Beatles Mono VINYL Box Set - 8th September 2014 Release Date (Part 7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joel Cairo, Aug 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

Uh oh - now the thread is going to melt down :agree:

2. Buddhahat

Buddhahat Forum Resident

God, it's unbearably selfish of me but, much that'd I'd love everyone who wants this set to be able to purchase one, I'm also kind of pleased about this news as it really justifies that £288 shaped hole in my wallet now ...

nesboy43 and Ash76 like this.
  3. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

No I think its kinda great too - I hope everyone who wanted one has got an order in and that it is limited.

OTH it is Universal and it is a business so I wont hold my breath :rolleyes:

John Bliss and Buddhahat like this.
  4. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

From what I understand it is to do with how the record is actually cut. To cut a record you have to play the tape all the way through at once, as you can't stop and start when cutting. So if the leaders are fragile there is a risk the tape could be damaged doing this. For the mono cd set they could just play one song at a time, stop, check everything was ok and so on.

5. CoryS

CoryS Forum Resident

Its still listed on amazon.ca for pre-order.

6. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

That's beside the point. They may have ordered 2000 copies and only have pre sales for 1500 so far, so of course they will still list it.

I just hope that any retailers who don't get enough fulfil the orders in date order!

7. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I'll be interested to read from members here with the best early mono pressings how these stack up in direct comparisons. (I read Fremer's review quickly- it sounds like he didn't have an early pressing to hand, but made the comparison based on hearing the old copy at a friend's, and tried to duplicate the set-up at his casa).*
    While I remember The Beatles on Ed Sullivan, and was of course affected by their music at the time of each release, I didn't really focus on the 'right' pressings- though I'm now starting to, better late than never.

______
    *Edit- I quickly re-read his first review. It seems like he heard the first pressing at a friend's, and tried to duplicate the playback set up, but also had the early pressing at his place. A little confusing.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
    Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  8. Buddhahat

Buddhahat Forum Resident

Me too!

If this news from Universal is true and not just sales hype, I wonder if we'll start to see prices go up now, especially Amazon's.

9. HarvG

HarvG Senior Member

And in related news, M. Howard , L. Fine, and C. Howard are being brought in as management consultants at EMI/Universal.

Tommyboy likes this.
  10. Buddhahat

Buddhahat Forum Resident

If the news of an underestimation of demand is true, isn't this exactly what happened with the mono CD box, and won't they just manufacture a load more? Or is that all the more tricky as these are AAA and McGee would have to get the master tapes out again? Excuse my ignorance but even after 100+ pages I'm still unclear as to what the cutting process is here! I guess I'm just wondering if this limited set truly is limited vs the CD box.

11. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

I'm not an expert, but I believe that if they have to do more pressings, they have to re-cut (they can't use again the same plate, or can they?). In any case, I think that if they produce another run, possibly it will not sound exactly the same.

12. Vinyl_Blues

Vinyl_Blues Slave to the Groove

I'm thrilled that this Beatles mono box is all-analog. But I'm curious, why wasn't this same effort put into the stereo vinyl box? Seems strange to do it for one box, but not another. Perhaps there's an easy answer that I missed somewhere in reading a thousand pages on the subject here :laugh:

13. Alex Zabotkin

Alex Zabotkin Forum Resident

Don't forget that the CD box was heavily pirated.

SteevG likes this.
  14. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

They didn't do that box with audiophiles in mind, hence the digital mastering and compression. There was an outcry regarding that, so they changed their tune for this one.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  15. mikrt17

mikrt17 Life has surface noise.

I'm very sceptical about this announcement as it's not official it's from a record store
    Amazon and many other stores are still taking pre-orders, if the demand is there then
    Universal will fill it at the end of the day it's a business.

aroney, AnalogJ and aoxomoxoa like this.
  16. Ash76

Ash76 Wait actually yeah no

Did you watch his unboxing video? He had originals for comparison

17. Peter Pyle

Peter Pyle Forum Resident

Heavy demand for the Beatles? Really? Who would of thunk it? :)

I hope this goes right to the #1 spot on Amazon and the others. Go Fab Four!

kipper15 likes this.
  18. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

19. Alex Zabotkin

Alex Zabotkin Forum Resident

Their goal was to put the digital remasters on vinyl. I know it's sad. :cry: As you know, unlike the mono remasters, the stereos are very processed. It wouldn't be possible to replicate the same moves when cutting from the original analog masters. Of course, it is possible to cut from the tapes, but you won't get the same results this way.

20. beatleswho

beatleswho Forum Resident

Maybe a dumb question, but what is the process from the master tape to the vinyl? I would like to know the process for this box.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  21. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Maybe it's just the box with the book to be "limited", and individual LPs may be available for some time. Who knows? Universal bought EMI; I would expect them more than determined to recoup all the money spent and more.

22. mihu

mihu Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure that it's only the box with the book. Since ca. 70000 copies of each album are produced the individual albums should be availably for some time.

23. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I had the same thought.

24. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

OH MY GOD IN HEAVEN!

Tommyboy likes this.
  25. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I thought it was Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe.

chacha and Tommyboy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.