Devo "Mongoloid", can't get this out of my head, for days. I need help.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Aug 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

Steve, check out the "EZ Listening" version!

SinnerSaint and goodiesguy like this.
  2. Aghast of Ithaca

Aghast of Ithaca Forum Resident

3. Former Scientist

Former Scientist Now on wheels....

Try playing Barnes and Barnes' Fish Heads...that song drives out all other music, and hangs on you like a terrible pestilence!

Actually, best stick to Mongoloid......which is excellent, after all.

Fish heads, fish heads, roly poly fish heads....arrrrggh!!!!

krisbee, Gumboo and Andrew like this.
  4. stingraex2000

stingraex2000 Forum Resident

Everything is Awesome! if Devo's involved.

5. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

Mongoloid has been stuck in my head for the last 37 years and I love it!

SpudOz and morinix like this.
  6. SomethingAnything

SomethingAnything Forum Resident

When I saw Devo live a few years ago at a local winery, they did a selection of songs from each album, running on and off stage to dress up as per each album sleeve. Sounds weird, but they carried it off. This was before guitarist Bob Casale died. Mongoloid, Jocko Homo and Satisfaction (Can't get me no) were highlights, however most of the audience clearly did not know these early songs and had trouble 'getting them'. They didn't do the albums in chronological order, so these songs came as a real surprise later in the set, possibly even near the end . Simple Minds were the headliners.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  7. Prophetzong

Prophetzong Forum Resident

He wore a hat and he had a job. He brought home the bacon so nobody knew......... ( or something like that. Close enough) . Great song back in the day.

8. Millington

Millington Forum Resident

I have the UK orig 7", Steve. Yes, you are spot on about how catchy this record is. It bounces around in my head too. It is doing the job of what a great song should be. Simple lyrics, catchy rhythm, great beat & bass. The best thing about punk/new wave the songs didnt go on too long. Just like Rock n Roll songs.

Also I find a lot of Talking Heads are the same, cant get them out of my head(excuse the pun). Especially, Life During War Time. I find myself singing this long after I last played the record.
    It maybe nostalgia, but these groups & songs still hold up today. Thanks for sharing .

Former Scientist likes this.
  9. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Love those guys!

10. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

I hung out at the recording session for "Mongoloid", which was recorded at my friend Mark Price's Bushflow Studios. Just imagine hearing it over and over again for hours, and then trying to get it out of your head.

11. Great song, great band. I launched into the 80's watching Devo. Booji Boy said "Happy New Year Mutants"
    [​IMG]

no.nine likes this.
  12. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

at least it was the rocking version and not the eno-iez one.....i don't think he did a great job in producing them

Mylene and goodiesguy like this.
  13. Uther

Uther Forum Resident

Except "Weird" Al, of course.

goodiesguy and Keith V like this.
  14. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I was just listening to their first album at work today, amazing after all these years it's both of a period and timeless all the same, dare I call it "Classic"?

I was fortunate to catch them at the Fonda Theater a few years ago when they performed the entire album following a screening of the complete Booji Boy movie. What a great show, super high energy and fun for all.

And remember, be careful out there, you could always get hit by space junk if you're not paying attention!

15. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I've never seen this. Very good :) all the Devo videos in one. Here's some disturbing stuff http://youtu.be/z7bNSf8dLM4

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  16. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

I've got a good amount of live Devo recordings from their heyday, and this was easily one of their best performances. It's just storming from beginning to end! I think it's the only existing audio evidence of Dove opening their show. Then, you just gotta love the encore of "Gates Of Steel", where Devo announces it as a song by Dove!! (To my knowledge, this show had the premier performance of the song.)

"Auld Lang Syne! What's that mean?! Auld Lang Syne! What's that mean?!" :laugh:

17. SpudOz

SpudOz Forum Resident

I believe that it's a subliminal message from Booji Boy reinforcing in your mind that Devo is criminally overlooked and deserves to be mastered for SACD. Booji also says that the Eno produced Social Fools must be added as a bonus track onto the first album.

Yes, still have my copies of Q?A! in blue, red, green, yellow, white, grey and marble vinyl.

B Stiff French EP on yellow vinyl as well as the Be Stiff UK singles on "piss" and clear vinyl.

As well as the coloured vinyl releases for the 2009/10 reissues and Something for Everybody releases.

18. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

I have the worst time with the original Booji Boy version of Jocko Homo,
    After a crummy day at work dealing with huboons, it's a great song to chill to.

I love fish heads, anything by Abba is a terrible pestilence ;)

Yeah!

Former Scientist and Moshe like this.
  19. Former Scientist

Former Scientist Now on wheels....

....i love it really....! Still sing it every time I eat fish, even after 35 years....

Hamhead likes this.
  20. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I bought the single after reading about it in the old Trouser Press magazine (was it still an expanded newsletter format at that point?).
    I remember playing it (and the flip Jocko Homo) over and over while I am my fellow beer fueled friends jumped around like idiots. I think we invented the Pogo dance that night.

"Happier than you and me". Indeed

21. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Stuck in my head this morning....

22. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

Are we not men? WE ARE DEVO!!

23. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Eno's production ruined the first album. There were bootlegs around of all the songs by the time it came out and it should have been epic but not one fan went away happy.

goodiesguy likes this.
  24. sacsongs

sacsongs Senior Member

At college during the time they arrived on the scene, I remember a group of my "music junkie" friends sitting down to watch SNL the night they were on. It was the most amazing thing we had ever seen. We later saw them in Lawrence, KS the following summer. They were like nothing else at the time.

25. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

Mongloid is my favorite Devo song. Pops into my head at least once a day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.