Price watch - Bob Dylan and The Band Complete Basement Tapes

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by gottafeelin, Aug 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Maybe all the stop me ! stop me ! posts, followed by Look what I just got, followed by a big FS thread in the classifieds ? :laugh:

I'm not paying a penny over $75. for 6 CDs, and if I never get that, somehow I think I'll survive. :tiphat:

2. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I guess that snarky comment was directed at me?
    Not sure why the things I sell in the classifieds bother you so much, but you have commented on it on the past so I feel it's my right to say that for the most part, what I sell is my business. Usually I have a sale to thin down the herd. I can only think of a small handfull of items I have sold in the past that I miss. My collection is pretty big .

I make jokes about my spending but fact is, I have it well under control.
    Glad you are concerned though. It's nice to know someone cares.

3. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I also plan on selling some of my "not played in some time" items in the future to fund some of the "must haves" that are on the horizon like the Basement Tapes. Why use your own cash exclusively if you have items gathering dust that may be enjoyed by others here or on EBay.

The bottom line is that a lot of people are thrilled this Dylan set is coming out, let's hope we all get it for a decent price.

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  4. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident Thread Starter

I just went through "A Tree With Roots" today to see if I actually liked enough of the tracks to justify buying the big set. [Un]fortunately, I do. Now, can I justify the cost.... Not yet, but I'm getting there. ;)

5. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Aoxomoxoa, you don't have to explain yourself to anybody! All that is your business and nobody else's. Just make sure you enjoy the hobby and the music, that's the most important part!
    the beave

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  6. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

7. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident Thread Starter

8. Myke

No, there was only a $5.00 difference then, I was here.

9. Myke

I was just squeezing your shoes Fozzy Bear. I do the exact same thing, when I take a duffel bag full of DVDs and VHS tapes to Buy Backs, to make room at home, for more Blu rays. :tiphat:
    I understand how these recordings mean a lot more to others than they do to me, I just can't spend $25. per CD for this, yet if it were Duane, or Ronnie related, I'd have pre ordered already.

10. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Down by almost a tenner to £101.99 on Amazon UK now. Still overpriced.

Myke likes this.
  11. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

I wait and hope on a better offer. I have all the time.

12. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Anyone have experience with Amazon.ca's ability to receive and ship out their inventory of new releases reasonably close to release day?

I have only a single experience with Amazon.ca and music pre-orders, but it does give me reason to pause and wonder whether it's worth a lengthy delay just to get the deluxe box at that low price...

I pre-ordered the 19CD John Mellencamp box set from Amazon.ca way back in January, and even though the original release date was end of January (IIRC), Amazon.ca kept posting a new shipping delay until the box finally shipped ... in late July!

I documented the various delays in this thread: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/19-cd-mellencamp-collection-for-under-80-on-amazon-ca.340824/
    (especially check out my posts #10, 12, 14, 15, and 16)

Should I expect a similar delay for this Bob Dylan box set to be shipped from Amazon.ca, or do they typically/reliably ship out major new releases such as this one no later than release day?

Craig.

13. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

I've never had an issue and I believe the Mellencamp release was unique and due to factors outside of amazon.ca's control. I could be wrong but I have received at least a dozen orders within a week of release.

14. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Thanks for the reassurance!

Mr. H likes this.
  15. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

It's all good Mike. I was in grouch mode as I had a rough stretch at work .
    I will say that at $25 a disc, this is steep. I plan in shopping around.
    This stuff does mean a lot to me. I can remember "discovering" the basement tapes in my twenties. I envy those who will be hearing them for the first time.
    If all you have heard of these recordings is what is on the '75 album, you are in for quite a treat.

Myke likes this.
  16. Myke

I love the MFSL SACD for sure. More of that has to be good.

17. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

Somehow that site doesn't seem to show all price fluctuations, even when manually triggering a refresh. I still see the UK price as GBP 110 (is GBP 102 now, making the UK shop not the most expensive anymore as that is now Japan). And the price of the German Amazon shop has decreased to €100. Still expensive, but tempting (and currently the cheapest option when you're in Europe).

18. Moth

Moth fluttering by

It's also worth noting that it's being released in Germany four days earlier than everywhere else.

19. Myke

I'd be surprised if Bull Moose doesn't have a good price eventually.

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  20. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

As of today, the 6 cd set at amazon.ca (Canada) is:
    149.98 Canadian Dollars
    equals 137.24 US Dollars

21. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

International buyers will need an alternate supplier so I am hoping more than one outfit comes through.

22. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

23. Jack

Jack Senior Member

24. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Graham likes this.
  25. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Thanks. I've kept my Amazon UK order in, but also ordered it from Amazon.de. Plenty of time to cancel whichever is the more expensive by late October.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.