Ever Encountered A Celebrity Before They Were Famous?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JamieC, Aug 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

After seeing him in Stand By Me I'm not surprised. :)

2. alexpop

Hey! That's a good Akira russiki flick.:)

3. alexpop

Yup' missed out on a slice of pie.

4. alexpop

Aimee Mann?

krock2009 likes this.
  5. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

I knew Janeane Garofalo, Louis C.K., Anthony Clark, and maybe a few other future celebrities when I was a comedy open miker. I was a little bummed that they became famous comedians and I was stuck working at Barnes and Noble.

krock2009 likes this.
  6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I fondly remember Kiss walking around the Central Park Zoo in full costume before they made it...

7. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Amos Lee used to work as a waiter in a restaurant I went to often. there was a club upstairs and he played twice as an opener when the opening act didn't show. He was exceptionally boring and self indulgent and the second time, really obnoxiously drunk (one of those 'I'm really clever' drunks).

8. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Back in the mid-90's I taught the little Kardashian girls how to use their computers.

Sorry about that :hide:

barnaby, goodiesguy and Steve Litos like this.
  9. darkmass

darkmass Forum Resident

Likely not a person who'd typically be considered a "celebrity", but...

While in college I took a class called "Intermediate Poetry Workshop" from a reasonably young poet, Charles Simic. In time, he went on to win a MacArthur "Genius" Fellowship, and a bit later the Pulitzer Prize for Poetry. He has won other awards as well, and in 2007 he was appointed as the fifteenth "United States Poet Laureate".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Poet_Laureate

http://www.poets.org/poetsorg/poet/charles-simic

10. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

I've known Terence Winter , writer for "The Sopranos" (he wrote "Pine Barrons"), creator/producer of "Boardwalk Empire", and Oscar nominated screenwriter for "Wolf of Wall Street" , since we were teenagers in Brooklyn NY

AndrewS, Vidiot and guidedbyvoices like this.
  11. The Hole Got Fixed

The Hole Got Fixed Owens, Poell, Saberi

Spent 3 summers with Jim Carrey at a local festival in the 70s.

bluejeanbaby likes this.
  12. Hightops

Hightops Forum Resident

Oakland A's manager Bob Melvin was in my junior year high school english class. Nice enough guy. I didn't know him well. The girl I had a crush on in 6th grade (but never mustered the courage to speak to) was his HS girlfriend.

13. scottM

scottM Forum Resident

Tom Morello (Rage against the Machine) was in a few of my classes in high school. Very smart and socially aware guy . First time I ever heard of South African apartheid was during a presentation from Tom. Probably around 1981.

krock2009 likes this.
  14. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

Before becaming a real actress, Penélope Cruz was know for appearing on Mecano's (Spanish Opo band from the 80's and the 90's) La Fuerza Del Destino in 1988. I went to see Mecano on their 1991 tour with some older friends and they happened to know what hotel where Mecano staying. After the concert we went as fast as we could to their hotel to meet them, but only of them, Nacho Cano, showed up, who was seeing Penélope at the time. She was there too, I remember her short, tiny, kind of fragile, but she was extremely kind. She looked like a nice girl.

barnaby likes this.
  15. Hightops

Hightops Forum Resident

I second that! Good for Quentin.

16. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

When did he take classes at USC? He played football for BYU.

17. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I'm confusing him with someone else, clearly...

18. progrocker

progrocker Senior Member

John Savage. I think it was 1971. My friend and I (I was 14) went to his girlfriend's house and once there his girlfriend's older sister introduced us to the guy she was seeing at the time (Savage). I think they were in acting school or classes at the time.

19. Mark B.

Mark B. Forum Resident

Had a similar experience with A. Whitney Brown. He played my college a few times while I was on the activities committee, then was picked up as a writer/cast member at SNL. We were all quite proud.

20. nopedals

nopedals Forum Resident

I went to a Dionne Warwick show in Reno around 1980, and the opening act was Jay Leno. I remember he did an extended routine on how guys love the stooges and gals do not.

The football coach at my high school was Mouse Davis, who invented the run and shoot offense.

Man, this thread is pathetic (-;

21. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member Thread Starter

Did he ever get to be THE Whitney Brown?:D

For those unaware that was his opening line:
    Hi I'm A. Whitney Brown. Someday I hope to be THE Whitney Brown.
    I first saw him on Michael Nesmith's Television Parts

Vidiot likes this.
  22. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member Thread Starter

Leno was also on Television Parts. Did a routine about his Buick Roadmaster

Vidiot likes this.
  23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Wow, there was a Peaches in Tampa? Back in the 1970s, we'd drive all the way to Ft. Lauderdale to go to the nearest Peaches, because there were no good record stores in Central Florida during that time. Peaches was like the mecca.

I've met a few famous people in my time, but not before they were famous. Sadly, I've met a lot of them after they were famous, and it's sad.

One of the best Leno routines ever: "The Buick Roadmaster! Dashboard made of solid steel. You get into a wreck with one of these babies, they just call the coroner, hose it down, and sell it to the next guy!"

I got to work with Leno a few times in the late 1970s and mid-1980s, and he was really nice, funny, and easy-going. His wife Mavis made me a ham sandwich when I set up his video system for him in 1978 (true story -- he lived in a small house on Spaulding right off Santa Monica Blvd. in West Hollywood, around the corner from a fire station).

24. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I could spend hours in a Peaches store back in the day. The one by us was huge.

25. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

He's not hugely well-known, but I went to high-school with David Hart (Parker Williams on In the Heat of the Night. ) We were also at The University of West Florida in Pensacola at the same time. He was studying acting and I was an English major. Very good actor, super nice guy.
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0366231/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.