The Coral's unreleased The Curse of Love (2005) coming soon?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Clarkophile, Oct 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night Thread Starter

Screen shot 2013-10-24 at 3.14.52 PM.png

...at least that's what the band was hinting on its Facebook page earlier this month.

Background: In 2005, Bill Ryder-Jones left the Coral. During his absence the band recorded an album's worth of material and named the project "The Curse of Love." According to drummer Ian Skelly, the sound was darker and somewhat gloomier than the band's other material. The title track has leaked and can be heard here:

Before its release, however, Ryder-Jones rejoined the band, who promptly scrapped The Curse of Love, then recorded and released Roots and Echoes in its stead.

Originally slated to appear on The Curse of Love was the song 'Cut from a Star,' recently released by drummer Ian Skelly as the title track to his debut solo album.

Tristero and PennyLanes like this.
  2. Mondayschild

Mondayschild Guest

Nice, I like that. A lot more miserable than their usually lighter approach.
    Sounds smililar to another well known scouse beat combo by the name of Echo And The Bunnymen....

PennyLanes likes this.
  3. Clarkophile

There was a similar teaser on the band's Facebook page the very next day, but I don't believe they've released any further information.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  4. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

"Roots & Echoes" is SUCH an underrated album:(

5. Neonbeam

Some excerpts from Pitchfork's review, 5,2 out of 10: "Sadly, Roots & Echoes' air of studious refinement sullies even its more cerebral material with schmaltzy gestures; "Fireflies" is a sub-Scott Walker mood piece whose title lyric is punctuated by garishly grooooovy organ fluttering, and slow-galloping closer "Music at Night" veers perilously close to Dire Straits dad-rock"

Now... that DOES hurt. And its so goddamned missing the point.

Groovy likes this.
  6. Clarkophile

7. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

great track, good news

8. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

Sometimes Pitchfork, like The Quietus, can have their music snob heads on and, as you say, miss the point entirely. Great music is great music, I don't care who it sounds like or who it borrows from.

Roots & Echoes is a masterpiece.

And what, prey tell, is wrong with being groovy? :righton:

Nick Dunning likes this.
  9. Dr-Winston

Dr-Winston Forum Resident

Great news for all fans of scousedelia...

10. Clarkophile

Good news is that preorders are available on the Skeleton Key Records site.
    Bad news is that it's gonna cost me almost 30 bucks Canadian to get it. I love the band and all, but come on.

11. Neonbeam

Yeah man, the course of the import:( But then again the deluxe box of "Butterfly House" was around 90€ when it came out. Then the price dropped dramatically. Paid ten for mine...

12. Clarkophile

13. Clarkophile

14. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

15. Clarkophile

16. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

Who do they think they are, Thom Yorke?

17. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

Got my copy today - sounds more like a lost album from 1968 than 2006 - a very restrained , autumnal (hope this is a word) album with a dreamlike atmosphere , also beautifully recorded on 8-track - highly recommended

Revolver and PhantomStranger like this.
  18. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

I just received this today. I'm working on my first listen and it sounds like a cross between The Invisible Invasion and Roots and Echoes. I am really enjoying this.

I was lucky to buy this for $18 shipping in from an Amazon.ca marketplace seller. I do not understand the price for this. The CD is in a paper-thin sleeve and there isn't even a booklet included.

19. Meet the future of CD sales. I don't think the Coral has wide distribution anymore in North America.

20. Neonbeam

Nothing new, sadly:( "Roots & Echoes" was HORRIBLY overpriced when it came out. Something like 30€. Of course after it went out of print quickly I was happy to get a copy for 40;)

21. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

Well, count me out of that! I thought that the old "Import CD" price gouging was a thing of the past.

What happened to the vinyl of this? Amazon is not listing it anymore. I'm not gonna put out $50 for it anyway though.

22. Clarkophile

I just ordered it for $16 from an Amazon seller.

23. Clarkophile

Well, my copy arrived a couple of days ago. Whoever said it's slight package was right. Thin enough to pick a lock.

Musically, I have one question. When I spoke with Ian Skelly about this unreleased project (shortly after the release of his debut solo album, Cut From a Star) he told me that the song 'Cut From a Star', was originally intended to be part of The Curse of Love.
    I was kind of hoping there would be a second, Coral-ized version of the song.

24. Dr-Winston

Dr-Winston Forum Resident

For Coral fans it has been confirmed that they are recording a new album - great news!

deadbirdie and Scope J like this.
  25. Clarkophile

Very cool. Where did you hear this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.