HDTracks News (part 7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Aug 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

I'm hoping so much that the Sleater-Kinney catalog is 24/96. I have all the vinyl but it'd be nice to have some hi-rez transfers too. I might check out the Hawkwind and Willie. The Big Star is likely an SACD transfer, if it is I'll pass as I already have it and it's not that great. If it's confirmed to be a new transfer then I might give it a go. I've never really liked any digital copy of those compared to the original vinyl they are very thin.

2. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

The Big Star is newly remastered. There is a thread on it.

3. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I am trying to understand how a hi res of anything by Black Oak Arkansas would be a benefit. Don't get me wrong.....I have most all of their albums and really like their music. I just don't see how hi res would improve it. I'm curious to hear reviews from anyone who buys it.

The Hawkwind Space Ritual sounds interesting. Again, interested in hearing how it sounds.

art likes this.
  4. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

Hi res of anything originally recorded and mastered in analog will benefit from hi res no matter how poor the production or recording. Hi res preserves many of the analog attributes better than 16/44.1 does.

rxcory, marcb, therockman and 3 others like this.
  5. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Agreed. :agree:

6. art

art Senior Member

Anyone download the Big Star hi-res?

7. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

It looks like they are new versions of the INXS albums on HDtracks. Does anybody have them that can compare to the old versions?

8. vinylphile

vinylphile Forum Resident

If anyone has DR information on Sleater-Kinney please do share. Excited about a 24/96 release but cautious due to the word "remaster".

Edit: Just checked the DR database for the original digital releases. Holy dynamic compression! Hopefully the new remasters will not be squashed like that!

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  9. SammyU

SammyU Forum Resident

Tom Petty's "The Last DJ" and "She's The One" are up....if anyone has purchased them, please share your impressions/DR info if possible.

10. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Sleater Kinney have a vinyl collection coming out and it states : The albums were remastered by Sterling Sound's Greg Calbi from the original analog tapes.

I assume thats where the HD tracks files come from.

Mij Retrac likes this.
  11. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Yes, they sound excellent. Listen to the samples; they are representative.
    I downloaded One Beat, and it doesn't sound squashed to me. In fact, it sounds more natural and detailed than I remember my original vinyl release sounding. You can hear individual hits on Janet Weiss' ride cymbal.

12. 666666

666666 Forum Resident

I'd love to see DR info on Sleater-Kinney's The Woods if anyone has downloaded it. Thanks.

13. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

The Woods doesn't say 'remastered' like the other SK releases do but it was remastered for the vinyl set so I'm hoping it's just a labeling issue

14. davidbix

davidbix Forum Resident

The new ones are all 24/44, too, with the old 24/96 (and 24/192) versions of the albums they had at those resolutions gone.

15. JTS

JTS Forum Resident

Comparing it to my 1992 Stax/Ardent CD, it is slightly better. A touch clearer, particularly in the low end. I was hoping for a greater improvement. Perhaps there isn't much more that can be done with the original source. Once again I am telling myself not to get hung up on small details; just enjoy the music.

art and Mij Retrac like this.
  16. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I'm pretty certain these are the Rhino remasters. There was a problem with one track on the original Underneath The Colours release. They never fixed it, but gave me a link to the track from the new HD Tracks release of the album. It was clearly from a different master, as it was about 40% louder than the first HD Tracks release.

17. jmacvols

jmacvols Forum Resident

It appears both titles have been removed for some reason.

18. jmacvols

jmacvols Forum Resident

19. hazard

hazard Forum Resident

Big Star LP is USD18 on HDTracks. The 2fer SACD (including Radio City) is AUD19.50, including postage, from ImportCD. The download doesn't appear to be competitively priced, unless someone can tell me that its way better than the SACD. Can anyone do a comparison? I've been looking at the SACD for a while, and it seems that I won't get a better price.

20. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

So... I am reading this right? The INXS albums have been replaced on HDtracks with lower rez and louder versions?

21. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

22. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Seems like it. I don't know if all the albums are that way, but Underneath The Colours certainly is. The self-titled debut, Shabooh Shoobah and The Swing were all previously available in 96/24 and I think in 192/24 as well. But now they are just 44.1/24.

23. integriscdp

integriscdp Active Member

Listen Like Thieves was also previously available in 96/24 and 192/24. I have the 192/24 and it mirrors the dynamics and volume of the original CD pressings (i.e. not loud or compressed).

There was also previously a 44/24 version of Kick, which has also disappeared. Not sure if it was the same mastering as currently available in the 'Collection'.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  24. palazzo

palazzo Member

Tom Petty's first album (at 24/44.1) has now been removed from listing by hdtracks. And they were the only ones who had it. I wonder why it went.

25. SammyU

SammyU Forum Resident

I suspect it could be due to the launch of the Pono store next month. It has been announced the Tom Petty signature edition Pono player (which was only available for order via kickstarter several months ago) will ship with a 24/96 version of 'Wildflowers' as well as 'Hypnotic Eye' in 24/48. As Mr. Petty is on board with Pono, hopefully well see his catalog in 24/96 or 24/192 on the Pono store.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.