10cc "Ten Out of 10" Reissued?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by muzik_guy, Aug 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Really??? Hmm. I love Windows In The Jungle. Kind of a 'dark' album for them. Especially Side One. Side Two picks the mood up a bit but it's still kind of 'dark'....at least in my opinion. I love the last song, 'Taxi, Taxi'.

For what my humble opinion might be worth, and despite 'Mirror, Mirror', I consider 'Meanwhile....' to be the 'last' 10cc album. It's a great note on which to bow out.

'Mirror, Mirror', as has been stated by you, me, Gouldman and just about everyone else, is two halves of two solo albums. Not quite the group effort of 'Meanwhile' that even has cameos by Godley and Creme.

I guess that 'Mirror, Mirror' while not horrible, was basically a cash grab.

wayneklein likes this.
  2. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister

I think that sales ranking for both albums is surprisingly high. It indeed shows that lots of people have been on the lookout for these. To many music lovers, these albums are not essential 10cc listening, but people regard them well enough to have a CD copy available for a reasonable price. I have the impression that both albums are regarded just a notch above its predecessor Look hear, but that might just be my personal preference getting in the way of a somewhat objective view.

This morning I received a note that Wow HD (formerly CD Wow) is shipping the discs. I am curious how these will turn out, although I agree with other posters that these probably are just clones of the 2006 Japanese issues. And no die-cut sleeve for Windows in the jungle, that's for sure.

3. Actually Ten Out of 10 was fairly well reviewed at the time particularly after Look Hear and, despite some production touches that make it sound more of its time, is closer to Bloody Tourist as to how it is regarded. Windows in the Jungle, because it lacks the characteristic humor of 10cc, is often seen as a cut above Look Hear. Although it doesn't have the immediate hooks of its predecessor (Overdraft In Overdrive and Don't Ask are real highlights of Ten Out of 10 IMHO), I think its a pretty brave departure for the band at a time when their popularity was at an all time low.

I think Ten Out of 10 is an underrated album (uneven to be sure) and even Windows has its moments but both are way above Look Hear which I consider the nadir of the band except for two tracks.

4. muzik_guy

muzik_guy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Not a big fan of Windows. The cold production leaves me underwhelmed & the whole thing seems to lack vibrancy & energy. "Working Girls" & "City Lights" might be the exceptions. I enjoy about half of Ten. Much better songwriting. I still thinks it's a bit more M.O.R. than it needs to be but a few of the US tracks add a little something to the record. Either way, it's 10cc & I'll be snagging these when they're released next month. I sold my original CDs away while I was accumulating upgraded 10cc remasters & never got around to getting these two before they went out-of-print. I pray these are standard jewel case issues. I despise digipaks.

5. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i am a much bigger fan of the andrew gold version of 'ten out of 10'than the version without him.

6. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Confession: I'm a big fan of Look Hear. And I'm in the minority, I know. I like the songs and since I like Rick Fenn's work, this is a fine CD to own (he even does a lead vocal). Pity my original CD sounds so hissy, but I understand that there's a better version on Cherry Red. I'll grab that soon. Never been a big fan of Ten and Windows for some reason.

rstamberg likes this.
  7. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I'm a LOOK HEAR? fan as well ...

8. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Got them today from Amazon UK. They are in jewel boxes. Skipped quickly through few tracks: From memory Ten sounds like old Japanese CD. Not important, but the Ten disk is painted most horrible color: something between yellow, pink and orange, with yellow lettering.

9. muzik_guy

muzik_guy Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm not a huge fan of Look Hear? but I don't quite share the disdain that most other 10cc fans have for it. I dig "One Two Five", "How Am I Ever Gonna Say Goodbye?", "Dressed To Kill" & "L.A. Inflatable". The outtake "Only Child" isn't too bad either. Much better than "Mirror Mirror" & on par with "Windows In The Jungle" IMHO.

10. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister

A reviewer at Amazon.co.uk states this: "Unfortunately someone made a mistake with the running order, so Notell Hotel is out of place (follows Lying Here with You here when it should, as listed, follow Memories - originally at the end of side one of the original vinyl version)."
    I understand that the correct order of the tracklist is on the back, but that the actual running order on the disc is slightly different. Is he right? Strange that they would do this. Could this mean that this new release has a unique mastering after all?

11. rjp

rjp Senior Member

both arrived today from england (less than a week to get here from the time i got a shipping notice)

both in jewel boxes!

12. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

Have just listened to it and that is correct. And to make matters worse, ITunes is very confused by the error and mis names 5 songs. I have just had to restore order! It all sounds very good to me. A patchy album but with some good songs. I actually prefer the trilogy from Look Hear to Windows over Bloody Tourists, just to offer a different point of view. Look Hear has its problems but the opening two tracks are great.

13. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I doubt there was much cash to grab with MIRROR MIRROR.

Hawkman likes this.
  14. The key to Windows is two words: Steely Dan. Stewart and a Goldman were big fans and the Dan's music shows a strong influence on this album all aspects just as, later, they worked with Gary Katz (SD producer) on Meanwhile.

rstamberg likes this.
  15. The $ £ question: how's the mastering and who is credited?

16. Ok, who is credited as having mastered it and how does it sound?

17. Which old Japanese mastering? The original Green Arrow or the Remastered CD?

18. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

I am not sure. The one with 7 bonus track. They sound loud to me, but listenable.

19. The Green Arrow was an early Japanese mastering that didn't have any bonus tracks and, although it sounded like it was from an inferior source, it was pretty dynamic as I recall.

If its loud, it sounds like it might be sourced from the same mastering as the 2006Japanese remaster.

20. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

I am pretty sure it is 2006.

21. Thanks.

Too bad but hey at least it's available again.

22. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Yep, they were hard to get.

23. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

BTW, I like a few songs from Windows ( had never heard it before), some mediocre stuff there as well, but I have a soft spot for 10cc, so overall it is OK.

24. DrAftershave

DrAftershave A Wizard, A True Star

My copy of Ten Out Of 10 also arrived from England on Thursday. It sure was jarring to hear those tracks out of order than the way they should be, but I really can't complain because I finally now have every released album by 10cc on CD.

25. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

As I say, it sounds great to me. Deep full sound. Not at all brittle or tiring to listen to. But everyone's standards are different and I do have chronic tinnitus so everything I listen to has to break through that!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.