Neil Young - "Storytone" (2014)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vertigone, Aug 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomd

tomd Senior Member

For the love of god-bring on the old albums!

Brother Maynard and Muggles like this.
  2. Peter Pyle

Peter Pyle Forum Resident

When's the pre-order? I'm already in. Love Neil!!

3. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

I'd like to have more archival live releases - really enjoying neil's material on CSNY 74.

qtrules and JoeF. like this.
  4. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I was actually expecting an archival release before Christmas until I heard about Storytone.

5. Jgirar01

Jgirar01 Forum Resident

I would consider Neil my favorite musician and so I can take some lunkers. I have to agree with the thought that he is putting out tons of what I consider relevant music rather than a record every 6-7 years like say the Stones. I like 80 percent of it. ALH is ok, I like the Gordon Lightfoot song and I like Needle of Death. Still, this one makes me nervous, I hope this isn't a going mainstream pop album.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  6. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

[QUOTE="Jgirar01, post: 10992254, member: I hope this isn't a going mainstream pop album.[/QUOTE]
    This should be great from Neil, expecially if composed of new songs.

7. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Well that's good to know. One mic to record an orchestra? GEEZ

Heart of Gold likes this.
  8. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident Thread Starter

I know it's an older song, but "Hitchhiker" from Le Noise is great. I don't care much for Fork in the Road. "Light a Candle" is pretty nice, with some great pedal steel from Ben Keith. My favorite from those sessions, "Get Around", didn't make the album but I was lucky to see it the only time it was performed live. Here's the studio version.

Graham, dajokr, LunarTunes and 3 others like this.
  9. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

It might be a good opportunity to record something like "No One Seems To Know". A lot of Neil's songs could work well with orchestral arrangements. Joni Mitchell's Travelogue impressed me with what was possible. But I'm assuming whatever Neil does won't be re-working old songs, unless they have yet to be released.

Heart of Gold likes this.
  10. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

That sounds like a song and recording from the 70s, one of the best things he's done since Harvest Moon. Thanks!

11. Soul Music Fan

Soul Music Fan Forum Resident

Another vote for 'Light A Candle' the only keeper for me from Fork In the Road.

klaatuhf, highway and Carserguev like this.
  12. See, isn't it frustrating, though? I'm not knocking Neil, because me, being a big Prince fan, I've learned to be at peace with an artist who doesn't know what the best songs need to be on their albums. That's how Prince and Neil are exactly alike. I know of no other artist, other than Dylan, maybe, who has such a large vault of some of their best stuff held back for some kooky reason. And of course you only find out later that the pertinent album had a few songs recorded during the sessions that could have elevated the album to greater heights, only if the artist had had the foresight to include the best possible session songs. I have no clue what's up with those two dudes.

Yorick likes this.
  13. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector

Neil adds a whole new level of frustration, though -- announcing projects, announcing their postponement, then cancelling with or without announcing. The awesome 'Get Around' track above was supposed to be released as a bonus track on the Bluray of the same name. Now I'll admit I may not miss Neil driving around in LincVolt listening to the Fork in the Road album (which what 'Get Around' was supposed to be), but it's just another example of Neil being Neil (see current thread on the Official Release Series Vol. 2).

14. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I actually recorded my band rehearsals sometimes using juts one overhead pressure zone mic (two guitars, bass and drums) As long as the drummer laid off the cymbals it was a balanced recording, everything heard pretty well, as good as a very, very good audience boot. I believe some symphony orchestra recordings only use one or two mics, as that is actually the best way to capture the field of sound.

15. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

Was Get Around an itunes bonus or something? I have it, just as an mp3 but i can't recall how or where I got it. P did put it onto a cdr I made for the car of Fork in the Road - definitely a strong track and is a nice boost to the album.

16. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

"A Man Needs a Mermaid".

17. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector

I am by no means an expert, but I thought it had not been released officially.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  18. goombay

goombay Forum Resident

hes not going to sing along with the orchestra using the same couple of mics. use a couple of mics to record the orchestra and sing on a separate vocal mic, or overdub the vocal later. dylan has been doing that in last few records.

19. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

i think it was on one of the lincvolt videos?

JoeRockhead likes this.
  20. Muggles

Muggles Forum Resident

Out on the ocean floor
    Out on the ocean floor
    What can be stranger than the unknown danger
    That lies on the ocean floor

sirwallacerock likes this.
  21. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

So I guess this means the RSD box gets delayed again now?

22. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

They'll be used as roof tiles on another barn.

Yorick and jumpinjulian like this.
  23. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]

24. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Nothing Neil does surprises me. More power to him, doing whatever moves him. This does not appear to be to my tastes so I'll pass.

I am mostly only a "CrazyHorse-ish garage band amps to 11" type Neil fan but can accept him heading for the ditch with this one in the hopes of another ragged glory type Neil outing once he gets back in the mood for that.

I expect him to make a RAP album after this one though.

25. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

What happened to the Alchemy release? Trunk Show? Toast? For the love of a God bring on Time Fades Away.

Nurse Ratched where are my pills?????

Brother Maynard and Complier like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.