George Harrison - The Apple Years Box Set (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark, Aug 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

It was really well done and the camera angle that filmed him straight-on as he moved (almost like a GoPro) were way ahead of its time in 1988.

That style and camera came out about 20 years later.

theMess likes this.
  2. Grunherz54

Grunherz54 Forum Resident

3. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Yikes!! That really is pricey for only 6 albums, with one of them being Electronic Sound. Unless they are selling each of the CDs for more than $20, it will be cheaper to buy all of them individually---which is how it worked with the Dark Horse Years Box Set. Yeah, I know you get the DVD and the box itself, but still....

Arnie

4. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

The individual titles (minus Electronic Sound) are collectively $81. So for $44 more, you get Electronic Sound, a DVD, a booklet and a box.

5. Arnold Grove

Any links to the individual CDs? I couldn't find any. Arnie

6. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

IronWaffle and Arnold Grove like this.
  7. Arnold Grove

8. jordanlolss

jordanlolss Forum Resident

I wonder what the bullmoose price will be

9. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

Yikes prices on Amazon UK too. £88 for the box. Between £15 & £18 for the individual albums. It is completely ridiculous. Germany is getting the best deal as far as I can see on the box but I can't find individual album prices. Happy to buy from Germany if necessary but it really shouldn't be necessary.

10. Millington

Millington Forum Resident

I pre ordered mine from amazon Gemany. Cant see the price coming down from UK. Had several things from Amazon.DE & no hassle.

11. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

Yes, I have used them plenty of times as I am a big fan of a particular German artist and they are always fine.

Millington likes this.
  12. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

I'm waiting for the Japanese edition of Electronic Sound; hoping the OBI will make it sound better.

13. PassionPlay

PassionPlay Forum Resident

Just pre-ordered a couple of these - thanks for the link!

14. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

Yeah the prices seem a bit steep. Although, Amazon Germany has the George box (6CDs/1DVD) for 85 Euros and the Venus And Mars deluxe edition (2CDs/1DVD) for 89.99 Euros! Clearly the George box is a better deal as far as the amount of music goes but there's a lot more paraphernalia in the V&M box. In the words of George, "it's all up to what you value".

15. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

I agree the price is high but what is often overlooked is the additional content of these boxes, especially the books. In this case the book is a hard cover book with (one assumes) new, good quality photos. The production costs cannot be insignificant. The book in the 2010 'Collaborations' box set was one of the best things about the set. A real quality product. Hopefully this will be the case again with the Apple Years book.

16. jricc

jricc Senior Member

17. Arnold Grove

Typo. They had that mistake weeks ago. But when you scroll down on the Box Set Amazon page, it says: "Number of discs: 7".
    And the individual CDs have other typos. For example, the new CD release of Extra Texture is listed as the album "George Harrison"' by the artist "George Harrison"; and the new CD of Dark Horse is listed as "George Harrison" by the artist "Dark Horse".

Arnie

theMess likes this.
  18. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

I can't speak for now, because I'm so far removed from the business. But "back in the day", choosing which songs to release as singles - and in which order - has always fascinated me. And I agree, "This Is Love" should have been the second single. He had just come off a monster hit - the second biggest single of his solo career. It had been a "fun" song, with a video that people were talking about. "This Is Love" has a sound & hook that stays with you - and it was certainly commercial radio-friendly. Initially, the lyric would have been missed by most as they sang along to the chorus - but then....bam! The third verse still gets me to this day!

Had they reversed the order & released "Fab" last, I think he would have had 2 hits in a row - "Fab" would have been bigger - coming on the coattails of 2 big hits.

ralph7109, dewey02 and theMess like this.
  19. Mikkel

Mikkel Forum Resident

Here are the prices for the individual albums at Amazon Germany:
    http://www.amazon.de/s/ref=sr_st_da...:255882,k:george+harrison&sort=date-desc-rank

20. Mikkel

Mikkel Forum Resident

Which German artist? I'm curious ... :)

21. Arnold Grove

So the price for the box set in Germany is a better deal than the USA price. (And the box is priced cheaper than all of the individual CDs in Germany).
    BUT the individual CDs are priced much better in the USA compared to Germany. (And the cost of buying the individual CDs is cheaper than the box in the USA).

Do they do these things on purpose? Or is it just random?

Arnie

22. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Would a region encoded German DVD play on most US players and would book be in English?

23. Raf

Raf Senior Member

Kinda like the way different regions often have different exclusive bonus tracks. Hmmm….

24. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

I'm not sure that you will regard it as very cool Mikkel but it is one of my guilty pleasures. The artist is Nena. I also developed a fondness for Karat in the early 80s and have several of their albums and bits and pieces by Udo Lindenberg and Freiheit too.

25. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

Germany is Region 2, the same as the UK so not unless you have a multi region player. I doubt that the George box will be region encoded though. If it is an exclusive German DVD, the book may be German. I have German Laurel & Hardy DVD. The movie is in English with optional German subtitles but the book is German.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.