Why do we listen to music?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bemagnus, Aug 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun Thread Starter

Well- this is a difficult question. Historical research shows that music in some form have existed as long as humankind have existed. Recent research shows that music brings stimuli to certain part of the brain. However - recorded music - have only existed for a very brief period of time. Collecting- and owning-music even shorter period. Could it be that collecting is another thing than actually listening and enjoying music. Sound, different masterings and equipment are important issues but...however good the latest remasters sound they never-to me- reproduce the feeling I got hearing the Beatles. Dylan.Kinks, Elvis, the Clash, Otis and all the rest on lowfiversions- often on transistorradio,
    For me personally the listening experience is more about emotions than intellectual experiences. Even when listening to more complex music like classical or jazz.
    Being a bit if of collector I have realised that collecting has less to do with the emotional reward music brings me . It s more an obsession of owning and categorising stuff.
    Would be interesting to hear and share others experiences. What music really brings to us. This might seem strange - but I think that being open to music really has an healing effect.

2. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

I think the ability to create art, visually, in music or by inventing stories is one of the main things that makes us human. Animals do not write, paint or compose.
    Collecting is just an attempt to posess things or getting nearer to the music or the magic we see in it. But in the end we have to find out, that owning 20 different copies of "Dark Side of the moon" doesn't really bring us nearer.

3. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

Brian Eno defines Culture as all the stuff that we don't have to do.
    For example, we have to eat, but we don't actually need 5 star restaurants and fine dining. We have to wear clothes to keep us warm (certainly in the UK!) but we don't need designer gear. We need to use our mouths and ears to communicate and listen, but we don't need choral singing or musical instruments.
    But, all these things are enjoyable to many people, they brighten our day, they make the daily grind of life more bearable, they bring pleasure to ourselves and to other people.

I listen to music because it stirs emotions within me that I wouldn't perhaps otherwise experience. Plus I like the tunes, they make me feel good. I like good lyrics, they make me think, make me sad, or happy. These days, music, via my iPod, can make potentially dull jobs like a long solo drive, or a boring train journey far more bearable. With music I can put in earphones and block out the world, or I can turn it up loud, fill the house with music and drown out the neighbours!

Frank Zappa put it very well -"Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.”

The collecting thing is something else though! For example I have loads of copies of the same album in my collection. My wife doesn't understand why, and if truth be told, I don't either. Not really. Daft isn't it? But so good too!

4. Former Scientist

Former Scientist Now on wheels....

Music changes my state of mind, in a fairly harmless way. Its magical.

Collecting records etc. is something else entirely....collecting genies in bottles. Some of those genies are scratched and filthy and terrible, but every so often you find something truly amazing..... And it makes your day!

mschrist and Coricama like this.
  5. Bemagnus

True- the owning/collecting thing might even distance us from the deeper experiences music brings us. On the other hand- when they release replicas of the older stuff like the Beatles/Kinks monoboxes it brings back memories and feelings from the past. In those cases the collectingthing might strenghten the emotions and once again bring us back to the heart of the musical experience.

6. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

It's an art you can enjoy with your eyes closed.

SwollenGoat and therockman like this.
  7. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

As evolution has estranged humankind from its primeval animalistic roots, we have predominantly become mere creatures of pleasure. Music is one of the ultimate sources of pure, unadulterated pleasure. We listen because we can.

notesofachord likes this.
  8. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

It sounds cool....End of story!:righton:

9. Bemagnus

But music existed in the ancient Times' to-for pleasure, for storytelling, for religon. So if it nowadays mostly is a pleasure it s not always been like that

She is anyway likes this.
  10. Rodney Toady

Very true. We were closer to nature - closer to being animals - back then. Music still served a pragmatic purpose then. It doesn't anymore.

11. Bemagnus

Guess it still do- for example within the context of religon

12. Bemagnus

Hmm.. guess one could discuss religous music without discussing religon . Gospel, gregorian chants, Bach , Dylanor maybe Norman Greenbaums Spirit in the Sky. If anyone remember that great hit.One of the great onehitwonders imo

She is anyway and blackg like this.
  13. Grunherz54

Grunherz54 Forum Resident

1. To change or enhance a mood/state of mind
    2. A sense of permanence in the transitory
    3. Women

goodiesguy and therockman like this.
  14. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

It's debatable if the antient greeks or romans were closer to the animals than we are.

15. Rodney Toady

You've got a point there - so let's say that Greeks were closer to nature and Romans were closer to animals.

But guys, hey, do ignore my inane comments as they seem to derail this interesting thread altogether. Sorry, Bemagnus - didn't mean to. Had I known this, I would have kept quiet.

Bemagnus likes this.
  16. Bemagnus

If music really has a way of creating brain stimuli towards cetrain emotions one can wonder if diferent music creates different emotion. Or maybe one feel like listening to certain music in certain moods. Obviously listening to Anarchy in the UK stir up different feelings than a violin sonata by Mozart.
    When Im listening to classical music I needs to be calm, have plenty of time and sort of focus. Listening to Jerry Lee Lewis or the Clash I can do while being busy with other things.
    One bad thing about the current development of music is that it more and more becomes like a sound furniture - like background to training programme at the gym or so. Dance music is a different things-perhaps dancing is one of the main reasons there is music.

17. Mr Mojo Risin

Mr Mojo Risin “I’ve been falling so long I thought I was flying”

For me music is the ultimate distraction. It helps me mentally get away from the rat race. It takes me away.

18. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Nothing good on the telly,
    makes sense. :)

Bemagnus likes this.
  19. Bemagnus

So true- but on the other hand there were music before telly .

20. Bemagnus

Queston is-where does it take you?

alexpop likes this.
  21. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Takes me to a higher place. :)

22. Bemagnus

Somewhere over the rainbow?

23. Mr Mojo Risin

Mr Mojo Risin “I’ve been falling so long I thought I was flying”

Where ever my mind takes me. Kind of like my avatar....

24. blackg

blackg Forum Resident

I frikkin' love Spirit in the Sky!!! It truly lifts my soul every time that song comes on my phone.
    I have the music player on my phone on permanent shuffle.

25. Bemagnus

Yeah Spirit in the Sky has the same impact on me- it s something truly magic with that record. The uplifting feel I get from listening to that one sure is a reason to listen to music

blackg likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.