New Dr Who Series 8 Directed by Ben Wheatley

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MC Rag, Aug 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Needs a new production and writing team ASAP. The running, shouting trying to be mysterious and intense while drowned out by LOUD MUSIC is just getting tired.

Other half wanted to watch it out of curiosity as we gave up on it about three years ago.

Oh the daleks are next...and then the Cybermen...how original.

Its just consuming itself.

New Tardis console is much better. Still too many levers and not enough round things though.

Rufus McDufus and Shawn like this.
  2. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I'll wait and see how it goes, but a new writing team and some new ideas would be good. I'm hoping that an older Doctor will get the focus back on the adventures and not romance.

I do miss the days when the companions were annoying. What would it take to get another Adric aboard the Tardis?

3. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

Peter will be a fine Doctor as he is a fine actor - it will just take some getting used to as with a change in every Doctor.

4. DreadPikathulhu

I think I already like him more than Matt Smith and possibly David Tennant.

fitzysbuna likes this.
  5. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I agree. I think if anything let's us down it'll be the story lines and not Capaldi's ability to handle them.

zobalob and Shawn like this.
  6. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Although I have enjoyed every series so far, to varying degrees, and I did enjoy the first episode of season 8, I can't help but feel the same way sometimes. I'm expecting the Weeping Angels to show up at some point too! It would be nice if they came up with some new enemies and didn't rely on the fan favourites. Maybe they could bring back some of the lesser known/used villains?

7. If Strax is the character with the best lines and scenes then that speaks volumes about the writing on the show!

8. DreadPikathulhu

Bring back the Yeti!

fishcane likes this.
  9. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

The T-Rex was stupid, unnecessary comic relief. The Doctor "translating" carried it to a new level of absurdity. I have to admit that I like Strax, and welcome his appearances.

10. DreadPikathulhu

Strax would make an interesting companion. I'm tired of the pretty blonde girls.

11. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Episode 2 was a big improvement over the first. You were right Deesky, Capaldi now has the chance to get into the character more. A bit of a rushed storyline but a load of fun for a Dalek lover like me. Exterminate! Exterminate!

12. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Marvellous episode and the banter between Clara and the Doctor was just as entertaining as in the first episode. I'll be interested to hear fan reaction over the soldier the Doctor sacrificed. Writing-wise, that was a very brave move. Straight away we're seeing a far more adult side of the character. Like it. Refreshing.

Hawkman, Karsten and zobalob like this.
  13. fiendish_thingy

fiendish_thingy Forum Resident

I found "Into the Dalek" to be a bit of a mess, all over the place and it seemed way too close to Eccleston's "Dalek," at least in the early going. Still, it had its moments and Capaldi is definitely growing into the role nicely. I think back to Jenna Coleman's first appearance with Smith's Doctor and wondered if this episode's big plot device might explain how she ended up where she ended up in that episode.

14. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Well the Doctor did say that the guy already as good as dead, i.e. impossible to save.
    I liked the little gag with the female soldier who went to heaven, having tea and cakes with Michelle Gomez (of Green Wing fame).

15. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

I thought that 'Into The Dalek' was absolutely brilliant!!!

Mylene, Barry Vaughan and zobalob like this.
  16. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I think plot-wise, the story was a bit of a mess and derivative (despite acknowledging Fantastic Voyage). I'm not even sure why they went inside in the first place - to fix a 'good' Dalek to become what, bad? Maybe there was a good reason for going in and I missed it...if anyone can enlighten me.

However, what I did like was the overall tone - that of a more grown up, serious doctor who wrestles with his own legacy and ponders his own ethical standards. It felt more mature, less puerile, while still having some fun with one-liners & slapstick now and again.

I also liked the exterior shots of space ships and asteroids, etc, but they really should have extended the use of the CGI to the Dalek itself because if looked like a hokey plastic mess. Heck, the Kuato twin looked better in Total Recall!

That seems to be a running theme. There was an after death experience at the end of the first ep too.

17. F_C_FRANKLIN

F_C_FRANKLIN Forum Resident

I have heard that the show vastly improves by the 3rd episode. The first one was 'clunky', this latest one had its flaws, however the new Doctor came more into own in his 2nd one.

18. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

I really hope the writers get their act together for the next episode...to second episode was even messier than the first! Fine actors and characters, but the writers are putting together stories that seem cobbled together in half an hour..... The preview of the next one seems nice, though...

19. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

I thought Ep 2 was quite good and an interesting spin on the Dalek story.

Capaldi is presenting another side to the Doctor - one that appears to be meaner and less afraid to sacrifice others to win a battle. He's also more self centered. Quite a difference from the 2 previous Doctors and closer to Ecclestone's Doctor.

Looking forward as to what develops.

20. DreadPikathulhu

Good episode, though the whole idea of shrinking people to perform surgery just doesn't make sense if you think about it.

I do like the Capaldi Doctor very much!

21. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Rufus McDufus, Shawn and Deesky like this.
  22. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

As opposed to the Tardis itself? If you really think about it, none of the DrWho scripts make any sense (to varying degrees). It's a matter of accepting certain things in order to buy into the overarching narrative. However, sometimes it's a bridge too far.

For me with this episode the whole notion of interfering with a 'good' Dalek made no sense. And while I could swallow the miniaturization conceit (it's been done many times before in other shows/movies, including ST DS9), I couldn't swallow the need for 'antibodies' floating inside a metal/robotic system, nor how sparse the interior of the Dalek looked, given its supposed sophistication.

Also, the episode just had too many recycled elements including the obvious Fantastic Voyage lift, Star Wars garbage scene analog, recycled themes from the previous episode called Dalek, and continued harping about the Doctor's goodness/badness.

Karsten likes this.
  23. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

You know, to this day I still find the Lost In Space robot to be a terrific piece of design.

Shawn and jriems like this.
  24. DreadPikathulhu

I was wondering how they came out of the garbage chute so dry and clean looking in the next scene...

25. redfloatboat

redfloatboat Forum Resident

i can't stand his assistant, the one with the big eyes. the show loves big eyes. david tenant always had that wide-eyed expression, and now clara has taken over.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.