Beatles Mono VINYL Box Set - 8th September 2014 Release Date (Part 7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joel Cairo, Aug 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

Let's not go there :laugh:

2. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

The Queen's English spelling of honor is honour ;)

3. jordanlolss

jordanlolss Forum Resident

4. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

I think all the CLJ pressings are from a digital source (same as '87 CDs), yes...

5. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

No, I just don't believe them. There was NO mention made of a 'deteriorating' PPM master tape. It's pure BS as far as I'm concerned. You cannot tell me with the Status The Beatles have that all these years those MasterTapes are nothing but pristine. I mean, how many times has 'The' MasterTape of PPM come out to play?? 1 for the original issue, 1 time for the Mobile Fidelity issue and once more for the 1987 Cd's, and once more for the Stereo Cd's. So that's 4 times for the Stereo Tape. On the Mono Side we have 1 for the original issue, 1 for the 1982 european and Japanese sets, 1 time for the 1987 Cd mono, and 1 more time for the 2009 Mono CD box. So that's 4 times in 50 years the tape has been 'used'. Sorry, it's not shedding oxide, if it is then the whole Beatle thing is a sorry joke. Just like the Mono CD box was 'limited' and their STILL selling it all over the major retail stores, you can NOT convince me that any of the album MasterTapes are messed up.
    NO WAY Jose!
    the beave

6. multichamp201

multichamp201 Forum Resident

You didnt know this? I posted a picture of it a few pages back.

7. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Is this post a joke?

googlymoogly and Muzyck like this.
  8. The Beave

jamiesjamies likes this.
  9. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

10. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

11. ClassicRockTragic

ClassicRockTragic Forum Resident

Allright, you sold me.

I'll get one.

kipper15 likes this.
  12. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Well Beave, according to the log on the stereo tape box on the cover of my PPM from the MFSL box, the tape was accessed eleven times through 1970. Math tells me it's been 44 years since then.

slane likes this.
  13. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

I can't recall where in this thread you'll find some info on this but isn't the problem to do with cutting the record in the analogue domain with a fragile master tape? When they've pulled the tapes from the vaults to create CDs they were able to make a transfer one track at a time into the digital domain...then clean the tape....do the next track....and so on and so on. I'm no expert on this stuff by any stretch but as I understand it, and recall reading, they can't cut a record like that in the analogue domain without risking serious damage to the fragile tape. It can't be done piecemeal. So I think they had a choice: do it from a digital transfer or - to keep everything in the analogue domain - make a copy of the tape, and cut the LP from that. It's the lesser of the two evils but if they hadn't told us, I doubt anyone would really have been able to tell...IMHO of course...

14. The Beave

I too worked at the WhereHouse Records and then 'Off The Record' in San Diego from 1979 to 1985 and I NEVER even heard of this. And being close to LA I'm positive I would have seen one come through as I was the Beatles and Stones guy at the store. And I do remember passing on the 'closeout' sale of the Mobile Fidelity Stones box set for $99 because I was just making around $5 and hour and even at that discount, I just couldn't afford it.
    So yeah, I'm scarfing up all the Beatles and Stones I can get a hold of now.
    the beave

15. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

16. Millington

Millington Forum Resident

I have done the same. Gives me peace of mind.

17. The Beave

No it's not a joke.
    So just 5 years ago when the MONO CD Box came out, there wasn't any word about tape/tapes being in bad shape was there? Again, I laid it out pretty clearly, in 50 years those tapes have been out of the vault about 4 times. They've had it in an archival cave for decades and the oxides shedding????? With all respect, don't be naive. I have ****ty no name Cassettes of my Dad's recordings that were bought at 'Two Guys' department store in Rockaway Township New Jersey (God Rest his soul, he was a good man) from 1968/9/70. About the cheapest crappiest tape stock you could get, and I just played them last year to digitize them. Guess what, they played fine, no oxide shedding at all. And that from DECADES of sitting in hot attics/garages before I finally got them. So Yes, I am Damned Serious about my opinion on this.
    the beave

18. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

Gotta say everyone...this thread has been very entertaining and a few interesting, but still relevant IMHO, I shall choose to call them 'supplements' to the main thrust of the discussion...mysterious audiophile Abbey Road vinyl pressing only available in t-shirt boxes, Love Me Do-gate, collector insanity - or was it bogus - £7,500+ sales of UK mono LPs that aren't that rare, scrims, GZ pressing horror story rumours, whether or not 25 year olds can be classed as experts in their field (the Beatles certainly were), Michael Fremeer's imaginary nephew, order cancellations and re-orders, shall I shan't I get the box oh-stuff-it-I'll get two of 'em...and of course monster flaps. This thread really has had it all...and then some!

19. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

Clonesteak and The Spaceman like this.
  20. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Have the original master tapes really only been used four times? I have no idea.

It's pretty clear that tapes don't last forever, and some tapes have to be baked before they are used. My question is simply why would EMI make up a fake story about the oxide shedding from the Please Please Me tape and having to dub a second copy from which to master the new Please Please Me mono LP? All that does is freak out obsessive compulsive prospective purchasers of the box like most everyone here, so what possible motive would they have to fabricate this story?

googlymoogly and Paully like this.
  21. jordanlolss

jordanlolss Forum Resident

So.. they made up a lie for the fun of it? So they would have to go through even more work to copy the tape over, rather than just going from the master.

22. The Spaceman

The Spaceman Forum Resident

Maidenpriest and Clonesteak like this.
  23. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

It has been highly entertaining, Kipper.

Of course this is an indication as to the interest and ego-inovlelment we all have for the set and The Beatles. Eight days to go!

kipper15 likes this.
  24. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

Beave the PPM tape alone was found to have issues with stickyness. It was surmised here that this could be the actual adhesive that holds the iron oxide to the tape but was more thought to be the adhesive on the joints of leader tape splices adhesive that was gumming up the works.

Its back in part [something - do a a search] of this thread - the admission was from Sean and the Abbey Rd team

25. The Beave

And I for one Sir am Absurd.
    So don't you forget it!
    the beave

kipper15 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.