess.

5. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Sometimes for HiFi shops, it is about missed opportunities. I have thought about what I am about to post, have decided to do so in spite of the outside chance of hurting any feelings. I think it is of import here. While visiting a "local" (for me) HiFi shop about 5-6 years ago, I had an experience that while far from unpleasant, did not entice me, to this day, to return. I entered looking for equipment to play SACD's on. This store had none at that time. I was told that modern redbook players exceeded/matched what SACD's could provide. I disagreed and was met with debate. That is never a good idea. I explained that they just sounded so much more natural to my ear. Now, this store had a lot of turntables displayed, a book case full of LP's. Never once did I hear any played or was I steered in the direction of vinyl, even after making the statement of how more "natural" SACD's sounded to me. Odd now to me. I was left alone in a listening room with my discs (only after having to explain that I wanted to play my stuff to have a reference point) without anyone checking up on me to get my thoughts. I finally got a little bored and walked out of the room. Was met with "good stuff ain't it" comment. No followup, that was it. I felt like the owner of the shop had dismissed me. Within 18 months I purchased about $8,000 in gear from a shop over twice the distance from me. Why? He seemed to care, asked me questions, listened, offered me alternatives with auditions. Called me to follow up. For a successful HiFi shop in these times, knowledge is not enough, make each visitor feel special. 'Cause if they are in a HiFi shop...they are!!!! If not, they would be online or in a big box store. Remember, it takes effort to find a HiFi shop these days. Today's lurker may be tomorrows big spender.Another thing I noticed about the store I purchased from was that they sold trade in gear and customer's used gear. And they would show you that with as much enthusiasm as the new gear. Sadly, that owner retired and sold his business/name and the new owners are more about whole house system installs, where the big money is in their market. Before I end this (man, I'm chatty today), I saw an earlier post about offering audiophile issues of music in these stores - awesome idea as it generates traffic, I'm sure it has a downside too. Note to owners - respect the customer, listen, offer alternatives, show enthusiasm for your product! And - rock on!

Gumboo, Robert C and theron d like this.
  6. DaveC113

DaveC113 Forum Resident

Oh, ok. This post explains a lot. :rolleyes:

BrokenByAudio and Slick Willie like this.
  7. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Well, if your photo's anything to go by, the beard must be in good shape.... :rolleyes:

8. Brother_Rael

Excuse yourself all you like, but a simple pair of decent earbuds - say around £50 - will put out a high quality reproduction of good source material. Um, like, yeah...

9. Brother_Rael

True, however, you need high fidelity and that needn't be high price.

10. Slick Willie

:laughup:

beowulf, DaveC113 and BrokenByAudio like this.
  11. Brother_Rael

No idea what you've listened to but your comments sound like sweeping generalisations to some extent. Sennheiser CX300-II would be a decent example (and they imaged well). But go up the ladder and yes, you'll get even better. Sennheiser HD650s or the like.

I appreciate it's difficult for some legacy audiophiles to cope with progress, that the technology moves on, or their pet products are no longer "up there", but such is life. Time moves on and the wider community benefits accordingly. Whether or not hairshirt wearing, beard stroking legacy audiophiles do is neither here nor there really.

Robert C likes this.
  12. Brother_Rael

Like I was saying in my previous post...

13. Brother_Rael

How one listens to music doesn't dictate the kind of listener they are. Much like how many times legacy audiophiles stroke their beards while listen and nodding sagely to DSOTM. Thank God, we're moving on! [​IMG]

14. Slick Willie

In bold - tell the old man - what 'dat means?

15. BrokenByAudio

BrokenByAudio Forum Resident

[sound of fingers drumming on the desk…]

16. Slick Willie

But...what were you saying...I get confused easily....

17. Brother_Rael

Such is life Willie, such is life...

18. Slick Willie

Hey, can ya' be any more vague? Not that I blame you, really, your arguments ....well, are they real? Or just sentences pieced together to sound cool? Once again, I feel confused...

19. T'mershi Duween

T'mershi Duween Forum Resident

This! I have to use them sometimes in the studio. Why would anyone use 'phones unless they have to!?!

The biggest negative about headphones? They will destroy your hearing over time if you listen to music at it's proper rockin' reference levels.

Headphones are very, very bad for the hearing health of younger "future audiophiles".

Slick Willie likes this.
  20. Brother_Rael

No Willie, not at all. I find some legacy audiophiles views are outdated, long past their sell-by date and worthy of the kind of looks that gets sick animals put down.

I've heard plenty of gear over the years - from the late 60s to the present day. We've never been better served by our gear, but the harsh reality for some to accept is the kind of thing you poo-poohed above. £50 Sennheisers with good source material will get you great results. Accurate, faithful, high fidelity. If you want to spend more on great headphones, go ahead. There are many options to choose from.

Has vinyl led to a resurgence in the hifi industry? Yep, a little bit. But how we access music drove it up way more. Putting Apple and iTunes to one side, headphone manufacturers - the quality ones, not the crappy £10 bloated bass efforts you can get anywhere - put more effort into delivering higher quality. I use a 3rd Gen Touch, but I could nip out tomorrow and get an Astell and Kern unit for about £1000 or £1300 for their DSD model. Either way, you're spoilt for choice with headphones and portable gear that gives you high fidelity, portability and a great music experience. Some "audiophiles" don't get it, poo-pooh it, or look down their noses at it. Their loss really.

And yes, my argument (or point of view) is real. Nothing to do with sounding cool at all. Why would I want to do that? Bizarre...

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  21. Brother_Rael

Run this one by me again, you're being serious right...?

22. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

WTF is a 'legacy audiophile'?

Sounds like a poke in the eye.

23. eurekaiv

eurekaiv Active Member

I generally prefer headphones because a good set of phones driven by a decent amp with a good source will be way cheaper than a proper system setup in a proper space, and the phones don't need the dedicated environment. Plus I love the way I can quite easily get lost in the music with headphones, I have to turn the music up way too loud to do that in my home. And a lot of recordings made over the last 20-30 years just sound better that way to me, no matter how good the speakers/system.

24. Slick Willie

Interesting, amusing, and confusing (doing the currency thingy). As I sit here listening to Sabbath's debut, stroking a beard I don't have. I am wondering how those sweet earbuds/cans match up to my 3-ways with dual 10" woofers. Not trashing your choices, just wondering if you should be posting with the grownups?:D You have made some rather "strong" statements - have you not? Maybe a bit over aggressive in your posts? Anyhoo, my suggestion is to be respectful, listen, and hopefully learn.....even if you think you have all of the answers. Oh yeah....peace out!

25. DaveC113

DaveC113 Forum Resident

You've never heard a decent stereo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.