XTC - Drums and Wires reissue - Spring 2014

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by modrevolve, Aug 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

Along with Neville Farmer, an old friend of the band who wrote the fabulous book 'XTC : Song Stories'.

Scooter59 and blue.monk like this.
  2. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Too bad this group could not tour in their prime late 80s period. They would have larger fan base.

3. blue.monk

blue.monk Forum Resident

Fantastic book. Andy, Colin & Dave participated and comment on virtually every song they recorded.

3rd Uncle Bob likes this.
  4. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

I just checked, and I was mistaken--it's a German pressing. Side 1 Matrix DM303475 - A - 1/2 - 89; Side 2 DM303475 - B - 1/2; Side 3 DM303476 - A - 1/2: side 4 DM303476 - B - 1/2, all machine stamped so faintly it's damn near impossible to read!

5. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

For an XTC fan, it's every bit as essential as Lewisohn's 'Complete Beatles Recording Sessions' is to a Beatles fan; you HAVE to go listen to the records after reading a chapter.

blue.monk and 3rd Uncle Bob like this.
  6. Ash76

Ash76 Wait actually yeah no

A while ago Andy spoke about doing another run of the corrected Skylarking on vinyl...has there been any further mention of this?

7. Redwood

Redwood Forum Resident

He says "Hopefully". Check out his twitter feed (lots of other great info posted there) - here's the most recent mention of another pressing of Skylarking vinyl (in the comments section): https://twitter.com/xtcfans/status/489371977313185793

Ash76 likes this.
  8. love4another

love4another Forum Resident

Why read any review then?

9. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

Sorry, my mistake. I was referring to Thanks for Christmas not Bags of Fun with Buster.

10. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

11. love4another

love4another Forum Resident

Is this album regarded as significantly better than Nonsuch? I really disliked that one.

12. Depends who you ask. Drums and Wires is the beginning of Dave Gregory's tenure with the band….the album has one foot in their past punk sound and one foot in their pop future. I think it is an excellent album. That said, if you really disliked Nonsuch maybe XTC is not the band for you.

13. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

I would say it is significantly better and also quite different, with a much more aggressive and angular sound. The first XTC album with two guitar players. I think the songwriting standard is also better. Nonsuch has some great songs but also many weak ones and it is too long IMO.
    Having said that, if you really disliked Nonsuch perhaps you should sample Drums And Wires first. It should not be too difficult between Amazon/Allmusic/Spotify/whatever.

My only gripe with this re-issue series is that it seems to move at snail pace. Yes and XTC SW-remixed re-issues started at the same time but Yes will have their third album out in October while this only the second for XTC with no hints about more releases on the way.

14. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

They're slower because EMI can't find the multitrack tapes (!).

If everything's OK, the next installment will be Oranges & Lemons, which is being finalized.

Will Harris, liv3evil and DonnyMe like this.
  15. Music Geek

Now that is great news. Hopefully we will get English Settlement too in the not too distant future.

Preston likes this.
  16. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I hope so, but for the moment they can't find the tapes... :(

17. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

That's a pretty strong statement. I never heard Nonesuch when it came out. I tried to stream it a couple of times when the remix came out and could never make it all the way through. I also bought Oranges & Lemons for $1 at a thrift store and was unimpressed. I love Drums & Wires, Black Sea, and English Settlement. XTC was one of the few New Wave bands I could stand back then.

Finch Platte likes this.
  18. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

My Fav XTC album in 5.1!!!!!! Ordering was a no-brainer.

19. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Some details here:

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/xtc-drums-and-wires-cdblu-ray/

Nonsuch never did much for me, but Drums and Wire has always been a favorite.

20. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

Pre-Ordered! A signed postcard from Andy is a nice touch!

21. varitone

varitone Forum Resident

Wow. Loved the Nonsuch editions, this could be even better. Includes demo sessions and rehearsal tape. What are the DJM re-recordings?

22. Hopefully they won't eliminated the cross fades with the remix for O&L

23. Wasn't it one of the "track zero" recordings on "Coat of Many Cupboards"? (Where you have to "rewind" at the beginning of the CD?)

24. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Steven Wilson has been quite faithful to the originals so far. Any changes to crossfades would only be by request of Mr. Partridge, methinks.

25. Music Geek

If they could just add cardboard cutouts of Steve Lillywhite and Hugh Padgham this re-issue would be perfect. :laugh:

Mr Sam likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.