Can the Bob Dylan 1965-1966 LP Trilogy Be Topped?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerryb, Sep 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

2. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

LOL...subjectivity is amazing, isn't it? ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DrBeatle, somnar and ponkine like this.
  3. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

I was thinking Genesis as The Lamb and Trick are the numbers one and two Genesis albums in my book, but the albums on either end are far too flawed to complete the trilogy, as they both have too many skipable tracks:

SEBTP - most to least skipable - More Fool Me, After The Ordeal, Epping Forest - and even I Know What I Like is borderline - the rest is amazing - well, the end section of Dancing With Moonlight Knight does go on a bit...

W&W - everything after One For The Vine and before Blood On The Rooftops is skipable - the rest is amazing.

4. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

Well, if you wanna go there, I'd dump McCartney and replace it with the album on the other end to complete the trilogy, Ram.

Not to mention that the McCartney album is disqualified anyway, since Ringo's Beaucoups Of Blues came out in Sep 1970, so given the choice between that and Ram.........

Plus, you put them out of order - ATMP [Nov 70] was released before POB [Dec 1970]

DrBeatle likes this.
  5. moonshiner

moonshiner Forum Resident

No.

oh1 likes this.
  6. Sticks

Sticks Forum Resident

I was about to nominate those same records.

7. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

It's really hard for me to be as objective as I can about this and come up with examples of any three albums (let alone consecutive) by a pop/rock artist (I'm excluding jazz because I'm not qualified to say) that are the match of Dylan's BIABH/H61/BOB run. To apply an often-used sports analogy, these albums not only shifted the pop music goal posts, they basically created a whole new game. The three other albums in this same league I think would be Are You Experienced/Axis: Bold As Love/Electric Ladyland.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  8. Sorry that not everyone in the world loves Dylan. I could sit here all day and list artists that are better. I can't really stand him. Am I wrong? The OP's question is being answered, is it not?

starduster likes this.
  9. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

61-66
    Ten Of Swords
    a audiophile barbecue.

10. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Old Hag You Have Killed Me
    Out Of the Wind, Into The Sun

-The Bothy Band.

11. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I like that one. Though any 3 albums from "Autobahn" to "Computerwelt" would work for me.

profholt82 likes this.
  12. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

Sorry, I don't rate Bringing It All Back Home as up there with 61 and Blonde. Still, two out of three ain't bad.

13. Couldn't have said it better myself. :righton:

scompton and graystoke like this.
  14. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

Steely Dan with their first six, Aja being 6.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Forum Resident

I'm as big a Bob fan as the next loser, but from that electric trilogy, I only ever bother with Blonde On Blonde these days.

Such a genius album.

Actually, I'd argue that as far as Dylan trilogies go, Blood On The Tracks / Desire / Street-Legal gets far, far more earplay for me.

AZRunner and Clanceman like this.
  16. Jgirar01

Jgirar01 Forum Resident

Ok, my simple answer is that nobody has or ever will match this trilogy in influence of the music world. Of course, this is just one mans opinion!

sjaca likes this.
  17. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Rubber Soul
    Revolver
    Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

EndOfTheRainbow and DrBeatle like this.
  18. mraulino

mraulino Forum Resident

Big Pink - The Band - Stage Fright

SteveSDCA, rockinlazys and alankin1 like this.
  19. Tonmeister

Tonmeister Forum Resident

Did we have this? These would fully rival the Bob trilogy for me...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

KISS
    S/T
    Hotter Than Hell
    Dressed to Kill

Santana
    S/T
    Abraxas
    S/T (Santana III)

21. Linolad

Linolad Forum Resident

I assume you forgot about "Willy & The Poor Boys"?

22. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Personally in rock I don't think anything comes close to those three Dylan albums in a row, particularly impressive coming from a solo artist and songwriter.

No doubt there are rock acts who have had great multi album creative peaks, and some more than just three albums long (though so was Dylan's going from through the Basement Tapes and John Wesley Harding and back to Another Side). The bottom line, to my taste, is that Dylan is just so much better a songwriter than his peers, and the writing he was doing at that time was so fresh and different from everyone else's, that as good as, say the first three Hendrix albums are, or the first three Velvets albums are, or the Stones' run from Beggar's through Exile is, or the Beatles Help through Revolver or Sgt. Peppers (in truth an album I never cared for all that much), or Springsteen from the Wild & the Innocent...through Darkness, etc. -- they're not any better than Dylan's run.

Tonmeister likes this.
  23. Linolad

Linolad Forum Resident

Hi future city, all great music, but I would put "Eldorado" at the beginning and leave off "Discovery" for my four in a row "4-peat."

Futurecity likes this.
  24. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Well, here are SIX among many others that can surpass nearly all succession of a mere three great albums:

[​IMG]

Diamond Dog, wolfram and starduster like this.
  25. vinylphile

vinylphile Forum Resident

Ahhhhh...yes or know.
    :D

scobb likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.