Xanadu soundtrack on CD (pt2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Oct 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David G.

David G. Forum Resident

EDIT: Never mind, we quickly figured this out. It may still be interesting for people to see the OBI, though, so I'll leave it up.

I have a question about the Japanese Xanadu soundtrack -- I apologize if this has been discussed before; I couldn't find the answer when I did a search.

I have the Japanese version of the soundtrack (WORLDS better than the U.S. version, by the way), and the OBI strip that came with it is very strange. It lists 17 tracks, most of which are ELO. As I don't read Japanese, I have no idea what it says. Does anyone know, or have a way to translate the song titles? I'm just wondering if the original CD release was intended to have extra tracks, or perhaps this was just some sort of error?

Here's a scan of the OBI strip:

[​IMG]

The CD itself only has the 10 standard tracks, although with the ELO side as tracks 1-5 and the ONJ side as tracks 6-10, which is the opposite of the order on the U.S. CD I have.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  2. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I bought this in 1990, but don't have the OBI anymore. Can't say I noticed this at the time. Very strange! ELO appears a lot, so maybe it's a list of their other albums as opposed to a track listing for Xanadu? I have no idea other than that. Sorry!

Pizza likes this.
  3. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I agree, at least for the first 12. The next four is somebody else and I see Toto listed on the bottom. I'll have to look at mine later.

4. David G.

David G. Forum Resident

You know, you're right. I bet that is the listing for the CBS Nice Price Line, not album tracks. The one labeled "9" looked to me like the listing for the song "Xanadu," but I think it's actually the listing for the album. On the CD itself, the track numbers are in the little squares, which is what confused me about the OBI strip.

Pizza likes this.
  5. Bobby Morrow

It's time we were getting a new OBI. On a new (SACD) edition!

6. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Running the image through an OCR, and then the resulting text through a translator, I get this jibberish for the yellow listing:

J over `丿ー Answering one / E'L ·. .

- 2 tube over [/ E, L .. -
    Akebono / E "L" of the Third World misfortune skills 纂. "
    Roashi~e丿 Leto 'La F / E "L ..,
    SemeTomi耶 Face The MusiCares-link / E · L ,. .
    Motomebun world main / E "L of Hisashi及 ~Orora '..
    {? Auto-~O off 'THE' off "丿 Leh / EL". "
    Misfortune} clause 'Example test' non-source-source / E, L ·. .
    [Tsuruki Zanato '© / E "L ,."

~O '丿Hi "A-Men u one ton John

Roh 丶 Suboto / E "L into the temporary" Networks Ta~imu-.-
    i} Kayashi one Kure `Soto eyes, synthesizer temporary / E" L ·. '
    Tadashiyatoi] Nono Lance ~O off '· Nono word / E'L'. .
    Overture / ~Kansasu of the saw AburaDan off wing
    Towing / Kansas to "Enkura Megumi
    To the audience to become large debt solid {/ ~Kansasu
    Yuzuru / ~Kansasu of [圃Mo丿 '丿Su
    {i Mugitsubasa Anima 丿 less '/ "non-link Freud'

I suggest that it's a list of albums perhaps in this series by ELO, Toto, and Kansas.

Harry

Pizza and Bobby Morrow like this.
  7. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

I think it's definitely a list of albums. Number 2 says, "II" which I'm sure is ELOs second album.

8. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident

This was one of the very first Japanese import CDs I ever bought, and I also threw out the obi at the time, not realizing to hold on to it...as I have since bought so many Japanese CDs and have saved all of the packaging. It appears the first 12 listed are ELO's individual albums, but I'm not sure what the next 5 are...it really doesn't matter though.

Did you buy this CD in the early 90s when it first came out or more recently? I would be curious if they messed with the audio since its initial release? Probably not though, but here in the U.S., it happens all the time.

9. geoffr

geoffr Lifeguard in a carwash

definitely in the top five worst movies ever made.

10. Bobby Morrow

I wouldn't say that at all. It's not good, by any means, but there's a lot to enjoy in Xanadu. Of course it helps if you're a raging ONJ fan!

One bad film I saw recently was Gravity. I couldn't believe this was the same movie that received all those glowing reviews. Great 3D. Diabolical movie!

11. Futurecity

I said the same exact thing after seeing GRAVITY...I thought it was just OK, but all of those glowing reviews made it sound like it was just as good as Star Wars or 2001, so it was very disappointing from that aspect.

Still, the movie XANADU was a turkey, but a turkey with a killer soundtrack!

12. Bobby Morrow

And it's fun and colourful and Olivia was so young and pretty!

Pizza likes this.
  13. Futurecity

Well, that too of course!

14. David G.

David G. Forum Resident

I bought this CD when it originally came out. I had wanted a CD of the Xanadu soundtrack since I bought my first CD player in 1984, and I snapped this CD up when I saw it in a record store. I don't remember exactly when it was, but it was more than 20 years ago.

Considering how many versions of most other ONJ albums I have (three or four for almost all her MCA releases - U.S., European, Australian and Japanese SHM-CD), it's a little surprising that I only have two Xanadu CDs in my collection; the original Japanese one and the original U.S. release. The U.S. release was so awful-sounding that I just never bothered picking up any other versions after it. I would certainly buy a remastered SHM-CD (and SHM-SACD) version if one were made available, though.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  15. David G.

David G. Forum Resident

For me, the Olivia/Gene Kelly dance sequence really makes the film. It elevates a film that I would otherwise consider quite bad to a different level.

If you want to talk turkeys, just ask me how I feel about Two of a Kind. THAT'S a terrible movie, which I don't say lightly, because I adore Olivia. Although, as with Xanadu, Two of a Kind has an amazing soundtrack...

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  16. Bobby Morrow

It is hard coming up with any positive comments re TOAK!

17. Troystar

Troystar Forum Resident

Xanadu and Physical were the first 33 1/3 records I ever bought back in 1980. Years ago I found a used version of Xanadu on CD for $8, it's the Japan version that's posted on the previous page from Jet Records the black coloured disc. It doesn't have that paper strip from the outside but it does have a fold out white insert with the Japanese and English lyrics.

This seems to be the the most loved version?

It says 1980 but when was this CD actually released?

18. Bobby Morrow

I got mine in 1990. I'm quite sure it was a recent release then.

19. Troystar

Troystar Forum Resident

Mine came in a regular CD case but with white plastic back instead of black, I wonder if it's original, I'm assuming it had that OBE strip originally.

20. Bobby Morrow

Mine was like that. Unusual to see a while inlay tray back then! Mine had the OBI, but I'm sure I threw it out.

Troystar likes this.
  21. David G.

David G. Forum Resident

Yes, mine has the white inlay tray as well. And, until I started reading this discussion, I had forgotten that the Japanese edition has the original album cover art, but the U.S. version has a revised cover.

22. Bobby Morrow

The UK artwork is more comprehensive than the Japanese CD, but is far too dark.

23. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

The Japanese issue of Xanadu on CD was around 1992. I'm basing that on remembering where I lived at the time. In 1994 most of my CD collection was stolen - it took me years to replace it - I currently own the UK version.

24. Bobby Morrow

I definitely had my Japanese CD in December 1990. I had to get it on import. Not so easy back then! Usually on the OBI it gives you a release date, but I can't see it on this one.

25. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Bobby Morrow likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.