Here we talk about: Lewis - L'Amour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thebunk, Apr 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thebunk

thebunk Senior Member Thread Starter

Ah, gotcha

2. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Unless Lewis took them home, it is unlikely the studio have kept all the different takes.

3. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

I was sort of trying to be funny. Guess it didn't work out too well!

4. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Whoops. :)

We read such outrageous things on these boards, you never know.

5. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

True. There have been worse box sets, I suppose!

Plan9 likes this.
  6. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

[​IMG]

Lewis - L'Amour -(R.A.W. 1983) // U.S.

Found a couple originals of these recently and will be selling one soon in the classifieds here on the forum so stay tuned. Sound is superior to the LITA reissue - more organic, breathy. however, the reissue is pretty stellar in its own right.

7. thebunk

o_O:yikes::righton:

8. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

So I should add that it is definitely not a hoax - these are 30 + year old vinyl records for sure.

9. thebunk

Shh, don't feed the trolls ;)

Bryce likes this.
  10. So, can you tell us how you came to be in possession of these coveted vinyls?

11. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

I actually found them in your neck of the woods - across the border from my home state of Minnesota in lovely Thunder Bay.

12. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

The story behind this album is more entertaining than the music itself, unfortunately. The music is 25 years ahead of its time and pretty visionary. Unfortunately, it's also pretty boring and didn't hold my attention. The production value is great and it sounds really modern. I only made it halfway through the album though. All the songs seem to be pretty much the same and I'm missing variation. Oh well. Thank you for the suggestion regardless!

Neonbeam and pdenny like this.
  13. goombay

goombay Forum Resident

i notice the guy from fiasco studios is not only selling downloads of this 'new album' but L'Amour and RT as well.

14. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

No. Those are links to the respective LITA pages.

15. nbakid2000

I swear I've seen two different copies of 'Romantic Times' - one with a cigar, one without a cigar. :confused: Am I completely mistaken? I went back to find the one without the cigar and now can't find it.

16. nbakid2000

Also, does anyone know what the bitrate is for Light in the Attic downloads?

17. thebunk

I think they all have him with a Ciagarello.

That is right, a Cigarello and not a cigar! ;)

A cigar is so not Lewis.

I333I likes this.
  18. nbakid2000

I'm debating buying the second album since I really wanna hear it. The first album is kinda growing on me.

19. thebunk

I can see this and you know, I kind of feel that way about RT. There are a handful of songs that are really good but a lot that is samey. But yeah, it is scary how ahead of its time it is when you think of recent/semi recent artists that share attributes of that record. I mean those dark synthy sounds with a sole singer / songwriter behind them and the warbly voice. Who did that?!

L'Amour I feel very differently about and love, but I get your point (I think). You need to be in the mood for it. For me it is a very late night record. The thing I love most about L'Amour is how imperfect the playing is. You read articles all the time from bands who say "dude, we recorded it live and raw in one take, mistakes and all" however you can never hear these mistakes. Listen to any song on L'Amour and the piano chords almost stumble drunkenly and I love that so much. I can't believe no one has done that before. Add the those synths and the mumbly low mixed vocals and it is heaven (again, when you are feelin it).

EasterEverywhere and Bryce like this.
  20. thebunk

As much as I am not a massive fan of the second album ( yet), I respect it so much. The switch from L'Amour to RT is pretty crazy given the 2 year gap and the fact Lewis is just a pimped out dude living the dream. They are both nighttime albums but in different ways. L'Amour is dreamy and hazy where as RT is straight up romantic nightmares and is more Lynchian then almost anything in any of his films.

Personally I would buy it while you can at a reasonable price. Worst case you spin it and you do not like it and in a few months I am sure you will get your money back or more.

21. nbakid2000

Yeah, OK, I pre-ordered the second album against my better judgment, but maybe I'll be amazed at it. Everyone else is jumping on the bandwagon, I may as well too just in case. :shrug:

22. thebunk

:thumbsup:

And again, full disclosure, not a massive fan but you could make much worse blind buys. I am against flipping culture but if you do not like you should come out at least break even (unless LITA go against there word of pressing more copies ).

23. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

I'm getting a creepy feeling about this.

thebunk likes this.
  24. nbakid2000

I might buy the first album too eventually. I see it's pretty readily available.

BTW, thanks to whoever mentioned the Jurgen Muller 'Science of the Sea' album. I've listened to that now, the Sonne = Blackbox (Ursula Bogner) is next on the list, and am looking up similar projects.

25. nbakid2000

Buying an album and deciding it sucks and then selling it off isn't really flipping. :laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.