Shady Grove - Jerry Garcia & David Grisman

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jackie P, Sep 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jackie P

Jackie P Music Addict Thread Starter

Until last week I was basically unaware of how great David Grisman's Acoustic Discs were.

Thanks to checking various other threads I eventually decided to buy a copy of Shady Grove and it really is as good as other members indicated.

[​IMG]

Shady Grove - Jerry Garcia & David Grisman (Acoustic Disc)

I was so impressed with this I immediately purchased a couple of other titles from Jerry & David that members had recommended.

[​IMG]

Not For Kids Only - Jerry Garcia & David Grisman (Acoustic Disc)

&

[​IMG]

The Pizza Tapes - Jerry Garcia, David Grisman & Tony Rice (Acoustic Disc)

I have no idea how or why I missed out on these titles when originally issued but know for a fact that comments posted in the past on the other Jerry & David related threads here have helped me big time discover these beauties.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
    Rockinrob, vegafleet and on7green like this.
  2. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

They are gems for sure.
    The playing is top notch and SQ is very pleasing.
    You have to check out the Jery Garcia David Grisman MOFI SACD.
    Coincidently, I was listening to it when I saw your thread.
    A beautiful album of amazing acoustic performances.
    Stand out tracks.....Friend Of The Devil, Russian Lullaby.
    Glen

Jackie P likes this.
  3. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

All seven sets are worth getting (and there's also an expanded version of the Pizza Tapes set available for download). These sets are a monument to Garicia's range and to his great musical generosity. We're lucky to have them because they show off sides of his music-making that were not often on display in in the context of the Dead or the various incarnations of the Jerry Garcia Band and related ensembles. There's some live material floating around as well, but it hasn't been officially released.

L.

IronWaffle, gkella, JayB and 2 others like this.
  4. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

The Pizza Tapes is simply beautiful, and it comes from an informal recording session! These records prove what a complete and astoundingly talented guitar player Jerry Garcia was.

Rockinrob and vegafleet like this.
  5. AGimS

AGimS Forum Resident

I would skip "The Pizza Tapes" and go straight to the goldmine: The Tony Rice catalog. Mr. Grisman's catalog also is worth exploring.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  6. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Why skip? Sometimes, I like pizza with a different topping.

gkella, Jackie P and Rne like this.
  7. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

"Arabia" is pure pleasure. The live version featured on the Grateful Dawg soundtrack is beautiful too!

Jackie P likes this.
  8. AGimS

AGimS Forum Resident

Well I don't particular like The Pizza Tapes, and never understood it popularity (other than the fact Mr. Garcia is there). On the other hand I am a big fan of Tony Rice and bluegrass in general. People need to hear Tony Rice, but I doubt The Pizza Tapes makes you a TR fan. IMO !!

9. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Well, so I could say that people need to listen to the Grateful Dead, or Old & In The Way or Earth Opera, but it's not the point of this thread, methinks. The Pizza Tapes is the (IMO) great album it is because of Garcia, Grisman and Rice.

ronbow likes this.
  10. Hershiser

Hershiser Forum Resident

Not to threadcrap but thanks to Grisman's Acoustic Disc label which I discovered through the first Garcia Grisman CD it exposed me to artists like Tony Rice and others. Now I have a nice collection of Garcia, Grisman, and other related artists. One of my personal favorites is the Rice Rice Hillman Peterson self titled album on Rounder

Jackie P and j4yheindeo like this.
  11. JayB

JayB Senior Member

Garcia & Grisman is great stuff for sure!

12. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

13. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

Jackie P likes this.
  14. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Beautiful stuff. I much prefer these collaborations and Jerry's solo work the Grateful Dead.

Mark E. Moon and Jackie P like this.
  15. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Don't hesitate to listen for the hidden bonus track on Shady Grove.

JRM and lschwart like this.
  16. Jackie P

Ah, 'Hesitation Blues'

Very good Jerry!

:)

17. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Shady Grove is definitely my favorite of these, and it doesn't get any better than the title track (and Whisky in the Jar)

Jackie P and Quincy like this.
  18. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

its only one of the greatest "fly on the wall" studio session releases ever.... It represents a summit meeting of two titans of their respective genres, introduced by the third party, leaving you with a real behind the scenes feeling of what it could've been like to REALLY be sitting there while it all unfolded. Perfect studio recordings? no.... Perfect release? yes...

Rockinrob and Jackie P like this.
  19. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

I just got my copy of the Pizza Tapes today on CD after having the Grisman/Garcia MoFi vinyl. I'm listening on cans and it sounds absolutely awesome, love the fly on the wall aspect - reminds me of all of the Beatle bootlegs - but the sound quality on this is even better.

Can't wait to listen over speakers (wee man is asleep) and pick up a couple of more albums.

Bill

20. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

If you like that acoustic "Whiskey In The Jar," you'll also love the electric version with the band on "So Many Roads." Jerry just sashays into it off a jam and Phil stops the song with "Wait. Wait! What IS that?" Jerry gives a little background history and they re-launch. My favorite cut on that box set!

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
    BNell, Crispy Rob, JRM and 2 others like this.
  21. mds

mds Forum Resident

Don't forget "Old and in the Way". Love Wild Horses.

Gary and bootbox like this.
  22. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Out of the three discs you mention, Shady Grove is essential.
    Did that ever get a vinyl release?

23. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Have that too but come back to this one more often

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2014
  24. Jackie P

Thanks to up-thread comments I could not resist buying a copy of the Jerry Garcia |David Grisman title. It's a great album for sure and I am loving every minute of it.

[​IMG]

....... & in pursuit of more David Grisman mandolin magic I also bought a copy Hot Dawg, an A&M/Horizon title that was released back in 1979.

[​IMG]

It is another real gem of an album, full of irresistible Jazz influences, and one I'd especially recommended to anyone interested in hearing classy combinations of mandolin, violin, acoustic guitar & bass playing. Stephane Grappelli guests on one track, a version of his own composition 'Minor Swing'.

25. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

I think that Jerry's playing on these discs shows an energy and inspiration which was not always so obvious during his work with the Grateful Dead in the same time frame. I find Shady Grove and The Pizza Tapes to be very enjoyable listening. The Garcia/Grisman disc shows how much jazz these musicians knew.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.