Kiss 2014 Vinyl Reissues (Pt4)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jul 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

So MFIT for HITS instead of the vinyl? I wonder which would be better?

2. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

So...finally got around to ordering Alive! from Amazon as I got a gift card recently.

Just got the package delivered and they sent a Euro pressing. Should I be okay with this, or is the US pressing superior?

3. robtodd

robtodd Forum Resident

Got my EU copy this morning. Noisy vinyl for sure. I picked up an old copy secondhand a month back. The new one sounds better, more bass and definition, but definitely gives the old one a run for its money for random snap crackle and pop.

johnny q and Clanceman like this.
  4. robtodd

robtodd Forum Resident

Alive! EU pressing is fantastic.

5. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I picked up Rock and Roll Over this morning for $23.72 (taxes included) at Sunrise Records, 40% discount in effect for all vinyl. The HMV price is $24.99 + 13% HST.

6. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I'm not a big fan of downloads but the Mastered For iTunes HITS is fantastic...

7. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

The 2014 mastering of Rock n Roll Over reminds me a lot of Dressed to Kill 2014, the bottom end is noticeably punched up a db or two and it sounds much fuller than the 97 CD remaster. Overall the pressing is excellent, surface noise is a non-factor on my copy.

24voltsdc and Clanceman like this.
  8. Vinyl Fan 1973

Really? Well, do you think the samples don't do the actual download justice? How are you listening back? Through a stereo system or ear buds?

I think I'll try it just on your recommendation, I trust what you have to say.

4stringking73 and Clanceman like this.
  9. Vinyl Fan 1973

The remaining two I'm buying Monday morning is RARO, and when Crazy Nights comes out. I'm still on the fence with COS.

4stringking73 and Clanceman like this.
  10. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I don't use earbuds...I use headphones...

I'm hopeful that these new remasters will see the light of day on CD (but keep in mind no official announcement has been made), but since HITS was in such bad shape I took a chance on the iTunes version, and for me, it was night and day...

4stringking73 and Vinyl Fan 1973 like this.
  11. Vinyl Fan 1973

Thanks, I'll download in about an hour and report back. I listen through Sony cans, and I have my IPod plugged direct into my amp, which happens to improve the sound of the MP3's a little.

24voltsdc and Clanceman like this.
  12. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Thanks...but is the US pressing more fantastic?

13. Vinyl Fan 1973

Could the 1997 remaster of Creatures really be improved upon? I'm listening to the CD now (I haven't played this in about 8 years, as I usually play my original LP copy) and does this ever sound good. The placement of the instruments is perfect, the bass is up just enough and the drums sound awesome. It's nice to hear it noise free as my original LP although in great shape, is a tad noisy. Man I'm enjoying this, and I think this will be my go to copy for now on. I also have the original Polygram CD of the 1985 reissue, and that sounds good to. I actually enjoy that reissue.

4stringking73 and Curveboy like this.
  14. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

We have had some comparisons earlier in one of these threads and the consensus is that the US pressing is better. It is cut louder. If I were spending my money I would go with the US pressing

15. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Thanks, I am gonna send it back.

16. drapes

drapes Forum Resident

After decades of listening to vinyl I finally bought a record-cleaner. The cerimonial first slab through my Spin-Clean was the 2014 Rock And Roll Over; the second: the copy I got for my tenth birthday in 1980!

What a record! Lots of sentiment involved of course but in my opinion their best studio effort.

They both sound great - the new one a little brighter but a little unfair maybe because the old one got a pretty serious beatdown from a Radio Shack record player for years.

Only waiting now for the Ace solo record now to get all the reissues I'm going to get.

4stringking73 likes this.
  17. rock76

rock76 Forum Resident

Look for the original Japanese CD part of the Burrnin' Colection. IMO, it's the best CD pressing of COTN (with the 1982 mix)

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  18. tonyzz

tonyzz Well-Known Member

The japanese cd of COTN sounds great.

rock76 and LongPlay33 like this.
  19. batman144144

batman144144 Nocturnal crime fighter/audio enthusiast.

The owner should be able to send it back to his supplier and get a new copy for you. Coincidentally, I also paid about $40/ea. for these when the first wave came out in an effort to support my local shop. However, since then I've been buying online.

20. batman144144

It's the strangest thing. I picked up that album back in the day when it was new, and I cannot for the life of me remember that sticker. I remember all the other extras for the other albums, but not that one...

21. batman144144

Yeah, my EU is great as well. (I have not compared it to a US copy.) However, as you have already seen, a lot of people would tell you they prefer US pressings. The US versions are the only ones manufactured to audiophile standards (and sold at audiophile prices). That being said, I have a fair cross section of US, EU, and German pressings. To my ears, they are pretty much equivalent. If someone put a gun to my head and forced me to pick the best, I think I would actually pick the German pressings, but not by much.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  22. 24voltsdc

24voltsdc Forum Resident

I was in grade school when RARO came out. That sticker was on everything. Notebooks, pencil boxes, stuck on lockers, just about anything you can think of. That's why it's hard to find an original lp with sticker in tact.

23. Mij Retrac

Suppliers no longer allow returns on vinyl unfortunately so the mom and pop shops are the ones that suffer the most.

24. Mij Retrac

They are all the same master of course but the biggest difference is how the vinyl master is cut. One thing I noticed especially on Love Gun (since I own an EU and US copy myself) is that one, because they cut it at a lower level it is easier to pick up on any surface noise and crackles and pops. Two, they also seem to roll off the frequencies above 20-22k much, much harder in the EU copy. For most people this wouldn't matter but on a really nice system set up really well this will be something that is noticed. It would be very subtle however.

25. TyphoonTip

TyphoonTip Forum Resident

I just purchased Love Gun (EU press) and Destroyer (US press). My virgin KISS vinyl!
    Love Gun sounds fantastic. Meaty in the middle; filled out at the bottom without being muddy; and just enough detail at the top to make everything work.
    However, my US Destroyer seems to have a vastly different mastering approach. While having a solid bottom end, the mids are a little thin, and the top end is more than occasionally a little shrill/harsh.
    My question is for anyone with the 2014 EU Destroyer vinyl; how does it sound? Does my lightning quick and dangerously simplistic description ring true? If it happens to sound more like my EU Love Gun, then I'll happily seek it out.
    Cheers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.