Name A Great Power Pop Tune

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gersh, Aug 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stromgol

stromgol Forum Resident

Another excellent Canadian power pop band.

Other power pop bands are the Liquor giants (they did a great cover of Move's ''Fire brigade'') ,Barely pink, Gladhands.

Rhett and vamborules like this.
  2. stromgol

stromgol Forum Resident

In my opinion, the greatest power pop song from ''La belle province''

StephMess78 and ralphb like this.
  3. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

"Some Sing, Some Dance" ain't so bad either.:)

Gersh likes this.
  4. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

Dig the 'Lights! They were cool - for sure!

5. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

6. chodad

chodad Hodad

Jamey K likes this.
  7. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

Rocketdog likes this.
  8. timlamp1

timlamp1 Forum Resident

No mention of Big Star yet,& i've been carefully following this thread for a few days now

9. sixelsix

sixelsix Forum Resident

Actually, Terry (only member who survived the crash) had a band called the Nice Boys for awhile; not sure if they're still going. Terry and Louie Bankston AKA King Louie (who was a member only on and co-wrote most of the songs on GR) are playing a show together at Gonerfest later this month. Looking forward to it.

melstapler likes this.
  10. timlamp1

timlamp1 Forum Resident

From the band who would eventually become The Pogues, their name was shortened from The Nipple Erectors

11. dotwacky

dotwacky Forum Resident

This is way up there for me:

12. johnp352

johnp352 New Member

My idea of what the term means goes back to a Pete Townsend interview in 1967. At the time there was only Pop and Classical on the BBC. So Pete, in his "I hazz too many words to get out" way quipped the Who were a pop band..but then quickly said, a Power pop band..because at the time Acker Bilk (look him up) was also considered a pop band, and he wanted to make a distinction..as though anyone would confuse the two.

The meaning of this term got all screwed up during the following decades. But I always think the term, as applied to The Who in the great 66-69 era, is what it's about. POWER pop.

My little band has always had a mehh/hate relation with this term (the marketing company at our record company in 1976 "came up " with the term as a sales tool)..We are a Chicago based group, which also means we like blues and brit blues from the same era..so Yardbirds , Peter Green Fleetwood Mac, Magic Sam, Howlin Wolf..when we show our roots live, it actually disturbs some people..gee why can't they sound and look like the Raspberries? Wheres the shiny helmet hair do's? I want 1966!!!! Or what someone told me was 1966...

If you'd like listen to Live at Dingwalls, or 30 Seconds Over Schaumburg..The Yardbirds used to do the same thing..they'd blast through Train kept a Rollin..but then do something like For Your Love, or Over Under..they didn't and neither do we see it as such a big deal.

There are several bands that share our roots..CT for one. We also like to PLAY..and stretch out. Not reproduce the precious little v-c-v-c-b-cc.

Having said all that, for my non existent money, the absolute best P Pop song is So Sad About Us..live at the Marquee in 3/67..not the lp version, the live version.

entropyfan likes this.
  13. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

14. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

"A Girl Like You" - The Smithereens.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  15. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

Am sure already mentioned, Rockpile's "Seconds of Pleasure" in its entirety.

Gersh likes this.
  16. Gersh

Gersh Forum Resident Thread Starter

On another thread devoted to him, I posted a recent live version (this year) of one of his greatest hits, done for a breakfast show. He is still excellent.

17. Gordon Crisp

Gordon Crisp Forum Resident

Shattered Faith, "Always The Same"

Christian (!?) SoCal punk rock band does up some sweet & crunchy punky power pop. Unfortunately this version has really s***ty double-tracked vocals which the version I have on CD does not have. It makes the song about 20% less awesome. Still great though!

18. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

So glad to hear Terry and Louie still playing music! I just went to that website and it looks like The Paul Collins Beat will be playing that festival as well. I'm sure the song Walking Out On Love can be very emotional for Terry and Louie.

I've always said, The Exploding Hearts were a band in the right place at the wrong time. Had they formed/toured just a few years later, I believe they would've done much better. The late 1990s/early 2000s was a bad time for that style music, but everything changed a few years later with the resurgence in garage rock and power pop.

19. timlamp1

timlamp1 Forum Resident

This one from XTC's 3rd LP,Drums & Wires really GROWS on you,even after only one listen. Just heard that D & W is getting the deluxe Blu-ray audiophile reissue in October,with a DTS 5.1 mix

conjotter and The Elephant Man like this.
  20. KaptKopter

KaptKopter Forum Resident

A New Power pop song that I think fits the criteria released in the last couple of years:

21. kstrine

kstrine New Member

A lot of great power pop bands mentioned... You can't go wrong with any of the usuals - Raspberries, Fountains of Wayne, Big Star, 20/20, early Marshall Crensahw. And a lot of The Outfield - Say It Isn't So, etc...
    I'll add a few albums not mentioned yet - Candy "Whatever Happened to Fun", The Sighs "What Goes On", The Fags "Light 'em Up".

Defrance likes this.
  22. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

Same Thing - The Grays
    Very Best Years - The Grays

23. RoryStorm

RoryStorm Forum Resident

Yeah...you are correct...The Cavedogs are reuniting for this one...also, another fave of mine will be there...The Gigolo Aunts....remember their 'Where I Find My Heaven' from the Dumb and Dumber soundtrack? A great 90's power pop band for sure !!!

24. Rupe33

Rupe33 Senior Member

Bought Your Ghost by the Bigger Lovers:

25. sixelsix

sixelsix Forum Resident

Think I mentioned upthread. . .saw 'em in '95 at Maxwell's. Great show, and Phil Hurley was a guitar hero for sure that night.

Another great bill at Maxwell's in '94: Velvet Crush and Sloan. I believe this happened 2x, actually. They were touring Teenage Symphonies and Twice Removed, respectively. Both still hold up really well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.