Kate Bush Live Shows 2014 *Spoiler* Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by theMess, Aug 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

That'd be Newark then :)

theMess likes this.
  2. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

Except that material from Never For Ever and The Dreaming will not have been represented at either run of shows. I would love to have gone to one of these performances and would have been quite happy with what she is performing but my favourite of her albums is The Dreaming and I would have felt entitled to be a little disappointed not to hear any of it. That does not undermine what she is doing but everyone likes to hear at least some of their favourites. I will console myself that I was lucky enough to see her perform Don't Give Up with Peter Gabriel at Earl's Court in 1986.

3. martinb

martinb Senior Member

Not far off, Ollerton. I use Sherwood Forest because it's somewhere people may have actually heard of:).

theMess likes this.
  4. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Ollerton? Ooh, you're the enemy then :) I'm from Edwinstowe... (Hardly east of Nottingham though :) )

theMess and martinb like this.
  5. Cloudbuster

Cloudbuster Forum Resident

Both Egypt and Violin from Never For Ever were performed on her first tour.

sound chaser likes this.
  6. ginchopolis

ginchopolis Forum Resident

There's a bit of a difference there, as what "hits" were there in the PF catalog before DSOTM? (Syd material shouldn't/wouldn't figure in artistically.) And, the concert scene was far different 40 years ago than it is now.

I'd love to see her, but I do think ticket sales might have been a different thing if the shows were originally billed as to what they would include. For example, if Floyd were to return to the stage (before a new album was announced and decades after not touring), they'd sell out immediately. If they only performed material from 1971-1972, what do you think the reaction would be? Sure, you'd get "Echoes" and "One Of These Days" - which the average fan *might* know - but nothing from DSOTM, WYWH, Animals and The Wall would cause a ruckus, I think - except among the die-hard fans.

Granted, Kate is more niche than Pink Floyd, but she had some monster hits in the UK. I think if many people knew she wasn't going to perform anything from the first 4 albums, then more folks who wouldn't mind that could have secured tickets. And, sadly, this feeds into the scalpers, or people who figure that can make some extra money since they're not going to hear songs they want to. Those face value tickets could have sold easily to fans who would be ecstatic to only see "The Ninth Wave."

7. Dr.O'Boogie

Dr.O'Boogie Forum Resident

I still think it was a brilliant, if predictable decision for Kate to offer first choice of tickets to fans who had used her website (even though I hadn't). Most of the fans who'd used that website were fans who'd shown an interest in her later work ( I seem to recall the website appearing at the time of 'Aerial').

I really feel that her most dedicated fans over the years are less likely to have expected a Greatest Hits type show. I do feel sorry for those who are disappointed though and perhaps Kate could have been clearer in her intentions from the outset. IMO though, the title 'Before The Dawn' should have been a clue that she had specific ideas about what she would present.

ConnieGuitar likes this.
  8. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

My mistake. Violin is a personal favourite too but they are not amongst the better known songs from that album and would presumably have been entirely unknown at the time as the album had not been released (or even recorded?) when those shows took place.

9. How many Beatles songs did McCartney play in his 76 tour ?

ConnieGuitar likes this.
  10. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I would still enjoy the show even if it weren't a "Greatest Hits" set although I would still love to hear her perform a 2014 interpretation of "Wuthering Heights."

11. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

12. dunkrag

dunkrag Forum Resident

I'm amazed anyone expected her to perform Wuthering Heights..
    You ain't been following her for the past 30 years if you expected that..

13. theMess

theMess Forum Resident Thread Starter

I started this thread, and I agree with you, the Beatles should not be mentioned here, because they have nothing to do with the show. Still, there was no need to insult Paul; we can still find things to discuss about him in the same way that we can still find things to discuss about Kate.

Anyway, getting back on topic, has anyone seen the whole footage of the first show, which was supposedly recorded and uploaded onto the internet in full by a sneaky fan?

ippudo and PH416156 like this.
  14. Cloudbuster

Cloudbuster Forum Resident

True, they didn't surface on LP until the following year. That leaves only tracks from The Dreaming and The Sensual World to be played live. Well, maybe next time, lol.

15. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

wowowowoo, ooops: uahuahuahuahuah.... "at least I still can see Queen next month" :biglaugh:

16. ginchopolis

ginchopolis Forum Resident

How many post-Beatle chart toppers did Paul have before 1976? And, the fact that he did any Beatles material was a bonus. He played "The Hits". It's not like he only played tracks off Wild Life and "Loup" and didn't do "Silly Love Songs" or "Let 'Em In" or 'Live & Let Die" or "Band On The Run" or "Maybe I'm Amazed" or "Listen To What The Man Said" or "My Love" or (should I stop now?) Not to mention "Yesterday", ""The Long & Winding Road" or "Lady Madonna" aren't exactly "deep cuts."

17. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

Hilarious!

18. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

No way. Most of us are attending the show to see Kate perform , not to hear specific songs. This is likely a one shot event for many of us. Anyone who would pass it up is probably not much of a fan, or would be kicking themselves after the fact.

Do you think many people outside this forum who have read the rave reviews and coverage would be having second thoughts?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
    theMess likes this.
  19. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

That's only two variables. Very narrow.

20. MadFloyd

MadFloyd Forum Resident

Well I'm 10 minutes away from leaving to have dinner with Kate's folks and see the show.

Almost got taken out 2 minutes ago by a car by looking left instead of right when crossing the street. That would have been so ironic.

theMess likes this.
  21. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

If Paul were Kate, he would have opened with Bip Bop and Loup (1st Indian on the Moon), done side two of Wild Life in its entirety, played side two of The Family Way in it's entirety, then closed with Mary Had a Little Lamb and Kreen-Akrore.

Paul P. likes this.
  22. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

I'd like to think one of her mates will show her this. She'll take it in the right spirit, I'm sure.
    "Pass my tuba... I need to practice...". Killer line.

jocke1234 likes this.
  23. Dr.O'Boogie

Dr.O'Boogie Forum Resident

A friend who saw lasts nights show has just texted me "No words Karl! Amazing and spectacular! Unbelievable show! The Ninth Wave is out of this world, it's madness and parts of it are totally off the wall but amazing. I just can't imagine her doing Babooshka now anyway". This Boy (sorry) is looking forward to enjoying what Kate's giving us rather than thinking about what she isn't!

D.B., theMess, edenofflowers and 3 others like this.
  24. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

The premise from the poster is that large numbers of people, with the means and interest in attending the concert, decide against when they learn she will perform Sky of Honey rather than tracks from the 1st three albums. Further, there are not enough other interested fans to purchase these tickets.

I don't buy it.

25. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Senior Member

What's odd about this discussion is that I would so much rather hear her perform "Sky of Honey" (to me, a true career highlight)--not to mention "The Ninth Wave"-- than versions of material from her first three albums, especially given that she would certainly have to rearrange them for her current range (a la Director's Cut). To me, the fact that she has chosen to perform her most ambitious, career-defining works in lieu of the early (and arguably immature) hits just confirms that she remains an artist worthy of the enormous respect she receives. IMHO, she has done this set of shows right (from the attempts to limit scalping and distracting iphone filming to the incredible visual spectacle and carefully chosen setlist), and I wish my work schedule were such that I could have considered taking my chances in the ticket lottery. Rather than being envious of those who are able to attend, though, I have been savoring the descriptions of these concerts, several of which have practically brought tears to my eyes. What an amazing time for us long-time Kate Bush fans--to quote Jon Anderson (of Yes), "These are the days that we will talk about."

blackholesun, tin ears, Ere and 7 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.