Predicting the Movie Hits and Bombs of 2014 (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Collector Man, Aug 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member Thread Starter

[MOD: Continued from http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/predicting-the-movie-hits-and-bombs-of-2014.338913/page-40 ]
    For those that like buying DVD/ Bluray copies to keep......think of all the savings one can make this year, and buy other more useful things. Surely by now, collectors have a great range from the past - in their collections - to fall back on , and watch.
    I used to reduce my 'must buy list' by buying up to 15 or more discs, at any one time.
    Presently - I have not considered buying even one- in the last 6 months.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2014
  2. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

H. L. Mencken strikes again.

PH416156 likes this.
  3. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

my to buy list is pretty darn short - Guardians of the Galaxy, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Edge of Tomorrow, How to Train your Dragon 2 and maybe Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.

4. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Not even Guardians Of The Galaxy? X-Men licked taints compared to Guardians.

5. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Saw The Amazing Spider-Man last night. Liked it quiet a bit. I think the movement, character, humor and everything is much much more spot on than the Toby McGuire portrayals. Not sure why it's totally bashed. My favorite marvel character finally has the feel of the old comic book Spider-Man. Hope they continue with this actor. And hope the nemesis and story lines improve.

6. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I think one factor that has caused Sin City to bite the dust is the heavy mean material. People are not wanting that right now. Maybe October would have been better. Well, that and it apparently isn't nearly as good as the first one.

7. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

The guy already got drummed out of Hollywood 20 years ago for his crummy work on the two Robocop sequels. Since then, he's concentrated on two things: overheated, brain-dead macho fantasies (he seems to have a special fondness for watching women get punched in the face), and losing studios money (The Spirit and Sin City 2 being the "best" examples). I hope this limp-dick loser never makes another movie.

8. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Birdman going wide soon. It's generating decent buzz, I think it'll be solid business for an indie-ish film and maybe land some Oscar nods. I don't know if it'll revitalize Keaton's career, but I've always liked him as an actor so it's great to see him in something exciting.

heatherly and mrstats like this.
  9. mrstats

mrstats Senior Member

I will see this one!

mikeyt likes this.
  10. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

It's great to see Michael Keaton back on the big screen. I'll definitely go see this. He's the real freaking Batman and always will be.

Drifter and mikeyt like this.
  11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

been a fan of Michael's since Night Shift!

mrstats and mikeyt like this.
  12. Michael

LOOKS GREAT! hope it does well...

mikeyt likes this.
  13. Michael

yea, like the average family doesn't have 50+ bucks to go see the latest BB...and they wonder why? Gotta love it...

14. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Deep voice mode: I'm...Birdman!

Yeah, I might check that one out too.

15. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Hey now this Robocop 2 workprint that been floating around for awhile.
    They cut a lot of Robocop 2 Tom Noonan was not happy with final robcop 2
    RoboCop 3 Is piece of crap though.
    How can you hate Magna Volt the ultimate solution:unhunh::laugh:

16. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Dude...I go WAY back...been a fan since his days workin' the Action Auction at MGR-TV:

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  17. mrstats

mrstats Senior Member

Same here.

heatherly likes this.
  18. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

I remember first seeing him in a short film where the whole world was set up to be handicapped accessible and he wasn't disabled. I heard him on the Marc Maron show awhile back sounded like a cool, grounded guy.

heatherly likes this.
  19. mongo

mongo Senior Member

Donut, Babe.

20. Michael

LOL! Damn I just love the guy! crazy man...

21. Michael

then we get him in the great Pacific Heights! what a stretch from night shift!

22. Michael

FAR OUT!!! Thanks for this. I did not know his humble beginnings! Cool...

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Spielberg will surprise you, once in awhile. He's related the story in interviewers where he did very elaborate storyboards for Schindler's List (as one example), but when he got to Poland to shoot the movie, he chucked all the storyboards into the trashcan because he got a totally different impression of the cities from the buildings there. He claims he completely winged the framing, the blocking, and the action, and I think this helped the movie visually and emotionally. Clearly, that payed off, given the number of Oscars the film won, plus it was very successful commercially -- for a relatively low-budget B&W film.

But then you look at stuff like War Horse, which I feel like was very, very calculated. I think there's a good movie in there, but it's to "storyboard-y," to coin a phrase. I feel like I'm glimpsing too much of the machinery underneath the visuals. I didn't feel that way with Lincoln, most of the time.

24. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Spielberg is really interesting in the way he shoots. I recall that on War of the Worlds an entire field had to be cleared of anything and everything, just in case he wanted to shoot in that direction. He doesn't really do coverage as he usually just knows what he wants or what will or won't work. Amazing. And on Lincoln, a film that I didn't really like, I saw some early storyboards and there was a dream sequence of young Lincoln and a watch that had me captivated. I don't think the entire sequence made it into the movie, but I think he uses storyboards as a reference and not anything to ultimately adhere to once he's on set. Their biggest use for Spielberg may just be for budgeting shots.

Vidiot likes this.
  25. GlamorProfession

GlamorProfession Forum Resident

eagerly awaiting all these to come out on Redbox

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.