Ryan Adams Self Titled album 9/9/2014

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wbhendrix, Jul 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

I got the 7" but I'm not so sure about the sound quality really. I find it not that good. Anyone share this experience with me?

Btw, the single is all over the place at Discogs if someone needs one.

2. sandman012

sandman012 Member

I like it , but my ears aren't as keen as many here

3. wallpaperman

wallpaperman Forum Resident

Got a ticket for the Glasgow gig today, the Royal Concert Hall is a great venue. It's a couple of weeks after the album comes out, so plenty time to absorb the new album, perfect. :goodie:

wbhendrix likes this.
  4. Kym

Kym Former Resident

Hmmm. I wonder if that type treatment is a little joke there?

[​IMG]

5. gsmile

gsmile Forum Resident

New music video for the first single "Gimme Something Good" featuring the beautiful Cassandra Wilson reprising her Elvira, Mistress of the Dark persona. Ryan has typically had very "meh" music videos (please correct me if I'm wrong!) so I consider this one of his very best! Love the tape drag on the footage and the shots of Ryan looking badass with a candelabra are worth the price of admission.

I must say, I'm really digging the song after repeated plays. If Ashes and Fire was RA's "mature" take on his early alt-country records, than this album is shaping up to be his update on his Rock n Roll LP. I'm all about power-pop Ryan, so I am definitely looking forward to the full album.

Rupe33, Rocketdog and Crazyhorse11 like this.
  6. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Anyone else nervous about the vinyl LP of this one? the current Blue Note label does not have a very good track record for decent pressings.

7. gramfan

gramfan Forum Resident

Man...I really don't like this song....I like sad bastard Ryan....this sounds like bad eighties music...he must be joking.....

bonus and Jack like this.
  8. gsmile

gsmile Forum Resident

I have the recent vinyl issue of Benmont Tench's solo album on Blue Note and it plays quiet and dynamically. The pressing itself will be fine. It's always a crap shoot with Ryan's albums in terms of actual mixing dynamics; half of his discography is warm, detailed and spacious, half of it is a brickwalled mess. The official audio of "Gimme Something Good" seems pitched halfway between those two extremes, so I'm ok with that.

John D. likes this.
  9. rob303

rob303 Forum Resident

Blue Note aside, I still believe this is a PaxAm release. Ryan has not disappointed with his PaxAm releases on wax. Being his own label (and I am pretty sure he is a vinyl geek) this should be great.

gsmile likes this.
  10. Daz

Daz Forum Resident

The single is really channeling the 80's. I'm thinking that font choice is quite deliberate.

bonus likes this.
  11. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

Completely disagree. It's better than anything off of Ashes And Fire. I also don't think it sounds like "bad 80's music", either. Perhaps a bit like the Del Fuegos, but then that would be good 80's music. If this is a "joke", then it's the best joke he's had in awhile, and I'm looking forward to hearing more of it.

12. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

13. rob303

rob303 Forum Resident

Also, for any of the doubters who haven't either seen Ryan on his mini-tour nor listened to any of the shows, do yourself a favor and check out "Shadows". Best RA song in idk how long.

14. wbhendrix

wbhendrix Forum Resident Thread Starter

15. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Jacksonville is a song that was recorded during the Jacksonville City Nights sessions. I'm assuming this will be rerecording from the past year.

16. wbhendrix

thats what i was afraid of.... :/

17. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Because of it being written for Jacksonville City Nights or because of it being a rerecording?

18. wbhendrix

i guess i'm not really /that/ disappointed. I was just hoping to hear more new RA :D

19. rob303

rob303 Forum Resident

Well, it appears there's an entirely new Glyn Johns-produced album that RA scrapped before making the new upcoming album.

Man, the amount of unreleased RA must have staggers my imagination. Gonna be an epic boxed set someday!

20. wbhendrix

I sure hope so! I can only assume that Ryan has gobs and gobs of home recordings that are actually really good. We should start a kickstarter campaign for Ryan to release it :p

rob303 likes this.
  21. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

22. windfall

windfall Senior Member

23. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

I don't want to listen to this before release. But I can't help myself. :)

wbhendrix and Erik B. like this.
  24. john beacham

john beacham Forum Resident

Really liking it so far!! Loaded with great hooks, not as mellow and acoustic as 'Ashes & Fire'.

25. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

Looking forward to this release (I don't want to listen to the NPR stream yet). Even though I was horribly disappointed with the first single, I loved that 1984 7" (which though I know won't sound anything like his new album, it's still gotten me excited for more new RA). Also love that he's got the always great Mike Viola in his band.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.