Singles that should've been...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnnyQuest, Aug 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Deep Purple - Anthem

It has a huge hit here, it lot or airplay. I think it was released in Italy. But other than that, and probably a couple of other countries, it was not a single in the UK, USA, etc.

Such a pity. To me, it's the best MKI song. With a terrific use of strings in the middle section. How come it hasn't been even included on "Best Ofs" it's beyond me.

RIP Jon Lord

andy749 and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  2. martinb

martinb Senior Member

The Poets - In Your Tower

The B side to Wooden Spoon, and a far better song. Could have been a big hit in '67

doubleaapn likes this.
  3. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

True and it was well deserved indeed. It was just so sad that so little of it occurred when they were still a band . And that a lot of it occurred after they started dying off.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction was also very well deserved and one of those times that the R&RHOF got it right early in the game.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  4. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident Thread Starter

Stevie Wonder - Isn't She Lovely

5. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

Stevie specifically asked Motown NOT to release a 45 of this song, against their wishes.

6. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

Elvis Costello-Kinder Murder

Second song in and Warner Brothers didn't even hear it.

Surly likes this.
  7. Evan

Evan Senior Member

Inconceivable!

margaritatoldtom likes this.
  8. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man I Am Just a Mops

I always thought "Steam Engine" would have made for a great latter-day Monkees single. Incredibly it sat in the vaults for 20 years while stuff like "Lady's Aid Society" got released. :help:

Andrew likes this.
  9. Evan

Evan Senior Member

That's hard to believe. Gasoline Alley is a great song.

10. Michael P

Michael P Forum Resident

The first track on every side of the White Album had single potential. Here Comes the Sun, also a first track. Drive My Car, the first track off the U.K. version of RS. Good Day Sunshine, 1st track off side 2 of Revolver.

Almost every "first track" off an original U.K. album had single potential. They had to be that good since the actual singles were not included on most U.K. albums until Revolver (excluding soundtrack albums).

11. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

"Houses Of The Holy", Led Zeppelin

12. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

And then they played it live and upped the ante even more.

John Fell and JohnnyQuest like this.
  13. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident Thread Starter

Terrible move that didn't affect him or the plays of the song. It still receives radioplay to this day. lol

14. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

This Will Be Our Year - I think could still be a "hit" these days if on the soundtrack of a hit movie, or TV show, in much the same way Badfinger's "Baby Blue" found a new audience on the "Breaking Bad" episode.

15. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

Great song but it came out at a time when the top 40 landscape dominated by soft rock, arena rock and disco. Radio programmers over here found them too threatening.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  16. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

"Angel In Blue" by the J. Geils Band. It just grazed the top 40 for a few weeks in the early summer of 1982.

margaritatoldtom and bru87tr like this.
  17. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

Potliquor should have had a lot of hit singles. Chattanooga and their version of Rip It Up should have been on the charts.

I Don't Want To Discuss It by Delaney and Bonnie live should have been a single.

Foghats version of Terraplane blues .

18. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

The Who - Our Love Was Is
    A great B-side would have been I Can't Reach You

Given radio's strong attraction towards love songs, I think this could have been a killer double A side 45.

These classic tracks are from Sell Out.
    The only worldwide single released from the LP was I Can See For Miles/Someone's Coming (in the US the B-side was Mary Anne with the Shaky Hand).

19. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Totally agree with It's Late. Very commercial...should have put it out! Time to pull out that album....havent played it in a long time!

20. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

Every time I hear it I say to myself, "So the reason that this sublime piece of music stiffed in the charts is...what, it's too good?" Especially when you consider the crap that does often find it's way to the very top of the charts.

21. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I'm Free - The Rolling Stones - relegated to the b-side of Get Off My Cloud.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  22. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Dandy - The Kinks - released as a single in Germany and couple of other countries but not the U.S. or U.K.

23. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Little Wing - Jimi Hendrix - covered by many but not released as a single from Axis: Bold As Love.

Dave Hoos likes this.
  24. andy749

andy749 Senior Member

Who - "Substitute"
    Jimmy Cliff - "Many Rivers to Cross"
    Jimi's early 45s in USA
    Kinks - "Picture Book"

Always thought Cream's "Badge" should've been a bigger hit in U.S...strange. Same with DP's "Woman From Tokyo".

margaritatoldtom likes this.
  25. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

+ 1 on Picture Book and Animal Farm as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.