Kate Bush Live Shows 2014 *Spoiler* Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by theMess, Aug 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

The BBC shows were rarely greatest hit affairs. Artists typically might mix a current hit or promotion song with covers or odd catalog selections. That Kate didn't do Wuthering Heights for her appearance doesn't mean much.

2. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Actually it was a one off show. This was unusual as the BBC usually gave artists a whole series of 6 shows eg Lulu, Cilla, Sandie Shaw, Cliff etc These series were not greatest hits affairs but a one off show was different.

3. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I think the show could be considerably tightened by making two changes:

1) Put the Ariel suite in the first half and the Hounds of Love suite in the second half.
    2) Close with either Wuthering Heights or TBWTCIHE, just Kate and piano

Only a single song added, and change of running order. I think the pacing would be better, and by closing with one of her earliest hits, done solo at the piano, it feels like both an appropriate end and an acknowledgement of her full career.

(Given the option, I'd add one more old hit in the revised first act, just before the extended Ariel suite).

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  4. Ere

Ere Senior Member

Doubtless Kate put a lot of thought into the running order and, especially, what would be the last two songs.

blackholesun and ConnieGuitar like this.
  5. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I just noticed this Rod Stewart video. Rod is still a capable vocalist and he has his artistic ambitions (his wrote most of his recent album, "Time"), but in concert he panders to his fans with the worst kind of "crowd pleasing" show. Watching this video made me depressed, although I think it's worth watching at least a couple minutes just to understand how bad things can get.

It also made me realize how fortunate we are that Kate is so unrelenting in her passion for her work.

6. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

now that is painful!

7. Dr.O'Boogie

Dr.O'Boogie Forum Resident

They all seem happy enough. I guess they went to the right gig!:)

8. redfloatboat

redfloatboat Forum Resident

9. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

That's certainly true.

10. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Well...."Snow" is still Kate's most recent album while "Aerial" is a double disc and slightly more expensive. Which would explain while one does surprisingly well while the other doesn't. People still do buy new albums:)

That said I need to revisit both within two weeks. If I pay 100+£ for a show I might as well familiarize myself with the material;) Both albums never have been favourites, I bought "Aerial" two years ago on vinyl and kept it because of it's rarity but I couldn't say I really know it. But I love "The Red Shoes"!

11. Teddy Novaks

Teddy Novaks Forum Resident

I have no idea. Why would I know?

Any reason why I think you're being snide here?

12. Teddy Novaks

I KNOW about ALL of THIS and WELL done FOR unwarranted USE of CAPS lock TO give YOUR point SUBSTANCE it OTHERWISE lacks.

13. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Slebs usually get tickets via their agents. That's how every sleb in London somehow managed to attend the Led Zeppelin concert at the 02 a few years back, whilst millions of fans around the world were unable to get tickets.

14. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

Have you seen the show?

15. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I think that both Aerial and 50 Words for Snow are very strong. The songs on Snow are long and very dark, deliberate, quiet affairs. But the rewards are there for a patient listener.

I think you'll enjoy A Sky of Honey on vinyl.

blackholesun likes this.
  16. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

I even gave the Director's Cut a spin on the weekend and... I liked it!:hide:

supernaut likes this.
  17. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Like "Aerial" I bought "50 Words", played it a couple of times and filed it away. I really need to explore them more...

18. Cloudbuster

Cloudbuster Forum Resident

From Music Week:

The media event of the week was unquestionably the start of veteran singer/songwriter Kate Bush's 22 night run at the Hammersmith Apollo. Light on hits but high on critical acclaim, the shows created a massive amount of publicity, and it is no surprise to find that compilation The Whole Story and all 10 of Bush's studio albums - which returned to the list a week ago - continue to climb the chart. Eight Bush albums are now in the Top 40 and all 11 are in the Top 50 - records for a female solo artist, although Elvis Presley had 12 albums in the Top 40 the week after his death in 1977, the Beatles had 11 the week after their catalogue was released in newly remastered form in 2009, and Michael Jackson had nine albums in the Top 40 (actually the Top 17) a couple of weeks after his death in 2009.

Albums:

#06 The Whole Story
    #09 Hounds Of Love
    #20 50 Words For Snow
    #24 The Kick Inside
    #26 The Sensual World
    #37 The Dreaming
    #38 Never For Ever
    #40 Lionheart
    #43 Aerial
    #44 Director's Cut
    #49 The Red Shoes

Singles:

#051 Running Up That Hill
    #057 Wuthering Heights
    #080 This Woman's Work
    #115 Babooshka
    #122 The Man With The Child In His Eyes
    #152 Hounds Of Love
    #180 Cloudbusting

sunspot42 and theMess like this.
  19. Dr.O'Boogie

Dr.O'Boogie Forum Resident

Just goes to show the power of the media spotlight when it comes to sales. Actually that's another thing I totally respect about Kate in recent years; she hasn't 'used' the press to promote herself. I feel a lot of stars are hypocritical in the way they manipulate the press for publicity but then too often claim invasion of privacy. I totally respect Kate's love of privacy because I don't detect any hypocrisy.

20. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

With you there. I know these various Kate threads have been spiralling around the plughole for a while now, but we're all aware of one thing - casual fan or not - she doesn't pander. That Americans didn't get into her work till much later than others wouldn't phase her a jot when it came to choosing a set list. If she's decided not to do any stuff off any of the early albums I'm sure she's got her own solid/inexplicable reasons, but they will be her reasons. Never met the lass but I feel she'd give any kind of hypocrisy the sharp edge (with Babooshka's sword probably).

ConnieGuitar and D.B. like this.
  21. Teddy Novaks

I saw the second night - genuinely astonishing. One of the most amazing spectacles I've ever seen.

I'm probably repeating myself... :love:

22. Rickhorse

Rickhorse New Member

I find the amount of complaining here quite amusing. The truth is that most artists privately hate performing most of their earliest songs, but do it for a variety of reasons... ego, money, insecurity, etc. I wonder if any of you are old enough to have seen her 1979 Christmas special when it first aired live? If yes, did you cry then about the fact that she DID NOT perform Wuthering Heights? In fact, she performed a few songs from Never For Ever which had not even been released yet, plus the Roy Harper written duet w/Peter Gabriel.
    Not exactly a greatest hits tv show, even in 1979!

blackholesun and ConnieGuitar like this.
  23. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

No offence but maybe you should try reading all of the thread before deciding to join the debate, that way you will not be repeating what has already been said 2 pages back.

24. Rickhorse

Rickhorse New Member

ahhhaaha, mea culpa. Perhaps I missed where you chided the hundred people for repeating the same "I want Wuthering Heights" messages? ;-)

25. micksmuse

micksmuse Forum Resident

any thread, no matter how long or redundant that produces a link as funny as the hitler video about ten pages back is worth revisiting and suffering through hourly.

Mlle. Aurora, scobb and ippudo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.