Special Priced 100 SHM-SACD Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Awesome, Aug 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Please, that would be great. Do you have the Warner remaster from I think around 1998 too?

2. Has anyone 'seen' Rock Stamberg lately? He is usually very prolific in this forum but I can't recall the last time he posted.

3. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I compared it to the new Japan discs and the SHM titles win IMO. The older Vertigo sounds OK as well but it has a couple edits for no apparent reason.

4. eelkiller

Did you check his profile, that should tell you his last visit assuming he does allow members to view.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  5. I see. I think I'm in the minority here but I really liked the warner remasters. Not nearly as much as the SHM-SACD's, but I liked them nevertheless.

6. Right, doing that now. Thank you. Found him, he last posted today in a thread about bald musicians who wear wigs. I never made it to that thread. Too busy with high-Rez digital threads. Guess I'm missing out, too little time with way too much music to listen to, never mind trying to catch up here!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
    eelkiller likes this.
  7. eelkiller

The remasters were OK in my book, but these new issues have been worth adding, they are the best digital versions I have heard.

8. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

Where are you guys finding these on the CDJapan website? I see a banner for them on the site, but I can't seem to find the actual SACD's to order. Am I stupid?

9. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

(??) I think it rocks!!!

marcb and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  10. Yes, I agree. I kept the warner remasters too but the SHM-SACD's are, as I wrote, the definitive versions for me.

11. No. I just did the same thing and am not finding an overall list of titles.

12. eelkiller

Search for SHM-SACD, then sort by "latest first". They will show up first.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/products?q=shm-sacd&term.media_format=

13. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

This thread seems to have the murderer’s row of shm-sacd experts, many wins and losses on this roster. I had a hard time pinning down the SH Forum final verdict on the Stones non-2002-SACD albums Sticky Fingers, Exile, and to a lesser extent Goat’s Head, Some Girls [the whole flat transfer vs. they needed eq thing I guess]. Would anyone care to help with their thoughts if these shm-sacd are in fact real ’94 Ludwig beaters?

In trade I can provide that they got Quadrophenia and Who’s Next as original mixes really right [assuming that edition is what they will be repressing, has to be right?]; I have spent less time with Tommy but feel positive about it so far. Thanks as always.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  14. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

I have both the SHM-SACD and the original CD (http://www.discogs.com/João-Gilberto-João-Gilberto/release/1407316).
    On comparing the two I found the SACD to be a little bright and harsh, whereas the CD sounds smoother and less processed.

SteelyTom likes this.
  15. stever

stever Senior Member

This is great - I didn't buy a bunch of titles the first go-around. Does anyone remember how, What's Going On, was rated? And Dire Straits up to, Love Over Gold, are worth getting? Someone should paste Claus' list here.

16. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Interesting point. I suspect that the answer is that the Japanese plant is making SACDs almost exclusively for Universal and Denon, whereas the Austrian plant is doing them for everybody else in the world. So the Japanese plant probably has lots of extra capacity when compared to the Austrian plant.

17. TarnishedEars

Another interesting point. Although from my understanding there is also some special encryption hardware which is required to produce a genuine SACD master which only these two plants supposedly have.

18. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I wonder if the reissued Dire Straits S/T and Love Over Gold SHM-SACDs will have the mastering of the Platinum SHM-CDs?

Bill

19. TarnishedEars

That seems unlikely if they are reissues.

20. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I agree but one never knows. I just emailed cdjapan asking about the mastering of Dire Straits S/T and Love Over Gold reissued SHM-SACDs. I also asked what type of packaging the reissued SHM-SACDs will have.

Bill

21. Buy them all without hesitation if you think they got the Who's SHM-SACDs right.

tdavis0903, bmoregnr and Sander like this.
  22. dpv2008

dpv2008 Forum Resident

Right you are.

23. nesyarug

nesyarug Forum Resident

I ordered 13 of them yesterday. Bunch of Bill Evans titles I missed out on earlier. Some Dire Straits and Police to complete my SACD collections and BB King and Elvis Costello.

24. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

IIRC What's Going On SHM-SACD uses the same mastering as the MFSL SACD.
    This is a nice sounding disc and I can recommend it, however it is not the best digital pressing IMO (the Motown CD is).

25. Wasn't there a title that was recently released three times on SACD, once from the label, MoFi and japan SHM-SACD? Anyone recall the title?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.