Is it time for The Beatles in 5.1?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alexpop, Aug 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

for those inclined I don't see it hurting anything.

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I find this quite disturbing!

Frank likes this.
  3. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Brilliant! In 7.1: You can have drunks arguing back & forth in the two rear surrounds, with options for the original German or English translation.

rstamberg likes this.
  4. love4another

love4another Forum Resident

About no.

5. There was a time when the speed of an automobile topped out at about 5 miles per hour, too. I'm sure when they got the first car got up to about 30 mph there were people standing there, arms crossed, saying, "That's simply not the speed these things were meant to be driven."

graystoke, ronbow and MonkeyMan like this.
  6. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I think the Psychedelic-era Beatles would have mixed their songs in surround if they could have.

One Louder and ralph7109 like this.
  7. Steel Horse

Steel Horse Forum Resident

It is always time for 5.1 releases........ Since AF have started to release 5.1 Sack-Dees I think it is time for some Steve Hoffman Beatles mastering. I do believe our host would like to take a bite on something like this.........:winkgrin:

8. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Sure -and Leonardo would have photoshopped Mona Lisa if he could have

9. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Only 2 Beatles complete albums that lend themself to the 5.1 medium'Sgt Pepper + the other one I mentioned. I believe they would shift a few units.

10. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Why not? He could have made a whole series of it. He did two of them already. Each with a different variation, offering a different perspective on his work. It's Art!

Quadrophonic sound appeared a couple of years after the Beatles mixed their albums. I'm sure they would have taken advantage of it. Lennon did, although rather lazily.

As long as the original never disappears, I don't see where the problem is. Does it spoil the enjoyment of the original for you, knowing that there is another version sanctionned by the artists?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  11. vinylphile

vinylphile Forum Resident

Nah - 1.0 is just fine.

12. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

First of all Im grateful that you actually replied and discussed what I am trying to express. Unfortunately that is not always the case here. Secondly it wouldn t spoil anything for me if this became reality. But it might be that the coming generations will get used to hear mixes of masterworks that never were supposed to sound that way from the beginning. Arguably the Beatles legacy so far has been handled with a lot more care than many others in this matter. Mostly the reinventions only have to do with shortterm profitmaking nothing more. Of course - if the artist aprove or participate its a different thing. But it s beyond me how John and George could do that. To quote 10cc
    Art for art sake and money for god sake
    I personally didn t like quadrophenic sound and don t think 5.1 mixes and surround recreates music the natural way I prefer. But thats me

13. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

The Beatles didn't record their albums for "Art sake", I bet they wanted some money out of it. :laugh:

What's natural about a recording mixed to stereo or mono? It is a hodge podge of different takes, different tracks all edited and artificially modified in some way, placed on top of one another, after the fact. Maybe a few tracks from the PPM album are live-in-the-studio takes, maybe a couple here and there on the other albums.

I have been in a studio, standing among the musicians, I have listened to unamplified live music... Sound is coming at you from all sides.

Of course everybody can listen the way (s)he prefers. That's why I think surround remixes can't hurt anything.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  14. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Iv been in a studio to . But the -natural way of hearing music is in a concerthall, theatre os something. Very few people sitting in the middle of an orhestra listeming. It s not a coincidence a maestro standing in front of the orchestra directing. But as I said thats my preferences and I understand and respekt people who feels different

15. JamesLord

JamesLord Forum Resident

Personally my current favourite way to hear the Beatles is the CD Mono Box which I think sounds great. But I did also really love the 'sound' of the Love album - particularly where they went for fairly straight remixes.

Not so keen on 5.1 myself - but if people want it then great. This is one of the great catalogues in recorded music. I think it should be heard as much as possible in whatever format suits people best. It seems pointless to say they 'shouldn't' do 5.1 when they have already done RockBand!! ;-)

16. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Ugh! Calling the LOVE mix a mash-up is a huge disservice to George and Giles Martin. IMO, most "mash-ups" are created by amatuers manipulating digital files to mix similar tunes to proclaim to the internet how cute and clever they are. Granted, some are pretty good, some are worthy of one listen. The Martins used the original studio tracks and mixed them professionally with a result IMO that honors the Beatles tradition. They didn't "mash" anything.

Rne and IronWaffle like this.
  17. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

I believe Gile's Martin does not like that term for a high end product. Though that's the blurb used to describe "Love".

18. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I enjoy listening to Love every now and then. I enjoyed the show-in fact its spectacular. But when Im listening to Love Im listening to Love not to abbey road or Sergeant Pepper. making them sound like Love does t seem right. But lookin at the state of world affairs today this really is nothing to argue about. Maybe they also should include some sexy female voices and technobeat on Eleanor Rigby to make it more up to date. Or why not remix the whole sheebang like duets with Beyonce or Lady Gaga. There is no limit to opportunities.

19. rrbbkk

rrbbkk Forum Resident

Is it time for The Beatles in 5.1?

Forgive my sacrilege but it's time to stop listening to the Beatles over and over. It doesn't matter the format, we're chasing a dragon that never sounded better than the way we remember it.

20. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

:rolleyes:

21. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Probably true

22. HarvG

HarvG Senior Member

Were their first few albums ever intended to be heard in stereo? Clearly not, based on the way they were recorded by George Martin. But, there was a perceived demand for them to be released in stereo, and we of course have had stereo versions since the '60s - I would think you would have to consider those disingenuous as well (and maybe rightfully so!).

I'm not arguing for or against 5.1 releases with this line of reasoning, just pointing out there is clearly precedence going back to the early days for adapting their releases to a newer audio configuration. As I stated in an earlier post, if they ultimately go this route, I would be hopeful it would be limited to later releases like 'Sgt. Pepper' and 'Abbey Road'; these could be interesting novelties.

23. All of his Archive projects were released (and are still available) as HiRez downloads.

Did he make any comments about the Yellow Sub or Love surround mixes?

24. fpas

fpas Just...take it easy, man.

In an era of mp3 and iTunes, that seems unlikely. Also, most people don't have a proper surround setup at home. A portion of that really made a concious choice, because they actually want to hear and experience stuff in surround, while a lot of people just bought a home theater setup, just to buy a complete, instant package, not really caring about surround music and hires. So I don't think coming generations will make a huge shift in that aspect.

wolfram likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.