Your thoughts on Sennheiser Headphones!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mr_mjb1960, May 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AJH

AJH Senior Member

I have had HD 650's for about three years, and I really like them. At some point (like someone else said), I'd like to go to HD 800's. I have nothing but good things to say about Sennheiser headphones.

AJH

vegafleet likes this.
  2. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Same here, starting with the HD 414. Now I use HD800s at home, and the new Momentums for portable. Couldn't be happier. They've earned my undying brand loyalty for sure.

sound chaser likes this.
  3. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I used these too for many years. I got to know them at the TV station I work (Deutsche Welle), where they could be found in every recording booth.

4. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die! Thread Starter

HD-201S is the model,very comfortable! at $29.95,a bargain,too!

5. mr_mjb1960

See last post.

6. mr_mjb1960

You will not be disappointed!

RickH likes this.
  7. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

As much as I like Sennheiser I got an inexpensive pair of in ear phones (under 50 Euro), that may not be as well balanced and fine tuned but I get a lot more fun with these.
    House Of Marley - Redemption Song - Midnight..
    Listened to the whole of Babylon y Bus on public transport yesterday and felt as if I was there again on the show. Very involving ! At first i did not hear theFender bass guitar of Aston Barret; but just one push further inside the ear tunnels and each note he played could be heard. WOW. Bob's voice was like the real thing, nothing stood out. They may be a bit britle or tinny in the highs but overall these phones satisfy me more than the cx 300 I used for years with the iPod

8. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

How does the Sennheiser Momentum compare to the Koss Porta Pro headphone just soundwise?

9. jelkinsmith

jelkinsmith New Member

Sennheiser headphones are just outstanding. It can give the best tangible sound quality. I have been using sennheiser headohones long back, my reviews are good.

10. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I've had the same pair of HD600's for about 13 years now, and I can't imagine my life without them.

I'm slightly less impressed with the HD558's I picked up as a replacement for my lost Grado S80i's as my work/travel headphones...I'd have to A/B them, but they seem to leave me less fulfilled than the similarly-priced Grados. (this also may be that the Grados are better powered by my the output of my MacBook than the 558's...don't have the cash for a dedicated portable headphone amp at the moment)

brianvargo likes this.
  11. Koroyev

Koroyev Member

I have a pair of HD598 and they sound pretty great. The 600 models were out of my price range when I bought the 598's, and I'm thinking about upgrading now.

The only other pairs of mid-range headphones I've tried, though, were some Beats and Bose models from friends and my dad respectively. I wasn't much of a fan (and neither is the rest of the internet, apparently). I can't really tell you how the Sennheisers compare to other actual quality brands, but I can tell you that they do sound good and are a very obvious improvement over your average earbud which the unfortunate masses tend to use, but that should go without saying.

12. royalcrown

royalcrown Forum Resident

Love my HD650's

13. BrewDrinkRepeat

BrewDrinkRepeat Forum Resident

Me, too. I use them mostly for recording (I don't normally listen to music w/ headphones around the house), and they sound fantastic for the money.

14. Alejandro Cohen

Alejandro Cohen Active Member

Thank you MJB, I'll check out the cheap as HD 201S. Cheers, alejandro

15. Troystar

Troystar Forum Resident

Can I ask what you didn't like about the 280 pro? I just got myself a pair, and I like them. They are my first good pair of headphones after a short lived Klispch image one which broke, and a HD 419 which I never liked.

16. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Used to use CX300-IIs for years, lovely fluid sound. Detailed and accurate. For £30 they were a steal. Think they're around £50 now.

17. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

I have a pair of HD600 for home use and HD25 for outdoors, and love them both.
    But I've also had a couple of their cheap earbud models that were very, very bad. AKG beats them in that price range, by far.

18. Jerod

Jerod Forum Resident

Love my HD650s

jriems likes this.
  19. Welly Wu

Welly Wu Active Member

I have the Sennheiser HD-800 headphones and I plan to get the Sennheiser HDVD 800 digital DAC and headphone amplifier in early December 2014. I love Sennheiser very much. They have the most natural tone out of all of the headphones and in-ear monitors that I've tried in the past.

20. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

The 280 pro sounds very harsh and distorted to me, like it is broken.

I recently sold them to a friend for $20 since they sounded so bad to me, but he's happy with them, so it must be something I'm overly sensitive to.

21. Goratrix

Goratrix Well-Known Member

Their MX 980/985 are hands down the best earbuds ever made. I had them for years and the detail and clarity still blows my mind.

[​IMG]

22. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I wouldn't call the 280 Pro very harsh and distorted, but when compared to better Sennheiser models such as the 580s their slight muddiness and overall lack of clarity becomes more apparent.

23. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I still have two pair of HD-580s purchased nearly 14 or so years ago. They still sound great and were a very good value for the money.

24. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I'd love to have a nice pair of HD 414's again. Some years ago, I donated mine to the local thrift not realizing I could have bought new ear pads for $10. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

25. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

And compared to electrostats and good orthos the slight muddiness and overall lack of clarity of the HD580/HD600/HD650 becomes more apparent. Of course, to be fair to Sennheiser they did make a good electrostat and the HD800 is in the same tier as good electrostats, so it would be equally fair to say the HD800 makes the slight muddiness and overall lack of clarity of the HD580 more apparent. (I'm just having some fun with your comment) ;)

I do really enjoy my HD580 and HD600. Still awesome headphones today even after 15 years.

When I think of Sennheiser headphones I think of the HD580/HD600/HD650 and the HD800. I haven't heard the IE800 in-ear. I don't know if it is worthy of being on my hallmark Sennheisers.

I'm not a fan of other Sennheiser headphones. Not a fan of the HD595/HD598 series. Not a fan of the HD280. Not a fan of the HD700.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.