George Harrison - The Apple Years Box Set (Pt3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Aug 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. botley

botley Forum Resident

Harrison approved it that way while he was alive.

theMess likes this.
  2. I'm not one who usually posts about buying or shipping, but WTF. I just pulled the trigger on this at Bull Moose. $96.97 Shipped.

And I am most excited about Wonderwall and I enjoy playing Electronic Sounds while I work. I love how the promo video opened with George's great great guitar lick from Ski ing. For me, Wonderwall is one of his Top 5 Albums and probably the second or third best in this Apple Box. # 2 is a toss up of Material World and Wonderwall for me.

3. jeighson1

jeighson1 Forum Resident

I'm sure this doesn't affect your enthusiasm, but it's not 7 minutes of unseen footage. Rather the feature is 7 minutes, and it contains a few frames of unseen footage somewhere in it.

By the bi, does anyone know whether the feature will get a wide release or just a limited theatrical release?*

*;)

4. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Do think George is playing the guitar lick, or is it Eric Clapton (who I always thought is playing it)? Arnie

She is anyway, theMess and mrjinks like this.
  5. ah good question?? Either way I love it. I never though any less of Gently Weeps w him, so.....

theMess and Millington like this.
  6. OK, from what I have always understood and read somewhere, years ago is- It's Remo Four with Clapton playing the lead lick, and Ringo sitting in on the drums, not their regular drummer.

7. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

That's what I thought, or some variation of those musicians and maybe a few others, like Peter Tork on a banjo on some tune. In fact, some sources do not have George as playing anything on the album. But I don't know if that was true, or if George just didn't want to credit himself.

Arnie

She is anyway and theMess like this.
  8. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Rumor has it - iMax 3D only!

And - oh yes - just ordered at BullMoose for $95.57. Under a Franklin for this is so much more palatable than the amazon / list price. (I don't know why BM priced it like that, as the item is listed at 96.97 - oh well.)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  9. I'll be interested to listen to it again, but, I remember my original impressions are he is no where on it. I have heard rumours of things like Tork on bits and pieces as well. The thing is crafted so well with so many edits, it's almost impossible to get what's going on, or who is on what, or where.

10. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

Have had a quick listen to some of the samples up on iTunes Australia. The sample of Miss O'Dell listed as a bonus track on LITMW is the laughing version. None of the samples I listened to jumped out as being too different to what I've been used to all these years (but they are samples though so maybe the CDs will sound different).

11. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Peter Tork on banjo is heard on the actual soundtrack of the movie and is not on the album. Hopefully the Wonderwall bonus tracks features Tork on those tracks.

[​IMG]

12. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

Putting the additional bonus tracks for LITMW on the dvd is one of the lamer things there. That and they could've put the ATMP bonus tracks at the end after the jam session. And included more on the dvd, and some more bonus tracks and...wait there are a lot of lame things about this. Glad to get Dark Horse and Extra Texture though.

13. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

I thought we were getting the previous boxset re-released as well?

joeislive likes this.
  14. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

A lame dark horse perhaps?

15. supermd

supermd Senior Member

They could have easily put those two LITMW tracks on the CD. Now I have to go through the trouble of ripping the audio off the DVD. It's not really a bother to me, but most people who buy this box will not rip the audio, therefore being limited to only being able to listen to it on the DVD. It was silly of them to place these on the DVD in 2006 the first place.

16. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

such a bitter turn this thread has taken.

I am happy to have a remastered DH and ET. Happy that Bangla Desh is remixed and included in this box set. happy that we get an early take of Dark Horse.

I want the archives to be opened up...but this set is fine with me. :hide:

17. jricc

jricc Senior Member

Hey Sean, any chance of you posting your 44 track list? I know a lot of work, but it would be cool to see everything in one place...
    if not, no worries:righton:

slane, theMess, mrjinks and 1 other person like this.
  18. Millington

Millington Forum Resident

Mazzy. I have read, I think it was in the Bluray booklet of Wonderwall, which came out in April. That the guitar work on Ski-ing, is by Mr. Eric Clapton.

Mazzy and theMess like this.
  19. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I'm envisioning one of the saddest parts about this new set, and it hasn't happened yet.

Inevitably, Mojo or Rolling Stone or The Today Show or ______ will do an interview with Olivia and/or Dhani, as they'll likely do some minimal PR campaign for this thing. What do you think the odds are that an interviewer will ask about an "Early Takes, Vol. 2" or the unissued tracks left in the vaults?

I'd say "slim".

She is anyway, JimC and theMess like this.
  20. Bubba Boy Sam

Bubba Boy Sam Forum Resident

Call me disappointed. Mind blowing? More like mind numbing. I'll pass on the box - unless the price is reduced. Otherwise, I'll cherry pick one or two titles when they get to Best Buy, hopefully, at 10 bucks a pop.

Carserguev and JimC like this.
  21. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Sure, I guess I'm disappointed, but not surprised with the official details. However thats only because I built up such expectations, so I'm totally to blame for that. The positive news is that Georges entire catalog has now been upgraded, and I hope like another member said earlier, that with this out of the way, the Harrison estate can focus on giving fans the sought after stuff, like a Dark Horse tour dvd, and continuing of the Early Takes series...
    Now come on Ringo, I'm still waiting for your catalog to get its due,at least the Apple albums! A 75th birthday would be a great excuse...

theMess likes this.
  22. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

For once, iTunes seems to have got the price right at $60! I am still not convinced about dropping $100 on this - probably might stick to getting few individual titles or wait for the box to go on sale at some point.

GetHappy!! likes this.
  23. Dirceu

Dirceu Well-Known Member

Since iTunes Brazil don't have preview of the songs, what you guys felt about the new remaster? It is close to Beatles / Lennon / McCartney releases?

24. Roland S.

Roland S. Forum Resident

Hey, it´s for guys like me. I have no early GH Album. I will buy the hole box.

25. jordanlolss

jordanlolss Forum Resident

Same.. I'm really excited for this box because I don't have any of these albums on CD yet.. (Except ATMP) :winkgrin:

Millington likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.