"The Leftovers" (HBO series)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Jun 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maxnix

maxnix Forum Resident

Totally agree! Her performance was one of the best things I've seen on TV this year.

2. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

The show has just gotten a one week reprieve from me.

3. rjp

rjp Senior Member

let's hope that, and i say this because i remember how it happened often in 'lost;, she doesn't go away for 3 or 4 weeks while they develop a stryline for other characters.

4. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

5. marcb likes this.
  6. agentalbert

Loved Nora's method for dealing with the GR camped out in front of her house.

7. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Here is an interesting theory I read on one of the HBO boards:

2% of the population didn't go missing, the 98% we're watching did. The Nat Geo book mention's stories of mass extinction, 98% gone would certainly qualify. Just like with "LOST", I don't think these people are actually dead, they've simply "shifted" (dimensional theory) or are in a sort of comatose state. A Coma dream, and being able to hear people speaking to you (like with the Chief's Father) are only common in medically induced coma's or, possibly a chemically induced coma brought on by those seeking to clear out population??
    It could explain the GR, they dress like patient's in a Hospital, understand that their current consciousness isn't worth worrying about, lack of communication, etc.. They're presence is explaining what happen.

8. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

9. Here's the storytelling problem with that. If you're going to say that the 2% are still "here" and the rest shifted why did cars crash, planes crash, etc. that those two percent were driving/piloting? Seems the opposite is more likely. Either way, I unless the
    producers plan to "depart" significantly from the novel, we don't get an answer.

10. Wow. Excellent episode. None of this that I recall (except the reveal as to who killed Gladys) was in the book.

11. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

The director of this past episode (Michelle Mc Claren) also directed a few "Breaking Bad"'s!

12. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

Best show on TV right now with The Knick coming in second. That's not very high praise considering the competition but it really is excellent.

13. vince

jon9091, stereoptic and rob303 like this.
  14. agentalbert

Interesting idea. I'm not going to take a position on it because its not important to me to figure everything out about this series. But I absolutely agree with the final line of that article.

"What is clear is that Lindelof is ****ing with us, and I absolutely love it."

Last nights episode was revealing. Man, the mind**** of having a baby taken from out of your belly. Can you imagine what a mother would experience if she were much farther along the pregnancy to the point where her belly was swollen and she could feel the baby and then it was just gone? Or I wonder if it was possible for the mother to be "taken" leaving a fetus? Yech. Lotsa nasty possibilities. And Kevin certainly underwent a cosmic screwjob having the woman he was putting it to disappear right in the middle. I've seen it suggested that the people who disappeared were people who someone was wishing they were gone or would vanish or didn't exist right at that moment. It works for some. Laurie certainly could have been wishing she wasn't pregnant. And Nora was frustrated with her kids (and her husband) at the time of the departure. The woman with the baby in the carseat who we saw at the very beggning of the show and who pulled up alongside Laurie in this episode was dealing with a crying baby. I don't think Kevin was wishing the woman he was having sex with away, but maybe she was wished away by someone else? Same with the people holding hands with Tommy and Jill. There's no reason to think the others in the circle were wishing them away, but that could have come from elsewhere. But I don't know if that is the answer. And I don't think it important that the WHY or HOW is ever explicitly stated. I'm loving the series. I'd day can't wait for next week, but HBO is taking a week off and making us wait two weeks for the finale. :mad:

15. vince

uh..... spoilers, dude....... for the, like, three of us who are watching it, right?

16. F_C_FRANKLIN

F_C_FRANKLIN Forum Resident

Yeah, my 2 favorite shows at the moment are the *much* improved "Hell on Wheels", and "The Leftovers". That "flashback" episode on "The Leftovers" was astonishingly good. One thing about "Lost" at it best, that this series has finally begun to develop: really great, special, thought provoking episodes, that 'godsmack' you upside the head, rip your heart out, and leave you wanting more and more. The show was a 'slow burn' (almost too slow at first), but it was worth having patience; now it's starting to payoff.

17. stereoptic

I plan to use the two week delay to re-watch all of the episodes again. Ther ewas a brief flash of Kevin's fling in an earlier episode, and I thought that I recognized Kevin's son biological father in another episode?

18. agentalbert

The brief flash of Kevin's fling is at the end of the pilot when Kevin is talking to the woman whose baby disappeared out of the back of her car. Tommy's father previously appeared in a photograph of Tommy, Laurie and the dad, but I don't remember him appearing as a live person.

stereoptic likes this.
  19. stereoptic

Thanks for that!

20. stereoptic

Anyone want to guess who mastered the version of Jody Reynolds' The Girl from King Marie that Kevin was listening to when he was jogging? :laugh:

"Lightning flashed across the sky
    When I opened up my eyes
    She was gone, the Girl from King Marie"

21. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

Well, that's it for season 1. A strange, surreal series that I found totally immersive. Not for everyone but very much for me.

GentleSenator likes this.
  22. agentalbert

Me too. Very much looking forward to season 2.

23. vince

Sure is a 'head-scratcher'! Like "LOST", I'll have to watch them all again. Sadly, I still don't care enough about these characters. I'm not really 'rooting' for any one.
    If anything, I'm rooting for Damon to pull all this together, in a satisfying way.

24. michaelscrutchin

michaelscrutchin Forum Resident

I don't think we're supposed to be rooting for anyone necessarily.

I will say, though, that I really feel for Carrie Coon's character, Nora, especially since her spotlight episode (still maybe the best episode of the season), and she had the most unforgettable, haunting scene in the finale for me (no spoilers) -- a moment both horrifying and heartbreaking that I haven't been able to shake.

GentleSenator likes this.
  25. agentalbert

Yeah, she's become my favorite character. I hope she's a part of season 2 in some capacity. It would be a shame to lose her.

Blair G. likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.