Devo "Mongoloid", can't get this out of my head, for days. I need help.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Aug 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dirtymac

dirtymac Forum Resident

I can related! That tune does have the potential to get in the ear, penetrate the brain and start breeding or somethin'.

About 5-6 years ago it happened to me. Listened to the song several times & thought about it frequently in between. Started singing the chorus regularly. At one point my three year-old pleaded in annoyance and desperation: "Daddy! No more mongoloid!"

Keith V likes this.
  2. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I did not know that. Interesting

3. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Consider yourself lucky, the song stuck in my head is "Chanson D'Amour", and I don't even like it.

4. Deano6

Deano6 Forum Resident

This song haunted me the other day. Very infectious.

5. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

disturbing....

6. athensdrums

athensdrums Forum Resident

The first song my first band learned, back in 8th grade. Ah, memories.

T'mershi Duween and morinix like this.
  7. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

I agree. The Stiff versions of things like Satisfaction have a groove which is missing on the Eno recordings.

goodiesguy, Hamhead and Summerisle like this.
  8. Summerisle

Summerisle Forum Resident

Mongoloid forEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Mongoloid forEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Mongoloid forEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Mongoloid forEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Mongoloid forEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Mongoloid forEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Mongoloid forEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Mongoloid forEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Mongoloid forEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Mongoloid forEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Mongoloid forEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Mongoloid forEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Mongoloid forEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Mongoloid forEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Mongoloid forEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Mongoloid forEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Mongoloid forEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Mongoloid forEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Mongoloid forEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Mongoloid forEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Mongoloid forEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Mongoloid forEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Mongoloid forEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Mongoloid forEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Mongoloid forEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Mongoloid forEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Mongoloid forEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Mongoloid forEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Mongoloid forEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Mongoloid forEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hamhead likes this.
  9. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Until this thread, the Eno version was the only one I had ever heard .
    Is there a release that has the earlier versions available ?

10. Lloyd

Lloyd Forum Resident

We played Mongoloid on the jukebox yesterday during happy hour. My favorite Devo. Given the time difference, probably really close to the original posting here.

11. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

12. stereoptic

Completely different performances. Jocko Homo is missing the riddle in the middle on the Eno produced album.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  13. jpgarry1

jpgarry1 Forum Resident

Happier than you and me! Great song, great band. This song was great live!

14. stingraex2000

stingraex2000 Forum Resident

Thinking about this post, maybe overthinking....but I sure hope Mongoloid got stuck in Steve's head while he was mastering it for SACD!

15. aoxomoxoa

Everytime I see this thread pop up, it gets stuck in my head.

16. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

This one just came on the iPod in the car today (original version, of course). My wife just rolled her eyes. It's a song I ALWAYS stop at when shuffling and it annoys her.

17. duggan

duggan Senior Member

Thanks goodness we do not use the term "mongoloid" these days.

In the 70s there was very poor acceptance/ understanding of Down Syndrome people and the term "Mongol" was typically used in a negative context.

I'm sure that Devo meant well by releasing this record but unfortunately many in society were not so enlightened.

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  18. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I'm sure Devo didn't mean well at all.

19. aoxomoxoa

20. I met this girl once who told me she was J Casale's girlfriend while they were recording Duty Now. She told me they all lived in some two story house together. They were completely childish practical jokers. After about a year she had had it with them and just packed up and left, unannounced, while they were away at the studio.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  21. Logan S

Logan S Forum Resident

22. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

I am also afflicted.

23. duggan

duggan Senior Member

Sad.

24. stereoptic

Sorry, I haven't heard the Hardcore compilation.

25. SpudOz

SpudOz Forum Resident

While I have no doubt that the song was (deliberately) intended to be both confrontational and controversial like a lot of Devo's early work - hardly surprising given the punk attitude of the time, Mongoloid has always been explained by the band in a positive light, not as an insult or a put down of those with Down Syndrome. They have always been at pains to pint out that despite "having one chromosome too many", the subject of the song does what any common spud does: "and he wore a hat, and he had a job, and he brought home the bacon, so that no-one knew" making him no different to the everyday worker drone. "His friends were unaware" and "nobody even cared" reinforce that the subject is nothing more than a normal member of society despite his affliction, not because of it and he is viewed in the same light as all of his peers. Nowhere in the lyrics is the subject seen in derision, looked down upon or made fun of.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.