Albums that sound similar to Big Star's 3rd?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by atl1, Aug 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. atl1

atl1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Having trouble finding other albums with this kind of "style".

2. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

Velvet Umderground.

3. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

Maybe The Velvet Underground's self-titled third album? Or perhaps Portishead's third album 3. If nothing else they're both downbeat third albums from cult bands.

drivingfrog likes this.
  4. Aghast of Ithaca

Aghast of Ithaca Forum Resident

Try Wilco's Yankee Hotel Foxtrot.

5. atl1

atl1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

yea good call, i remember somewhere saying Reservations kind of had a Kangaroo thing going on

6. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

or Lou Reed's Berlin

mds likes this.
  7. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

I don't think there is anything else that sounds like it, or that the album really even has a style. Songs like "Jesus Christ", "Stroke it Noel" , "Holocaust" and "Blue Moon" don't even sound like they would be on the same album. But it works and it's beautifully unique.

midniteinsanjuan likes this.
  8. Davey

Davey NP: Jane Weaver ~ Love in Constant Spectacle (LP)

Some good suggestions, really like that record, truth be told probably more than the other Big Star records, though maybe not a fair comparison since it is so different from what came before. I'd put the amazing Cardinal record from around 1994 in that same place, at least for me. Some of the same atmosphere, chamber pop with eclectic lyrics and clever arrangements, kind of dark and depressing. Cult following with a lot of critical acclaim. Magic that was never fully duplicated before or after. Great record. If so inclined, the original is far better than the later remaster for all the usual reasons. Bonus tracks aplenty, mostly you can live without, but goosed sound. The original is a beautiful job.

9. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

to me, the Chris Bell I Am The Cosmos stuff is the flipside of Third. the subject matter/overall depressive vibe is similar between the two. except Bell was still working within a crunchy pop-rock framework, while Chilton really went all over the map.

broccolid and irong like this.
  10. T'mershi Duween

T'mershi Duween Forum Resident

This Mortal Coil on 4AD. :D

11. irong

irong Forum Resident

Third is a very unique record... the arrangements are varied and unorthodox at the same time...

I'd say that I hear something from Third in Elliott Smith's music. Although Smith's compositions are maybe more guitar-oriented than the songs on third, I think they share a similar geist (Smith covered a few Big Star songs in his carreer, including Stroke it Noel).

Maybe From a Basement on a Hill is the album I'd suggest. It experiments with noise and instrumentation, it's somewhat incohesive and demo-like (it's posthumous: those are songs he was recording for a double-album when he died).

broccolid likes this.
  12. "Down Colorful Hill" (Red House Painters)

13. PBo

PBo Forum Resident

Skip Spence - Oar?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.