Random Beach Boys moments that make you thankful to be a fan

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by I333I, Jul 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GRC

GRC Senior Member

The instrumental intro to California Girls is quite something.
    Harmonies of: warmth of the sun/please let me wonder/girls on the beach
    too much to list..........................

rstamberg likes this.
  2. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

They're in my top 3 of all time artists...#2 actually.

3. namretsam

namretsam Senior Member

4. ellaguru

ellaguru Forum Resident

that show in ann arbor in 1966 is the one that gets me there.

5. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

Carl's reaction to Brian's comment

6. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

I like listening for all of Brian's falsetto moments long after he supposedly lost the ability to sing with that voice. An example is the little ascending line one of the chorus of "Brian's" sings in "Let It Shine" at around 0:50

rstamberg likes this.
  7. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Moderator Note:

Member's are reminded to keep things friendly, if a posts offends you report it and let us deal with it and do not get into an argument!

8. Bill

Bill Senior Member

I was there. Awesome to hear the recording of it many miles later.
    The sky was the limit for them then, on the heels of the release of Good Vibrations and in the midst of the Smile sessions.
    Another moment for me is Sunflower..all of it. After the disappointments (for me) of their output after that night in Ann Arbor, this album was like an Indian summer...all good tracks, well produced, REAL stereo, each member contributing, new label, even a gatefold cover with great photos. Then things got a little dicey and then, with isolated exceptions, Endless Summer pretty much ended the flow of great new stuff, rendering them an oldies revue, like a flower from 1963-66 encased in amber. Seeing them live often in the 70s, I saw the transition in real time. The band slogging through its new stuff for 90 minutes to polite applause, ending with everybody going crazy to a closing medley of surf and car songs, with the tail eventually consuming the dog.
    Can't blame them. They gave the people what they wanted.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
    daveidmarx likes this.
  9. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

Numerous great times.... But sitting and relaxing with Pet Sounds has happened, when Carl's voice absolutely brings a sublime feeling of total bliss when "God Only Knows" envelopes me....

10. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

'She's Got Rhythm' from the otherwise disappointing M.I.U. Album has a helluva Falsetto from Brian. Always picks me up

daveidmarx and rstamberg like this.
  11. John54

John54 Senior Member

"a half a dozen deer with Rudy the lead" and "he's cruising every pad with a little surprise" from Little Saint Nick.

The piano roll before and the drum riff after "pink slip daddy" in Little Deuce Coupe.

Those low piano notes in Darlin'.

The choruses in Don't Worry Baby a full tone above the verses, and the transitions between.

The definitive version of Do You Wanna Dance.

The high notes and general smoothness of I Can Hear Music.

The immediacy of the (non-)intro to Heroes and Villains.

Let Him Run Wild, especially the way the melody goes back to the tonic just before the chorus.

The rhythm, the flute (?), everything about I'm Waiting For the Day, the best song on Pet Sounds (although if you would select the next one on this list, I won't complain).

God Only Knows.

willy likes this.
  12. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Mike Love allowed Brian Wilson to sing lead on a song about transcendental meditation for the Beach Boys produced Friends album. When Mike Love allowed Brian Wilson to do that, it showed a lot of class and humility on Mike Love's part.

13. HarborRat

HarborRat Forum Resident

The harmonies on Hushabye, heard especially well on the "vocals up" version on the Perfect Harmony comp. (I also like the drumming on that track - its Dennis, I think, not Hal Blaine.)

And another vote for the coda of God Only Knows, the most beautiful 45 seconds in all of popular music.

14. MaccaBeatles

MaccaBeatles Forum Resident

You guys might think i'm nuts but...

I LOVE the Monkey's Uncle!

Okay, it's pure dorkiness personified but it's just a terrific snapshot of early 60's white American culture. (and it's brilliant!)

It has some of the lamest lyrics in any pop song but its all goofy fun. :D
    Check out Mike and Annette Funicello's groovy dancing at 1:21, dig?

I believe this song also features the highest note Brian sang in the studio.

Now everyone after me,

ah, Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa! :D

15. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

seein mike n bruce this weekend!

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  16. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

BW's falsetto outro on Don't Back Down is one of my all time favorite Beach Boys moments. It was such a shame it was cut short for the stereo mix.

17. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

Hearing the beginning notes in the stereo mix of Wouldn't it Be Nice.
    Hearing the same song over and over on my sister's little record player when I was 4.
    Hearing Feel Flows for the first time over the end credits of Almost Famous.
    Using Don't Worry Baby for a stereo speaker placement and phase test over and over and absolutely falling in love with the song over and over. Man, those harmonies swooping in get me every time to this day.

18. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Fade to Vegetables - another example of Smile instrumental and vocal wizardry. How does he do it?

The falsetto I wanna cry in You Still Believe in Me

Time to Get Alone - especially the Hawthorne mix but always the standout on 20/20 for me since I bought it (along with a hundred or so other fans) when it was released

Hushabye - used to torture my college roommates by playing this over and over

it might have my wife on it - always makes me laugh, classic Brian

Chris M likes this.
  19. DEAN OF ROCK

DEAN OF ROCK Senior Member

Kiss Me Baby!

20. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

Their energetic performance on the TAMI show:

21. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

For me, it's Brian's vocals from the early 60's. It's the one thing that the group could never replace - that sense of longing, nostalgia and loneliness that was in the tone of Brian's voice. Just wonderful.

The intro to "Hushabye", his first verse in "Kiss Me, Baby", the note shifts on "Lonely Sea", the incredible "Warmth of the Sun" . . . . there are so many.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.