Steve Hoffman remastering George Benson's "Breezin'"(1976)album for Audio Fidelity SACD...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lukejosephchung, Jun 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I listened to the surround sound layer twice already, it sounds wonderful.

2. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Just finished listening to the 5.1 mix. Sounds nice. Not a ton of bottom end, but it's a relatively natural sounding 70s pop-jazz recording and the mastering reflects that. The drums sound like drums and not cannons...the bass sounds like a bass, not a synth. But at least the dynamics sound intact to these ears.

The 5.1 mix itself is okay, but far from spectacular. Wetter than the stereo mix. The material doesn't really lend itself to WOW surround mix. Somewhere between "immersive" and "ambient". For those liking discrete surround mixes with stuff coming at you from every direction, you'll be disappointed.

I will also say that this one is definitely not "loud". I had it turned up to what would normally be very loud on my system and it was only moderately loud. Some will probably complain about having to use their volume knob. My guess is that this one sounds better the more you turn it up, but I haven't really cranked it yet.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  3. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I would like them to do bad Benson.

zebop and blutiga like this.
  4. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

What is an Audio Fidelity drone?

5. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

That albums Bad with a capital B :D

6. Elton

Elton I Hope Being Helpful, Will Make Me Look Cool

I got my discs yesterday and I have been playing them ever since. The Butterfield disc has that "Fly On the Wall" feeling. I played the disc twice because it took most of the fist listen to read the liner note included with the 5.1 mix by Al Kooper, a great story. The George Benson disc was warm, open and detailed sound, from the tambourine, on Breezin' and strings Affirmation, brought me back to the 70's, when George Benson was a guitar that sings.

7. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

This is an exclusive new, extra cost delivery service from Audio Fidelity. Seriously, this is my "description" of the fast delivery of releases purchased directly from AF.

Bob

therockman likes this.
  8. therockman

I am a subscriber and I did not receive a new Butterfield disc, although I know that one is planned. If they do as good of a job with the next Butterfield disc as they did with East-West then I will be very happy. I wonder how you got the Butterfield disc, all I got was Super Session (Bloomfield) and Breezin'.

9. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

I saw Benson at the Winterpark (Colorado) Jazz Fest in July and he sounded great. The guy has really taken care of his voice, which still sounds fantastic and very supple and strong.

10. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

I hope George comes to Vegas, I would like to see him.. my Dad got me into George Benson..

11. Elton

Elton I Hope Being Helpful, Will Make Me Look Cool

My mistake typing... Your right!... Calm Down! :chill: It was the Bloomfiled disc (Super Session). I described the packaging, so you knew that! Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  12. therockman

I know, I was just messing with you. I hope everything is cool. But we are expecting a new Paul Butterfield disc, and I am excited about it. :wave:

RiRiIII likes this.
  13. KeithH

Has anyone compared the Audio Fidelity Breezin' SACD to the DVD-Audio disc in stereo?

14. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

or the recent japanese SHM-SACD?

SteelyTom likes this.
  15. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

I have now listened to the Redbook layer on (3) different stereo systems including my vehicle. I really like Steve's mastering of the stereo mix. The more you increase the volume, the better his mastering sounds. One quality that is especially striking about Steve's mastering on this set is the sound of the piano which is very life like on this recording. Highly recommended!

16. Did anybody get their (pre-)orders from Amazon yet? They should have it in stock soon.

17. KeithH

Assuming you are asking about amazon.com, not yet. They are still showing a "guaranteed" delivery date of September 2nd for Breezin', but they show a release date September 9th for Super Session. They still do not have a delivery date for Super Session.

18. thib

thib Forum Resident

There is a 2 channel SACD layer on this one, right?

19. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Yes definitely! Mastered by Steve.

20. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Recent? It came out in 2011.

21. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

And that makes it old? In the SACD world it is recent indeed. For me it's yesterday.

22. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

I will be buying this Sacd of Benson for Steve's Mastering for the stereo sacd layer and the 5.1 will be a nice little extra , glad to hear Steve's stereo layer sounds great !!

23. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

Amazon order tracking shows that my SACD is out for delivery today (8/31). Impressive, not only because it's Sunday and a holiday weekend but also because it's listed with a 9/2 release/delivery date and still shows as a pre-order on the Amazon product page! :righton:

24. KeithH

That is a surprise. Nice! My copy is listed as "Shipping now", with delivery guaranteed by 8 p.m. on September 2nd.

25. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

"Your package was delivered
    Please check your mailbox."

I think I'll do just that!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.